• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does the 3DS mark the last of the Nintendo DS systems?

Everyone Esplode Noaw

Resident Russia Fanboy
    Years
    Do you think that the 3DS will be the last of the Nintendo DS systems or will Nintendo pull another one out in a few years?

Note: This is not singularly about the 3DS, so it does not go into the 3DS discussion thread.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think it is. There was Gameboy and Gameboy Color. There was Gameboy Advance and Gameboy Advance SP. DS has had way more versions than either of those, and there's not much more they can do with it.

Although they may make something entirely different and slap the name "DS" on it to attract customers.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    It's hard to think of new innovative ideas Nintendo might have for the future for the DS. I mean, the 3DS is rockin' right now. It's hard to think of anything they can do to one-up it. But I think eventually flaws of the 3DS will come to light - or they'll get more demand for something else. When that happens, something new will be made. But until then, I think it's too early to tell.

Speed

Skyward
    Years
    Probably, but I know they'll be another model of the 3DS. But the next handheld we get will probably be completely new. And it'll be in 4D.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Game Boy -> Game Boy Color -> Game Bod Advance

Nintendo DS -> Nintendo 3DS

We've got at least one more round. 3DS is a new system, it's not like the DSlite or something.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I... don't think so. There's going to be many more possibilities.

My prediction is thought controlled. Recently, research on brain waves and their reading and interpretation has progressed. Some hybrid between brain thought control and classical control and touch control. What a mouthful!

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2011
    Sadly, I think so. What else could Nintendo improve on?

Better hardware, dual analog.

I mean, each new iteration of the Game Boy was basically about better hardware and/or improved controls. The 3DS certainly offers just that over the DS, and I imagine future iterations will do the same.

No, I don't think the DS line is over. The original DS showed quite a bit of longevity, and the 3DS will probably show the same amount. When the passage of time requires an improvement in DS controls and hardware, we'll get the next one.

Also, I should add that asking whether Nintendo needs to release another handheld in the future is sort of like asking whether they need to release another console. Of course they do. There will always, always be a need to improve the core power of handheld systems, just as there will always be a need to release new consoles to accommodate new possibilities for games. In terms of graphics and processing power, I imagine the 3DS is actually behind the Sony NGP--which I personally don't care about but it means there's already room for significant improvement. When they do introduce a new type of handheld (which I do believe must happen eventually), I'm sure they'll take everyone by surprise.

I mean, after the Game Boy Advance, where did we think they'd take gaming next? We just predicted better graphics, but Nintendo offered quite a bit of innovation.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2011
    Well, hypothetically, once we unlock the 4th dimension, it would probably come out with the 4DS. Or something like that.
    We are always inventing new things.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Well, hypothetically, once we unlock the 4th dimension, it would probably come out with the 4DS. Or something like that.
    We are always inventing new things.

The 4th dimension, while still controversial, is mostly thought to be time.....and how do you "unlock time" ?

There's definitely gonna be a 3DS revision. I know nobody is happy with that horrid battery life and a better screen resolution along with better 3D effects would be a plus. (Perhaps the addition of multiple sweet spots instead of just one)

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2011
    50,000 years later

"Yo Frank!"
    "What, what is it?"
    "The 947503475DS came out last week."
    "I know right, I have the 947503474DS, Im gonna get it soon, and put it in my database."
    "Sweet."

That, my friends, is 50,000 years in the future. Does that now answer the question?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    There's definitely gonna be a 3DS revision. I know nobody is happy with that horrid battery life and a better screen resolution along with better 3D effects would be a plus. (Perhaps the addition of multiple sweet spots instead of just one)

You can't improve the screen resolution because that'd be useless for every current game - and it's unlikely that developers would be happy with making games in two different resolutions.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    That's very true. The DSi XL went for the bigger screen appeal but it just stretched the image and made it look crappy. =/

Hopefully they'll work on the battery life and a more efficient way to produce the 3D effects by using a screen designed to have more sweet spots.

The 947503475DS thing is irrelevant right now. xD lmao

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    The 4th dimension, while still controversial, is mostly thought to be time.....and how do you "unlock time" ?

Alot of things can just be added to the 3DS. The 3DS is a completely different system than the DS, but technical specifications such as better graphics and memory can always be added to previous models to make a better system with more gaming opportunities, so I don't believe this is the last DS-based system, like the Game Boy Advance was to the original Game Boy

blue

gucci
    Years
    Not necessarily, they're always coming up with new ideas.. technology is evolving before our eyes.
    They can always add new and improved features to the 3DS like they did with the original Nintendo DS, making the DS Lite & DSi & DSi XL.

Back