• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does the location of the Pokestop determine what you get in eggs?

Illusionss

Banned
Years
  • I live in a rural area with not many Pokestops, but I've hatched around 40-50 10km eggs and usually get Eevee's, Jynx's, Pinsir's ect....and never gotten one of the big Pokemon (Snorlax, Lapras, Aerodactyl, Chansey or even a Dratini). Just the other day I picked up my first 10km egg in a big city and it hatched into a Snorlax and the location says the city in which I picked up the egg even though I hatched it back home. So obviously the Pokemon we get in eggs are determined as soon as we spin the Pokestop, but is it also more common to hatch one of the better Pokemon from eggs picked up in built up areas? Seems too much of a coincidence for it all to be completely random.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    I hatched a Dratini 8 days ago and it says it is from "Cambridge, MA", so apparently I got the egg during my recent trip to Massachusetts. So it is possible.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2017
    It is definitely pre-determined upon spining however whether there is/are pre-determined / hard-coded pokemons that will hatch per specific pokestop, this one has no solid evidence yet.

I have tested specific pokestops with the same KM eggs but did not yield the same result. While it is true that egg hatching is based on the pokestop location you got it from, there is no guarantee that you will get the same pokemon from a similar KM egg from that specific pokestop every single time.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Inconclusive. Some people think so due to their experiences. Some people can't tell.

I'm in the boat that locations do dictate what you get. Whatever the case may be, if you're seeking specific Pokémon, whether through wild encounters or through hatching eggs, get put there and explore new places.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    The content is determined at the moment the egg is created, which is randomly done as you spin the pokestop.

Anyone who says otherwise has insufficient evidence.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
  • Inconclusive. Some people think so due to their experiences. Some people can't tell.

I'm in the boat that locations do dictate what you get. Whatever the case may be, if you're seeking specific Pokémon, whether through wild encounters or through hatching eggs, get put there and explore new places.

Kind of hard to do so when you live so far away from big cities

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't think the location matters. I also live in a rural area. Most pokemon that I get from eggs are rarely or never seen in the wild around me.

I don't think you can get pokemon that are region locked though. So if you live in American, you can't get Mr. Mime, Farfetche'd and Kangaskahn.

As for other pokemon, I can tell you that I got my Snorlax in a town even smaller than where I live.

Years

• The more I think about this, the more I realize that both sides are equally plausible and equally impossible to prove. Here is why:

First, none of us gets very many eggs. There is no way to mark an egg (and the eggs don't come marked) with their hatching location so you can't trace an egg.

Also receiving an egg is a relatively rare event (Maybe once in ten to twenty Pokestops -- Once to twice a week if you are actively hatching eggs). That means most of us (If you only visit one or two Pokestops in a given location and then one or two in another location, this does not apply to you.) don't have enough eggs from a few locations to do any comparisons.

Now here is why eggs might vary by location. The wild Pokemon caught near various stops vary. The pillar near my apartment has Psyducks and Magickarp, though not in huge quantities. There are more Nidoran by the local hospital and there are Slowpokes and Psyducks in the town park with the pool. The difference is noticeable though there are plenty of common Pokemon too. If wild Pokes vary by habitat/stop, why shouldn't the eggs vary?

Again unless we have a way of tracking eggs and pooling data, we have no way of knowing how much (It's not 100% or we would not be debating this) location effects eggs. If any one wants to figure out a way to track eggs, I'm up for figuring this out since I'm going to hatch eggs anyway.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years

• The more I think about this, the more I realize that both sides are equally plausible and equally impossible to prove. Here is why:

First, none of us gets very many eggs. There is no way to mark an egg (and the eggs don't come marked) with their hatching location so you can't trace an egg.

Also receiving an egg is a relatively rare event (Maybe once in ten to twenty Pokestops -- Once to twice a week if you are actively hatching eggs). That means most of us (If you only visit one or two Pokestops in a given location and then one or two in another location, this does not apply to you.) don't have enough eggs from a few locations to do any comparisons.

Now here is why eggs might vary by location. The wild Pokemon caught near various stops vary. The pillar near my apartment has Psyducks and Magickarp, though not in huge quantities. There are more Nidoran by the local hospital and there are Slowpokes and Psyducks in the town park with the pool. The difference is noticeable though there are plenty of common Pokemon too. If wild Pokes vary by habitat/stop, why shouldn't the eggs vary?

Again unless we have a way of tracking eggs and pooling data, we have no way of knowing how much (It's not 100% or we would not be debating this) location effects eggs. If any one wants to figure out a way to track eggs, I'm up for figuring this out since I'm going to hatch eggs anyway.

You can see the location in which the egg was obtained by looking at the Pokemon location when it hatches....

