• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does the location of the Pokestop determine what you get in eggs?

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
    Are you even aware that you are implying that niantic added a secret "feature" with the sole purpose of screwing over people in rural areas, punishing them even more while they are already being punished with far less gyms and pokestops?

Do you understand how "asinine" (your word) the implications of what you are saying are? You say that there could be a secret feature, and if it is revealed, all players who live in rural areas will be REALLY angry and annoyed, and many will stop playing out of frustration and some players will demand their money back because niantic screwed them by giving them inferior incubators.

Now that i think about it, yes, the word asinine really sums it up.

If the weird hypothesis is true and gets confirmed, it could even destroy niantics business model because some players will be so outraged that they will petition google and apple to remove pokemon go and its updates from the google play store and the apple store. This would be a screwup so big that it would go down in niantics history as niantics version of samsungs exploding galaxy note 7 phones. Heck, the pokemon company could sue niantic based on the damage caused to the brand as a whole by niantic giving players the message that they despise and actively discriminate against a section of their player base, namely all players living in rural areas. For the same reasons, the owners and shareholders of niantic could first fire and then sue the CEO and all employees involved, because a case can be made that they actively and intentionally tried to undermine the company from the inside.

Those are the implications of the hypothesis, and that is why it is a dumb hypothesis. There is one key difference between the samsung desaster and the niantic disaster that you are implying: Samsung accidentally shot itself in the knee, but you are implying that niantic is doing it INTENTIONALLY.

Just to again point out the flaw in the hypothesis i will come up with my own hypothesis.

Starting next week, the disneyland and disneyworld amusement parks will charge asian people with an additional 5 dollars and dark-skinned people with an additional 10 dollars. Or force visitors who are deemed unattractive to wear disney-themed masks to hide their ugly faces if they wish to visit the park.

Distriminating against and/or showing disdain towards some of your own paying customers is a really big no-no, in just about every industry, but especially in the entertainment industry of which the gaming industry is a part.

So of all the unlikely hypothesis you can find on the internet about pokemon go, this one gets the award. I award it the gold-plated tinfoil hat first class for being so outlandish, it may even be illegal for niantic to implement such a thing. As in, against the law, at least in the USA but in quite a few other jurisdictions as well.

No need to write me a book, it's just a game, m8. Niantic wouldn't be screwing anyone over if they had more chance of getting better egg Pokemon from rural areas, by your logic Niantic are already "screwing" everyone over with the "secret features" of having more Pokestops, Gyms and overall much better Pokemon spawns than rural areas. This isn't me complaining, it makes sense that you won't get as much if you live in the middle of nowhere as a pose to living in New York for example. And I am well aware what the word asinine means, but thanks for your concern.

Again, by your Einstein-like logic, Nintendo/The Pokemon company could sue Niantic for having more Pokestops in rural areas. I agree, that is definitely discrimination. {XD}

Now aside from the fact the only big word you seem to know is hypothesis, I'm not sure why you seem to think that the chance of better eggs from rural areas working as the same concept as more Pokestops, better Pokemon spawns ect is such a silly suggestion. I love how you're comparing rural areas getting more on Pokemon go than no rural areas to racism and Samsung phones setting on fire, you've got a great imagination. :)

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I'm sorry but imma say no. There have been several cases where I have eggs that hatched into mons that I'm pretty sure don't belong to the place I got the egg from. Like I hatched a 10km egg with Hitmonlee, and I know for sure it doesn't appear in the place I got that egg from.

Years

OK, everyone on this board is going to hate me. That's OK. First, we need to define our terms. What is rural, suburban, urban, and are these terms even meaningful. There are Poke deserts in parts of DeKalb County that are fairly built up due to their unsavory businesses (car title pawns and bail bonds) and formerly industrial character (East Laredo Drive). There are suburban Poke deserts in residential developments, and there are probably Poke stop dense rural areas such as a county seat's downtown. Sprawl probably figures in to all of this.

