• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Does knowledge of Japanese matter?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • Pokemon does not use kanji. <_< Thus I can't tell when one word ends and another begins. It's frustrating. :C I can apparently play games like Kingdom Hearts no problem but give me Pokemon in Japanese and I don't know what's what.

So I just wait for the English versions. Pokemon relies so heavily on a bazillion different Pokemon, types, items, attacks, abilities, etc. that I just can't help but feel like I'm really missing out when I play. Not knowing that stuff off by heart just sounds tedious. I memorized that crap once in one language, I'm not doing it again. :(

Ayselipera

I can't stand not knowing what everything says, so I'm just going to wait for the english version.

Jordan...

Hello :D
    Years
  • I got gold/silver when i was 5 and i cant remember anything that happened in them. Ill wait untill the english version of hg/ss is out.

Plus i wouldnt know what the hell i was suppose to do if i imported the japanese version.

Years
  • Pokemon does not use kanji. <_< Thus I can't tell when one word ends and another begins. It's frustrating. :C I can apparently play games like Kingdom Hearts no problem but give me Pokemon in Japanese and I don't know what's what.

So I just wait for the English versions. Pokemon relies so heavily on a bazillion different Pokemon, types, items, attacks, abilities, etc. that I just can't help but feel like I'm really missing out when I play. Not knowing that stuff off by heart just sounds tedious. I memorized that crap once in one language, I'm not doing it again. :(
    Don't the words have spaces between them, though? Although I guess telling apart different pronunciations of particles would be difficult since they're essentially attached to words...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    It matters to me. I once tried to play Yellow in Japanese (this was back before it was even thought that Pokemon would be popular), and couldn't really understand it. Because of that, I couldn't enjoy the game, and I never touched it again.

So yes, I would like to know what's going on in a game when I play it, even with something like Pokemon. You have the attacks and natures of your team, and I would like to know what my Pokemon are doing when they're in battle.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • Pokemon in English = Awesome!
    Pokemon in Japanese = No offense, but it sucks.

Why does the Language Problem bothers me? That's simple enough... I hate Japanese!! It sucks! Ever since I knew there is such a Language called English, I found it easy to learn and found that Japanese is... bad and it sucks by the way.

That's why even waiting 6 Months for the English Version of Heart Gold and Soul Sliver
    DOESN'T bother me. That's just mainly I think that Pokemon is always cool in English, at least that's what I think.

Note: As you know, almost all of the Games I have for DS and PSP are all in English because English rocks!!!

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2016
    I always liked the idea of playing a game in its original language (especially if it's Japanese), also I care a lot about story, so probably I'll just have my browser open to search for anything I don't know. As it doesn't use kanji, I can easily type it.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • Now if they were never going to make it into English then I would defently get the Japanese version. STEEL BLUE!

I highly doubt that Nintendo and Game Freak are never gonna make HG and SS in English. Because if they don't translate it, nobody is going to play it and Nintendo and Game Freak won't make a lot of money.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • I would definately get English, the story is important, makes it different from other games, besides some people dont know the story because they have never played the original-like me:(

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I just started playing EOTS and it's hell not knowing what the words say, all I can understand is Pokemon Chunsoft Present, and some basic stuff like yes and no

I'd definitely be waiting for the english version of this, I've learned my lesson no to play a Pokemon game in Japanese

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2016
    Pokemon in English = Awesome!
    Pokemon in Japanese = No offense, but it sucks.

Why does the Language Problem bothers me? That's simple enough... I hate Japanese!! It sucks! Ever since I knew there is such a Language called English, I found it easy to learn and found that Japanese is... bad and it sucks by the way.

That's why even waiting 6 Months for the English Version of Heart Gold and Soul Sliver
    DOESN'T bother me. That's just mainly I think that Pokemon is always cool in English, at least that's what I think.

Note: As you know, almost all of the Games I have for DS and PSP are all in English because English rocks!!!

Short Comment:
    Simplicity = Dumbing Down

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
  • I don't care. I've played mystery dungeon 2 in japanese before it came out, and im gonna do the same with HG/SS. As long as you're familiar with previous games and can pretty much anticipate the menus/trial and error you're fine. The japanese games still say: HP, PP, ATK, SP.ATK, SP.DF, etc so i'm fine with it. and for attacks, just trial and error in a wild battle. If they learn a new one, then go to a pokemon database and see what moves they learn at what level before learning or declining.

Doxasikyrie

ハリストス復活!? ??に復活!
    Years
  • I don't care. I've played mystery dungeon 2 in japanese before it came out, and im gonna do the same with HG/SS. As long as you're familiar with previous games and can pretty much anticipate the menus/trial and error you're fine. The japanese games still say: HP, PP, ATK, SP.ATK, SP.DF, etc so i'm fine with it. and for attacks, just trial and error in a wild battle. If they learn a new one, then go to a pokemon database and see what moves they learn at what level before learning or declining.

That's my philosophy. It also helps those of us who play the Japanese versions when we have great sources such as Serebii and Bulbapedia (which has a lot of the information with Japanese and English side-by-side for things like natures, items, mystery gift, etc.)

Back