Years

• Illusionss, the location info on Poke Eggs is not nearly fine grained nor accurate enough, for a good trace. The pillar by my apartment is listed as Druid Hills, GA. No such city exists. Even if the eggs had an accurate location it would only be Decatur, GA. Eggs from the hospital, downtown Decatur (Over half a dozen Poke Stops) and the area by Your DeKalb Farmer's Market would all be Decatur, GA. There is no way to keep track eggs from specific stops from the info Pokemon Go gives you.

If I knew the way Pokemon Go added eggs I could always write down the Poke Stop and if we had a group spread sheet we could collect enough data (I am guessing around a hundred eggs ) to solve this argument. I'm up for this since stardust, candy, and EP are about to get devalued.

A database would be even better than a spread sheet for crunching and sorting the kind of data we might collect because depending on how we roam, we'll undoubtedly collect eggs from familiar and unfamiliar stops, in good or bad weather etc...

Illusionss

Banned
    Years

• Illusionss, the location info on Poke Eggs is not nearly fine grained nor accurate enough, for a good trace. The pillar by my apartment is listed as Druid Hills, GA. No such city exists. Even if the eggs had an accurate location it would only be Decatur, GA. Eggs from the hospital, downtown Decatur (Over half a dozen Poke Stops) and the area by Your DeKalb Farmer's Market would all be Decatur, GA. There is no way to keep track eggs from specific stops from the info Pokemon Go gives you.

If I knew the way Pokemon Go added eggs I could always write down the Poke Stop and if we had a group spread sheet we could collect enough data (I am guessing around a hundred eggs ) to solve this argument. I'm up for this since stardust, candy, and EP are about to get devalued.

A database would be even better than a spread sheet for crunching and sorting the kind of data we might collect because depending on how we roam, we'll undoubtedly collect eggs from familiar and unfamiliar stops, in good or bad weather etc...

Location on egg hatched Pokemon is always 100% accurate for me and everyone that I know who have checked, so....

Years

• Illusions I wish I could say the same, but as I wrote above Druid HIlls, GA (which is supposedly right across the street from my apartment building) is a nonexistent city. And, you really need neighborhood/ecological data on each egg captured to do good comparisons. I'm still up for big data. It will be good until the next update which changes the ecology (Read the post about no more Pidgeys and Rattatas from eggs).

Illusionss

Banned
    Years

• Illusions I wish I could say the same, but as I wrote above Druid HIlls, GA (which is supposedly right across the street from my apartment building) is a nonexistent city. And, you really need neighborhood/ecological data on each egg captured to do good comparisons. I'm still up for big data. It will be good until the next update which changes the ecology (Read the post about no more Pidgeys and Rattatas from eggs).

No pidgeys, no party

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    If this ridiculous hypothesis were true, it would encourage odd behavior.

- Not spinning pokestops, meaning not getting the XP and items, because you have less than 9 eggs and want one from a specific location
    - Camping at pokestops just to spin them every 5 minutes for a specific egg spawn
    - Visiting certain areas just to spin pokestops

So if it would be a true and proven fact, it would be quite messed up and unfun. You could ignore it and simply spin pokestops and feel bad about not getting the benefit of better pokemon from eggs, or you could take it seriously and feel bad about not getting XP and items from pokestops because you cannot spin them because you want to protect the open egg slot. It feels bad either way.

So if it were true, it would mean that they go out of their way and waste precious server resources to suck the fun out of the game and spit it in our eye.

Conclusion: Its just another nonsense hypothesis based on the fact that the majority of people, even intelligent ones, cannot deal with randomly generated numbers and feel the need to make shit up just to explain away the randomness.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
  • If this ridiculous hypothesis were true, it would encourage odd behavior.

- Not spinning pokestops, meaning not getting the XP and items, because you have less than 9 eggs and want one from a specific location
    - Camping at pokestops just to spin them every 5 minutes for a specific egg spawn
    - Visiting certain areas just to spin pokestops

So if it would be a true and proven fact, it would be quite messed up and unfun. You could ignore it and simply spin pokestops and feel bad about not getting the benefit of better pokemon from eggs, or you could take it seriously and feel bad about not getting XP and items from pokestops because you cannot spin them because you want to protect the open egg slot. It feels bad either way.

So if it were true, it would mean that they go out of their way and waste precious server resources to suck the fun out of the game and spit it in our eye.

Conclusion: Its just another nonsense hypothesis based on the fact that the majority of people, even intelligent ones, cannot deal with randomly generated numbers and feel the need to make **** up just to explain away the randomness.