Second, to figure out anything about eggs, we need statistics and that means averages correlations etc... Correlations may be strong (close to 1), weak (less than about .3) or negative (below 0). To generate these you need a number of eggs large enough that outliers blend in. Usually this is twenty-five. A hundred or more is better. Since for most of us, receiving an egg is a rare event, and receiving a 10km egg is vanishingly rare, we need to get detailed statistics about where we receive eggs, and then write them down. When we hatch out our eggs, often days to weeks later (I'm down to my infinite incubator) then we add what we got. If Niantic doesn't change the rules with an update, we can then figure out what if any correlations we have.

This is mostly bean counting and it takes patience. The content analysis may be messy, but right now we are working with scattered, anectdotal information. We need real data. This data no matter how it turns out will belong to us not Niantic. That makes this project all the more worth doing.

Here is the PokeEggTracker spreadsheet. Send me a private message if you want editing access so you can add your eggs. It's probably much better to add them as you receive them and edit your entries as you hatch them out. We'll probably also get to see eachother's roaming styles, but that is OK too.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years

OK, everyone on this board is going to hate me. That's OK. First, we need to define our terms. What is rural, suburban, urban, and are these terms even meaningful. There are Poke deserts in parts of DeKalb County that are fairly built up due to their unsavory businesses (car title pawns and bail bonds) and formerly industrial character (East Laredo Drive). There are suburban Poke deserts in residential developments, and there are probably Poke stop dense rural areas such as a county seat's downtown. Sprawl probably figures in to all of this.

Second, to figure out anything about eggs, we need statistics and that means averages correlations etc... Correlations may be strong (close to 1), weak (less than about .3) or negative (below 0). To generate these you need a number of eggs large enough that outliers blend in. Usually this is twenty-five. A hundred or more is better. Since for most of us, receiving an egg is a rare event, and receiving a 10km egg is vanishingly rare, we need to get detailed statistics about where we receive eggs, and then write them down. When we hatch out our eggs, often days to weeks later (I'm down to my infinite incubator) then we add what we got. If Niantic doesn't change the rules with an update, we can then figure out what if any correlations we have.

This is mostly bean counting and it takes patience. The content analysis may be messy, but right now we are working with scattered, anectdotal information. We need real data. This data no matter how it turns out will belong to us not Niantic. That makes this project all the more worth doing.

Here is the PokeEggTracker spreadsheet. Send me a private message if you want editing access so you can add your eggs. It's probably much better to add them as you receive them and edit your entries as you hatch them out. We'll probably also get to see eachother's roaming styles, but that is OK too.

Good luck

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Guys, seriously.

I put so much effort into debunking the nonsensical hypothesis that pokestops in rural areas give crap eggs while pokestops in cities give better eggs.

And what do you do? You say it does not apply because now you claim the opposite. Crap eggs in cities, awesome eggs in rural areas.

Years
    Neltharion83, I just said we need to have an idea of the kind of places we mean when we say rural. The town square in Clinton, New York is in a rural part of Oneida County, but I would guess it has at least three Pokestops within six blocks, a post office, an art gallery that used to be a church, at least one church, and one iconic store.

Hartsdale, New York where I grew up by contrast is an inner ring suburb (suburb connected to a big city by mass transit), but it was also full of tract housing. It's probably close to a mile on foot from the neighborhood I grew up in to the nearest PokeStop even though Westchester County is far more urban than Oneida County (where Clinton is).

Many urban PokeStops in the Atlanta metro area are in green and leafy spaces such as parks. I was just asking for more precision with the terminology. My pet theory about eggs is that the kind of territory where you find them influences what hatches out. If you receive an egg from a place that spawns aquatic wild Pokes, chances are better that you will hatch out an aquatic Poke. If you receive an egg from a Pokestop near a power plant or transformer, you can guess what kind of Pokes you have an increased chance of hatching out. Again, I have no proof, BUT absence of proof is NOT proof of absence.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Sorry if this thread is kinda old, but I can prove it WRONG.

Step 1: I got an egg from an area that's literally Voltorb-free.
    Step 2: I incubated said egg as soon as soon as my current egg at the time hatched.
    Step 3: Guess what that egg hatched into? Voltorb. And the place I got the egg in has ZERO Voltorbs. Do the math.

So yeah.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2017
    Wasn't it said that you can't get regionals from eggs unless you're in that region at the time? I think that kinda leads me to believing this is the case

Back