• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't forget to lock your computer!

PinkCatDragon

The 17 year old programer. Now byte off
Years
  • And the best part is that nobody knows the secret.

Spoiler:
    that wont work. you cant swap workspaces as i have closed xorg.also closeing xorg closes the wm so keybord commands wont work there are no graphics except for a terminal. think of the dos day kinda thing no graphics just commands the correct way to reopen is to
    Spoiler:

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • that wont work. you cant swap workspaces as i have closed xorg.also closeing xorg closes the wm so keybord commands wont work there are no graphics except for a terminal. think of the dos day kinda thing no graphics just commands the correct way to reopen is to
    Spoiler:

Well, it depends on your system. For me it's `sudo systemctl start gdm` since I use systemd.

But yeah, there are plenty of ways: workspace swap (the one I posted earlier), Ctrl-Alt-F(*), Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, Super-L, Alt-Left/Right in a pure tty (I suppose this is what you mean by "dos day kind of thing"), etc.

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
  • I usually keep my devices locked. I have a lot of creative work, and other things that I don't want anyone messing with on them. So, yeah, when I'm not using it it's probably locked up tight.

Years
  • I lock my home computer when not in use (except over night when I shut it down entirely) out of habit. I don't have anything to hide, so to speak, but I do have a fair amount of sensitive data that I'd just as soon not leave out in the open, even when I am at home around people who wouldn't know what to do with it if they found it. Portable devices are PIN locked though I use TouchID on my iPhone out of convenience (and the marginally increased security of not having to type my PIN in public settings).

The habit of locking at home actually started because my father was known to barge into my room and use my computer without permission, logging me out and often causing me to lose work as a result. We were on a domain network at the time so he wasn't using my account but it was still a major headache. It didn't take long to learn how to use the local security policy editor and prevent login from specified accounts and then start locking the computer when stepping away.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I don't always take my laptop out of home , but when I take it out I keep it locked and password protected, not because I have some private files xD. But I don't like sharing my laptop games cause most of them are Pokemon games

Years
  • I always lock when leaving for any reason, no matter how brief. Personal tradition (for at least a decade or so) has been to set XScreenSaver's timeout to 1 minute.

Years
  • Even though I live on my own now, I still have my laptop set to automatically lock any time I shut the lid on it. Don't know why I leave it that way, but I can't be bothered to change it, and it only takes an extra 5 seconds to type in my password anyway.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I only take my laptop to school when I know I'm going to be in the library for some hours. I have a lock on it that's set to lock whenever I close my lid or the screen turns off in a minute or so but I never ever leave my laptop alone, unless it's a 2 second walk to the printer right by me) because I trust no one. As for at home, it's still locked even though my parents or brother never use it.
    My phone on the other hand... I do not lock it since it is always on me or right in front of me. I only lock it if I'm in a lab class and need to put it away in my bag though or if I'm going out of town and it's in my bag. Something like that. Lock screen patterns/codes are so bothersome to me.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm too used to reflexively locking the computer using Windows key + L even when I don't really need to. (Most of the time, when I lock a computer, I'm going to use it again very soon and I feel that I shouldn't put it to sleep.)

I set my phone to automatically lock after 15 minutes of screen off, not immediately. More often than not, I'll end up using the phone very soon after, so having it lock off immediately can cause a lot of problems by itself.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • My parents hated the whole "locking your computer" thing in modern OSs but they have grown to get used to it. I have always locked my computer, moreso any computer that has my account in it. My laptop is always secured with my password, and everytime I close the lid or leave it idle for 5 min or more, it auto-locks.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • No one uses my laptop but me... and my sister, but I'm cool with that. So no, I don't lock my laptop.

At college, I'm normally the one to use my laptop unless someone asks to borrow it for a short while (like using the internet to search for materials or sending an e-mail). My laptop has never left me for more than 10 minutes so I honestly don't mind.

Plus, all my data has been backed up so I'm not too worried.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • Well for my laptop it usually locks after 5-10 minutes of no use. (idk which it is) Mostly because I have no idea how to stop that. xD I don't really care enough either way since there's nothing worth stealing.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I lock my laptop and phone if I plan to be away from it. I don't like anyone snooping on my business ever. I have always been private and it continues to this day. Haha. My new desktop auto-locks, but I shut it off if I plan to be away from it for longer than 20 minutes.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I've used a password on most laptops that I've used a lot in the past. There were periods when I didn't use a password but I became more...what would be the right thing to say...'security conscious', perhaps? Not sure. tl;dr I just don't want anyone deleting stuff or changing settings unnecessarily. Experience has taught me that any computers I've left in the care of other family members will either come back in literal pieces or riddled with viruses.

So nuts to anyone else snooping at my stuff without permission. I store some crucial project data on this computer so passwords all the way.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • When I'm out like at uni or somewhere where I can just leave my laptop that's not at home and come back, I'll usually lock it. Even at my friends' places, they always love to pick into other peoples' facebook and leave beautiful statuses and change your profile pic for lolz.

At home, I just leave as is. It's my own laptop and my parents won't touch it.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • As a state of habit, when I leave the house but don't want to turn off my computer I will lock it. Just like I lock the front door. I have no problem with what happens when I'm indoors with it, but I keep my eye when someone else is using it. An £800 set-up isn't something I'm going to be completely carefree about XD

Back