• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't Let the Catz say Zero! [DLTMS0 v4.0]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

Unless the episodes were dirt cheap I'd much rather buy physical copies of anime. Although if you could pay for anime as it airs and that money went directly to the people making the shows it would be different.

Streaming is just a no though and paying for streaming is even worse. People should have refused to use services like Netflix and Crunchyroll on principle. Paying for something you can get in better quality for free. Of course if these services can match the quality of hd downloads in the future I could be swayed. Yeah, I know some people would rather not torrent, if I were one of those I would be using one of those lovefilm type services where they send you out films and series for a monthly fee.

Doubt I would ever use an anime streaming service though, even if the quality was true hd. I'm not some super anime hipster but I doubt a lot of the older or more obscure series I like would ever get onto one. Took a look at the Crunchyroll library and it really isn't good. This actually reminds me, I can't remember what the service is called but I think I saw Oreimo on the PS3 Store the other day, was surprised.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Maybe it's because I use netflix but I can't say I quite agree with some of the things you said, Lapras. Torrenting and such takes up a lot of space and it's just easier for me to just watch things on netflix. Especially if it's a spur of a moment think like a movie and so forth. Don't have to go out and rent a movie or anything. Just sit down, turn on the wii, and then pick from whatever selection they have.

It's also gotten me into a few shows that I would never have been able to really catch on the TV or be able to buy from the store. And while I can stream it online many of these things I watch with my sister and sitting down in front of my computer is a pain when we can both sit on a couch and watch it instead. Although it costs $8 a month it's quicker and easier. Also my mom uses netflix from time to time so it compliments that as well.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

We are living in 2013, an external HD is not going to set you back a lot. Considering you can delete stuff after you watch space shouldn't really be an issue. You mentioned picking things up on the spur of the moment, I guess if you have terrible download speed that is a pretty big advantage for streaming, although if your connection is horrible I'd imagine waiting for buffering would be annoying.

I used the Netflix trial month on the PS3 and I will admit it wasn't awful quality wise. I also liked the app, was pretty neat. Selection of shows wasn't so good though and a lot of the stuff I do like wasn't up to date. I won't even get started on the awful anime selection it was that bad.

Best thing about Netflix was the kiddy section. Watching Madeline was pretty baller.

Edit - It seems the anime selection on US Netflix is less awful than over here, acceptable for a normalfag service I guess.

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

We've got Netflix, though it's almost exclusively used by my parents.
The quality isn't perfect, but I feel it's acceptable in most cases. Would be awesome if I spontaneously decided to watch a bunch of classic TV shows.
I can't find any anime there at all. I guess there are oceans on the internet after all.

There are some other services here that have more new stuff in their libraries, and that let you download instead of streaming, but I haven't seen what anime they've got.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Meh. Tbh It was stupid of me to even bring up torrenting and stuff because I don't do it for an entirely different reason than "space". But whatever it was one - now two - in the morning. When it come to 'spur of the moment' downloading speed isn't the issue. It's picking something that I want to watch quickly and easily. If I tried to look on the internet of what I want to watch I'll probably end up just being on PC instead because there are unlimited options. Plus trying to figure out where to download/stream it etc. It's just easier to go on Netflix when I feel like watching something with my sister and neither of us having no idea what exactly we want to watch until we see the selection that is available to us).

And the major thing - the thing you seemed to have completely missed - is that I watch a lot of things with my sister and so forth. Again, it's so much easier for both of us to be on the couch - or separate couches - and watch something rather than both trying to watch something on my laptop. We only do so when we want to watch something we know isn't on netflix. When it isn't as much of a 'spur of the moment' type of thing (or rather it is, but we still have an idea of what we want to watch. Not just 'let's watch a movie while we're eating' sort of deal). Pokey who totally ninja'd me while trying to figure out what the heck to write picked a good word for it: spontaneous.

Also I'm not bothered by the quality. Even made icons in the past from using netflix.

tl;dr: it's a family thing

Years

I prefer streaming because:

The internet on my summer apartment sucks ass (US Internet Cable monopoly and whatnot) that torrenting takes days.

And my school specifically bans torrenting. They (The tech crew) catch you really fast and gets the dean on your azz.

Also i don't care about the quality of the thing. All I usually care about is the storytelling and whatnot.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
18. Heya guys, just got back from the Gamescom. Now before you get all exited and stuff, let me tell you that it wasn't that spectacular.

The first three hours were fun, until we saw all the rooms and to get in long lines to play like ten minutes. -.- Almost all of the presentations were in German too, so that wasn't that much fun as well.

The city in which it was hosted though, Cologne, is a lot of fun, and I really like to back there sometimes.

Years
Best thing to come out of Gamescom was the Titanfall promo even though I'm not good at shootan gaems.

We are living in 2013, an external HD is not going to set you back a lot.

Edit - It seems the anime selection on US Netflix is less awful than over here, acceptable for a normalfag service I guess.

$70 for a 1 TB external is a lot when your bills cause you to basically be living paycheck to paycheck. Also $70 USD is enough for me to fill up my sedan twice with E85 fuel. And since my parents have Netflix themselves I'll just use theirs in the short term.

The anime selection is quite large, and less popular series are rotated out monthly. Some series even can be viewed with Japanese dubs, but that can be a pain to setup since I think it has to be done every time you watch an episode, so I just deal with the dubs and watch to observe how good or bad a particular dub was. Also, dubs are easier to watch because I can actually observe the animation going on instead of all these words at the bottom of the screen.

Dark Zapdos

Arose from Darkness
Years
3 I use hola unblocker for google crome so i can use US Netflix and get on hulu, just search it on google should be the first result, I think it works with firefox and others too.

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

Might as well give that a go.

Edit:
Daaamn, Hulu's anime library is surprisingly decent. All the entry level stuff and a quite large chunk more. Had a heart attack when I saw the latest season of Hidamari Sketch.
Shame the stream quality is terrible, and that there are actual commercial breaks. :I

Will check Netflix out when I've asked my old man what the login is.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

Just had a look at Hulu and yeah, that looks better than Crunchyroll for sure. Seeing Watamote listed as drama was kinda odd though.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

Please, we can't expect the poor lads to actually watch the show before labelling it.

Every person in the commentary field claims SAO to be the greatest anime ever created. It's cool that they enjoyed it more than I did, but I wonder what criteria they went by.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

Yup, it is a series that doesn't have a single aspect above average, be it concept, themes, cinematography, characters or music. Even putting it alongside other super popular series from recent years like Brotherhood, Gurren Lagann, Geass, Steindo;Gate and Madoka seems a bit wrong to me.

Perhaps they are just trying to get people to watch it.

You say you loved the first arc but didn't the 'romance' feel horrible and forced to you? I think the honeymoon episodes contained some of my hardest cringes ever. If that felt more genuine I would have taken the power of love allowing him to beat the boss a little easier.

Last edited:

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years

Ok, let me rephrase myself - I loved the first few episodes, before Asuna was forced down our throats and, like you said, started the most cringeworthy romance I had ever seen on any anime I've ever watched *sigh* It just seemed... too much, too fast, too soon. I felt SAO had potential at the beginning even though the content in the episodes felt a little scattered, but meh.

I don't even want to talk about the Alfheim arc. The weirdest love triangle which never ended up as a love triangle in the end, the strange scene with the scientists and Asuna...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back