• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does pressing A+B+Down actually work?

CrowSama

Too. Much. Caffine.
Years
  • Since the dawn of time, trainers have been using the simple button combo in hopes that they will capture their legendary Pokemon in that one last Ultra Ball. But does it actually work? I would say it does, but only because I've caught my legends that way (Actually, I've been using Left-Shoulder+Down+Rapidly pressing A since the Gen. 3)

Then again I think it wouldn't work. Over time, the Pokemon game makers have responded to the way the community uses it's systems. For example, we used to clone using the old system of having to save before you switched PC boxes. This was changed in Gen. 3 when they introduced a system where users could simply scroll across their boxes. I would think the same principal would apply to the A+B+Down (or LS+Down+Rapid A) that it would change overtime. I'm interested in preforming a study on this for a report for an AP class, so if anyone would care to record their data for me, that would be great. (Just record how many of what kind of ball you had to use to catch a legend while pressing the buttons, then do it again while not pressing them. Help is appreciated.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    In never worked in any game and the sheer number of conflicting theories should be enough to show that it's mere speculation backed up by shoddy anecdotal evidence.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Nah, it's never worked and I don't expect it ever will work. I still do it sometimes though in anticipation.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • No. It doesn't work. It's randomly determined, and the odds increase based on the Pokemon's remaining HP, status ailment, type of ball, and if it ends up being a critical capture (Gen 5 only). From the point you choose to use the ball, it's already been determined how many times the ball is gonna shake and if you're gonna capture it.

Years
  • I always mash B for no reason. I know it doesn't work, but I've done it since I started playing with Ruby (my first Pokemon game. My brother got Crystal, but I never played much until GenIII). I do the same thing when I'm hoping to get a Critical Hit, but when my pokemon are confused, I come close to putting my game down just to make sure I don't touch anything. xD I know it doesn't matter what I do, but as a kid, it seemed to make a difference to me and the habits just stuck. If I hit any buttons when I was Confused, it would make me hit myself. If I mashed B fast enough (never A for some reason), I would get Crits and capture easier. It's all just habit to me. :P

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • That combination doesn't really work, even though I've done a similar button combination. I don't know who came up with this.

Back