• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Doesnt feel like home to me

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    Well, it was just based off of NY a little. I think they didn't want to resemble too much, though. I can see some parts that look like NY, but not too much.

Years
    As a matter of fact, I think this is why I like Pokemon. They take an area, and Pokemon-fy it, so much so that you're surprised it was even based off of that. That's pure genius.

That's the magic of Pokemon, turning a pretty bad place like NYC into a very enjoyable game.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I feel like it's a good region for Pokemon based on on New York... I wasnt expecting a copy and paste.

Years
    I'm kind of glad it (apparently) doesn't feel like New York for you. I'd rather the games had a wider and more inclusive appeal. What I mean is that if it was too much like New York it wouldn't be very Pokemon-esque. What I mean by Pokemon-esque is a blend of ideas and inspiration from many different places rather than trying to copy one place in particular. It's not supposed to be the real world after all.

Nameless.

I gotta be honest, I never felt that Unova was truly inspired by New York City. I mean, it has it's bits and pieces, but even the region itself does not have any resemblance to NYC. If you compare the rest of the regions to their real-world counterparts, they look extremely identical. Compare Unova to NYC, and they look little to nothing alike. D: The inspirations are pretty nice though, like Liberty Island. The tiny bit of history on NYC was awesome too though -- the one with the reference to World War II.

Wikipedia said:
    During World War II, the statue remained open to visitors, although it was not illuminated at night due to wartime blackouts. It was lit briefly on December 31, 1943, and on D-Day, June 6, 1944, when its lights flashed "dot-dot-dot-dash," the Morse code for V for victory.

The Morse code for V on the Statue of Liberty was most likely the inspiration for Victini, the Victory Pokemon, on Liberty Island.
    That's a pretty nifty little thing they included.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I gotta be honest, I never felt that Unova was truly inspired by New York City. I mean, it has it's bits and pieces, but even the region itself does not have any resemblance to NYC. If you compare the rest of the regions to their real-world counterparts, they look extremely identical. Compare Unova to NYC, and they look little to nothing alike. D: The inspirations are pretty nice though, like Liberty Island. The tiny bit of history on NYC was awesome too though -- the one with the reference to World War II.

The Morse code for V on the Statue of Liberty was most likely the inspiration for Victini, the Victory Pokemon, on Liberty Island.
    That's a pretty nifty little thing they included.

Thats pretty much waht i was trying to say in my opening post

Back