• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does OT matter to you?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    When catching or breeding a Pokemon, does its Original Trainer matter to you? Do you prefer to have it be your name, or do you not mind if the Pokemon belonged to someone else with a different name?

For me, I kinda like having a team that belongs to my trainer because it has my name on it. However there are some Pokemon that were bred and have different Original Trainers and it doesn't bother me too much because it saves me time to breed another. It's more a preference really. I guess I'm possessive over my Pokemon lol.

Years
  • Not really, but sometimes if I like how it looks then that helps me. I have quite a few Pokémon on Omega Ruby that were breeding leftovers from X, and have my ID from that.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It really doesn't bother me too much, it's not something I'd really pay attention to. The only reason this would be an issue is if obviously I'd want to nickname the Pokemon.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Id rather they were mine but im not too bothered. To be honest its mainly the few legendarys/event pokemon ive traded or received thaty dont have my OT so that doesnt bother me.

If I didnt breed/catch one of my team though that would bother me.

Ive just re-bred my whole team from Gen 5 in OR so they are all gen 6 pokemon (plus added Greninja and Tyrantrum from Gen 6) so now im fully up to date and all my current OT. I always use the same trainer name in all games regardless.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Kinda....well yes.

I don't like having a Pokémon with another trainers OT on any of my main teams. It just doesn't look right.

It's why I bred a Skrelp in X rather than just use the one I got from the GTS.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • For the most part, yes. But it normally doesn't concern me as I breed my teams from scratch. I also like to change the names of my Pokémon on occasion so it helps to keep the OT under my name. It can also tell sometimes whether or not a Pokémon is legitimate coming from the GTS.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    personally, it bothers me from time to time....especially when i really want a pokemon and its labeled under someone else.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    It only bothers me for my main team for my first run through of a new game. Other then that no not really. I have a different id for my male Pyroar for one of my secondary teams on X. I got it from wonder trade and named Mufasa.
    For my omega Ruby I have 5 team members with my X id

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It depends on the game. In games where each badge lets you control another ten levels of traded Pokemon, I don't care as much. In older games where it traded off between upping a stat and upping the level of traded Pokemon you can handle, that's when I was a bit more meticulous in planning when I would add traded Pokemon, in any, to my team.

Generally though, I don't really care, unless it's not named. Then I'm bummed that I can't give it a name.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Just imagine you get high level pokemon and with insufficient badge to go with, the traded pokemon will not listen to your command until the you'll get enough badge to make it listen to you and plus side; a little EXP boost is good, but may be bad if in level 10+ boundaries

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I typically prefer to be the original trainer because it means I can nickname/re-nickname the Pokemon whenever I want. Nicknames are very important to me and I won't use a Pokemon without a nickname with a different OT because I cannot change it. If OT didn't matter in regards to that though, I likely wouldn't care. Traded Pokemon are extremely handy to level up more quickly, after all. And I believe they breed faster.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It kind of does matter to me, yeah.

When using Pokémon that does not have my name on them, it kind of feels as if... well, they're not actually mine, even though I am using them. If it's the opposite, however, things don't seem that way at all, which is good.

Whenever I wind up getting a hold of Pokémon with others' OT, at least in most cases, I wind up storing them in my PC box without much question, and trade them with friends when I get the opportunity to do so.

Years
  • I don't mind at all! OT is something I hardly even look at so other people's names there isn't an issue at all. I just like owning Pokemon I'm after regardless of whether I got it myself or from someone else.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    I don't trade till after last gym so level is irrelevant. I like having foreign Pokemon so its not an issue. Plus they are easier to train.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • It really depends on the case. Like if I like a pokemon a pokemon loads, I'd prefer to catch my one of the kind and train it on my own.

Years
  • I nickname every single one of my Pokemon outside of legendaries, so not being the OT is a huge deal to me, unless the person I got it from gave it a decent nickname. If we could rename any traded Pokemon, then I could care less who caught/bred the Pokemon, but it's a big deal breaker for me if I've got 5 nicknamed Pokemon, and then have the 6th without one.

Back