• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Don't Evolve

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Not really, they have lower base stats so won't be as strong will they? Its all down to EV training

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2008
    Why would your Pokemon get stronger because you didn't evolve them? The only way I can think of that that statement would make sense is in reference to the EXP points needed to get pokemon to lvl 100. Basic pokemon get to lvl 100 faster than, say, a stage 2 pokemon.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Actually you're slightly wrong. As an example, bulbasaur needs 1,059,860 EXP to hit 100, which is the exact same as venasaur. If i remember correctly they gain EXP at a higher rate (Meh, does it really matter lol)

Benjamin

I caught a Granbull
    Years
    Thanks for the help.
    Guess I will be letting them evolve.
    I was under the impression their stat increments increase if not evolved.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Some pokemon gain special moves if they don't evolve. Mudkip gets Hydropump and Treecko gets Mega Drain (its not strong ... but... XD).

But stat-wise, they will be the same. Their stats will increase when they evolve.

Vexar

Trainer
    Years
    Right, there are some pokes who get different moves. It's best to see exactly what the pokes learn, you can google that. I have a favorite site of my own, but will not give that away due to rules.

However, it doesn't hurt your pokes to let them evolve.. That was just a myth that the show created.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2008
    yeah it says in the strategy guide that some pokemons first stages learn moves faster than their second and finall form

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2008
    They do learn moves faster but have different stats according to there base stats. But don't worry, they adjust stats once you evolve them so dont worry about evolving the too late or early. Some pokemon learn different moves in lower forms then there evolved forms so be aware of that.

Budgie

Life is music, play it louder!
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2008
    Seribii.net [may not be correct URL] (if thats spelt right) has a good table about it, how quickly they learn the moves etc.

From what I know they learn the powerful moves quicker.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2008
    Pikachu is the only pokemon i dont let evolve, using it with a light ball makes it stronger than a riachu and pikachu learns all the moves so you need to level it up quite far if you want all the moves without using the tutor

Years
    Seribii.net [may not be correct URL] (if thats spelt right) has a good table about it, how quickly they learn the moves etc.

From what I know they learn the powerful moves quicker.

Just to let you know, which most others do, its https://www.serebii.net, or just Serebii.

And stopping Pokémon evolving had certain advantages. EXP Points are not one of them, they grow just as quickly, only the Base Stats are increased.

Basically, some lower form Pokémon learn moves at a lower level than their evolved forms, or moves that the later stages will never learn, such as the Hoenn starters (Treecko = Giga Drain, Torchic = Flamethrower, Mudkip = Hydro Pump). However, this stops the evolved forms learning other moves, such as with Torchic, if you let it learn Flamethrower, Blaziken will never learn Blaze Kick (without a Heart Scale, but thats another matter). Its all about working out when to evolve them to get their best moves.

Pokémon that evolve via Elemental Stone generally have 'Maturity Levels'. This means the last level that it will learn any move, as the evolved form normally learns no additional moves other than 4 original moves. Normally, its best to wait until this level to evolve, to get the best moves, and then increase the stats via evolution.

Some, however, of these, are different. Such as Exeggutor, who will never learn Stomp, unless you evolve him early, which stops Exeggcute learning other, and moreso better moves. And yet again, more awkward learners, such as the Kanto Eeveelutions, who will learn many move after Elemantal Stone evolution, just mainly learning moves associated to their types. Eevee will learn Normal type move mainly, whilst Vaporeon will learn Hydro Pump, Jolteon will learn Thunder and Flareon will learn Flamethrower (I think).

Basicaly, what Im trying to say is that evolving all Pokémon will happen, no point in having a level 100 Magikarp, ey? Just when it happens is entirely down to you. Use guides, or sites for advice, work out what moves you will want your Pokémon to learn through level-up, then evolve it accordingly. Hope it helps.

lostprophetsown

chatot,lucario and lance lover
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2013
    Just to let you know, which most others do, its https://www.serebii.net, or just Serebii.

And stopping Pokémon evolving had certain advantages. EXP Points are not one of them, they grow just as quickly, only the Base Stats are increased.

Basically, some lower form Pokémon learn moves at a lower level than their evolved forms, or moves that the later stages will never learn, such as the Hoenn starters (Treecko = Giga Drain, Torchic = Flamethrower, Mudkip = Hydro Pump). However, this stops the evolved forms learning other moves, such as with Torchic, if you let it learn Flamethrower, Blaziken will never learn Blaze Kick (without a Heart Scale, but thats another matter). Its all about working out when to evolve them to get their best moves.

Pokémon that evolve via Elemental Stone generally have 'Maturity Levels'. This means the last level that it will learn any move, as the evolved form normally learns no additional moves other than 4 original moves. Normally, its best to wait until this level to evolve, to get the best moves, and then increase the stats via evolution.

Some, however, of these, are different. Such as Exeggutor, who will never learn Stomp, unless you evolve him early, which stops Exeggcute learning other, and moreso better moves. And yet again, more awkward learners, such as the Kanto Eeveelutions, who will learn many move after Elemantal Stone evolution, just mainly learning moves associated to their types. Eevee will learn Normal type move mainly, whilst Vaporeon will learn Hydro Pump, Jolteon will learn Thunder and Flareon will learn Flamethrower (I think).

Basicaly, what Im trying to say is that evolving all Pokémon will happen, no point in having a level 100 Magikarp, ey? Just when it happens is entirely down to you. Use guides, or sites for advice, work out what moves you will want your Pokémon to learn through level-up, then evolve it accordingly. Hope it helps.

exactly what i think just evolve them when they have learnt the moves you want them to because they learn moves at lower levels if they are at there lowst stage

Back