Firsty, no one is making up anything, if you read the OP then you'd see that I was asking a question and not telling everyone my opinion. How can you just assume that unbalanced egg hatches is just a bs theory when there is no concrete evidence either way? Yes it could have been a coincidence, but it also could be true. If you hatched over 50 10km eggs from a rural area and got nothing but sh!t, but then hatched just one 10km egg from a big city and got a Lapras, wouldn't you assume something? It's obviously way more likely that the big cities will spawn way more of the Snorlax's, Lapras', Aerodactyl's than a rural area, so why is it so asinine suggesting there is also a better chance of getting better Pokemon in eggs as well?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm 90% sure that the what will come out of your egg is completely random at the point the egg is created. But seeing that you have a streak of getting the same pokémon out of your eggs is just luck. You got to look at it this way, at least your getting a surplus of candy to power up your Pinsir.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
  • I'm 90% sure that the what will come out of your egg is completely random at the point the egg is created. But seeing that you have a streak of getting the same pokémon out of your eggs is just luck. You got to look at it this way, at least your getting a surplus of candy to power up your Pinsir.

Yeah, I can't wait to wreck some gyms with a 1500 cp Pinsir

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Firsty, no one is making up anything, if you read the OP then you'd see that I was asking a question and not telling everyone my opinion. How can you just assume that unbalanced egg hatches is just a bs theory when there is no concrete evidence either way? Yes it could have been a coincidence, but it also could be true. If you hatched over 50 10km eggs from a rural area and got nothing but sh!t, but then hatched just one 10km egg from a big city and got a Lapras, wouldn't you assume something? It's obviously way more likely that the big cities will spawn way more of the Snorlax's, Lapras', Aerodactyl's than a rural area, so why is it so asinine suggesting there is also a better chance of getting better Pokemon in eggs as well?

Are you even aware that you are implying that niantic added a secret "feature" with the sole purpose of screwing over people in rural areas, punishing them even more while they are already being punished with far less gyms and pokestops?

Do you understand how "asinine" (your word) the implications of what you are saying are? You say that there could be a secret feature, and if it is revealed, all players who live in rural areas will be REALLY angry and annoyed, and many will stop playing out of frustration and some players will demand their money back because niantic screwed them by giving them inferior incubators.

Now that i think about it, yes, the word asinine really sums it up.

If the weird hypothesis is true and gets confirmed, it could even destroy niantics business model because some players will be so outraged that they will petition google and apple to remove pokemon go and its updates from the google play store and the apple store. This would be a screwup so big that it would go down in niantics history as niantics version of samsungs exploding galaxy note 7 phones. Heck, the pokemon company could sue niantic based on the damage caused to the brand as a whole by niantic giving players the message that they despise and actively discriminate against a section of their player base, namely all players living in rural areas. For the same reasons, the owners and shareholders of niantic could first fire and then sue the CEO and all employees involved, because a case can be made that they actively and intentionally tried to undermine the company from the inside.

Those are the implications of the hypothesis, and that is why it is a dumb hypothesis. There is one key difference between the samsung desaster and the niantic disaster that you are implying: Samsung accidentally shot itself in the knee, but you are implying that niantic is doing it INTENTIONALLY.

Just to again point out the flaw in the hypothesis i will come up with my own hypothesis.

Starting next week, the disneyland and disneyworld amusement parks will charge asian people with an additional 5 dollars and dark-skinned people with an additional 10 dollars. Or force visitors who are deemed unattractive to wear disney-themed masks to hide their ugly faces if they wish to visit the park.

Distriminating against and/or showing disdain towards some of your own paying customers is a really big no-no, in just about every industry, but especially in the entertainment industry of which the gaming industry is a part.

So of all the unlikely hypothesis you can find on the internet about pokemon go, this one gets the award. I award it the gold-plated tinfoil hat first class for being so outlandish, it may even be illegal for niantic to implement such a thing. As in, against the law, at least in the USA but in quite a few other jurisdictions as well.

Years

• I don't think nonrandom egg spawns are anything earth shattering or discriminatory or bad consumer policy. First, nonrandom does not mean ONLY certain creatures will spawn from eggs at location X. What it means is that instead of the probabilities of all creatures for that size egg being equal, the probabilities of certain creatures is just a bit higher with all the rest being lower.

Let's say that Slowpokes are 5% of the population that hatches from 5km eggs. If you are lucky enough to get an egg from a stop where wild Slowpokes spawn the likelihood of a Slowpoke is 10%, 12%, 15% etc..

This doesn't mean you are going to spend your life camping for one.

And the playing field for Pokemon is not even and never was. My friend's children can't take a bus into town to hunt Pokes where the stops are denser. That effects their ability to play. We are all effected by geography, our phone's data plans, and real life.

The distribution of wild Pokemon is not entirely random. Downtown Decatur has tons of Spearrows a stop near a swimming pool generates Slowpokes. The pillar across the road from my apartment tends to spawn Psyducks. That does not mean they do it all the time. They just do it more often.

And businesses can ask all sorts of things of customers (though public accommodations can't discriminate) Disneyland could ask that customers NOT wear shirts with political slogans. Restaurants can ask that customers wear jackets and ties.

As far as I know Pokemon Go is a free app. Whether we are Niantic's customers is an open question. And I'll say it once again. Does anyone want to track their eggs to see if there are patterns in the probability of what hatches?

Back