• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't Let the Modz say Zero! [DLTMS0 v3.0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Pretty much what Anna said. xD; Eventually I managed to find where Lugia was.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years

Hey guys, I need help figuring out a scenario:

Say you were offered the chance to join an organization that could really boost your college appeal. Your parents think you deserve the position, too. However, you really don't think you're cut out for such a thing (the parents will argue that it's a self-esteem thing), but you hate the feeling of disappointment from parents looming over you (in my opinion, disappointment is worse than anger) and you know you'll probably get it if you choose not to join. What to do?

My gut feeling is to tell them, but I'm really afraid of the disappointment factor, especially from my dad, who still expects a lot out of me. I'm also past the date I was supposed to send the form plus a letter stating why I should join and how being a part would benefit the organization. The teacher in charge of this said I could turn it in ASAP, but I'm not sure how soon I can do so, and thus I may not get in anyways.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

If it boosts your college appeal, then I say why not. Though you might not think you cut out for it, I thought the same thing over plenty of things, and yet it still happened (a huge example would be high school band. Best times of my life).

It's your life though, so regardless of what your parents what you to do, it's your decision. Something I heard from my teacher several times is "Don't do something because you want to make your parents proud, do something because you want to make yourself proud" or an alternate one: "Don't do it because your parents or someone else told you to, do it because you want to."

... Yeah my advice sucks. ;^;

Years
    35. Would it require a lot of extra work in addition to school? And do you think your work ethic is cut out for this extra work? Comes down to if you think you've got the work ethic to do it. I'd be very tempted to go for it. Don't let opportunities like that pass you buy like I did, though, if you're still on the fence about it and you do think you have the work ethic to do it in addition to school.

EDIT: Things like that can also help you build your work ethic.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years

I guess to be more specific on everything: The organization is the National Honor Society. I truly do not believe I'm cut out for it, but my parents think I am and that I should join it. I know I shouldn't do what they want, and they've respected that for the most part (my dad a bit less, but that's besides the point). But I know if I choose not to join they'll feel disappointed, and the stress of knowing their disappointment will really hurt. But I really think there are better students at my school who deserve this position much more than I do.

As for whether it'll cut into school or not, I'm not sure.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Oooooh, thaaaaat.

Do it. If it was anything like the National Honor Society at my school, you could "join" it and never go to any of their meetings, or go to like... their first one. :]

I was lazy and didn't ever send in my application, so yeah that was dumb of me. XD; But I did know a lot of people who "joined" it, but they never went to any of the meetings.

Also if I got a recommendation to join it, I'm sure you're a shoe in, because as far as I know you've gotten better grades than what I got in High School. xD;

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
    I haven't any college experience but I can give you an advice: try it. Half of the time you think you don't like or aren't cut for something, you're wrong. XD
    Plus is always worth trying: I mean it's not something vital, so if in the end you won't like it, you can always "retire" from this organization (I think).

oh, god, I've been ninjaed by two people

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years

I'm still in high school, not college XD; But doing this could help me get into colleges easier.

I guess I could go for it, and if anything if I'm too late then at least I tried, right? /and I wonder if they'd give me a chance next year, too...

Years
    39. NHS shouldn't really cut into school. A lot of my friends were in it, and I think the requirements were just a certain GPA and attempting Honors/AP courses.

I may have been recommended for that, but I'm not sure. At least 70% of my graduating class had a GPA higher than 3.3, so I doubt it. I know I got recommended for a lot of other stuff and turned it down because I thought my work ethic was too awful to handle that on top of school. I kind of regret turning all those down now.

You know what? You should go for it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

As far as I know they send out those recommendations every year (depending on the school?), even during one's Senior Year. Least that's how it was in High School. :3 so yes this means I missed four chances to get into the NHS. /sooo laaaaaazy.

And yeah, I think NHS is really because you're taking honor classes and getting a good G.P.A. /had a 3.4 when she graduated; so close to a 3.5 ;___;

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years

I'm only in two Honors classes, though (Band being one), and I kind of struggle a bit in English.

The form is also a bit annoying. I can't remember the names of the places I went to do service, nor do I remember the names of my supervisors. How they expect me to remember such details Idek.

/currently trying to catch every Isshu Pokemon released on VDex so far; also raging over Butterfly Dance's English name

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

That's okay! I never got anything higher than a 'C' in my English Honors classes, and sometimes I didn't even know why I was taking Honors to begin with. XD;

Well... Least you've done service. /was.... yup. lazy.

Years
    46. Yeah. I got an invitation to go to some sort of Future Leaders USA (or whatever it was called) workshop series at Georgetown, Yale, Harvard, and George Washington, I think, after my sophomore year. There were a lot of activities and there was quite the chance to meet some very influential people in this country. Thing is, though, that those workshop type things cost a pretty penny to attend ($4000 per session, YIKES!). My family thought it was pretty cool to be invited to that, but we balked at that $4000 price tag, especially after they had just put down $2000 sending me to New York for choir that spring.

As for that form, maybe your parents can help you out with remembering that stuff? That stuff's kinda important to remember when filling out job applications or typing up a resume.

I avoided AP/Honors courses because they sounded like they had a lot of writing involved. And I was right. I probably should've taken more AP classes, though.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years

I could also ask the administration or something. A lot of the service I did was also school-related (we took a week off to do community service).

To top it off, I need to write a letter stating why I should be in it and how my being a part would benefit.

But right now, I'm trying to catch Sawk. All of them aren't letting me catch them because they know when I catch one I'm gonna name it Sock. /decided to name a Throh Thoreau which is why one let me catch it

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Well... I'm glad I wasn't the only one who decided that when they catch a Sawk they're going to call it Sock. xD;

Gazza

Heaven-Piercer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 25, 2016
    I'm not going to catch any more Gen.V pokemon while they are still automatically account bound.
    /Wish I'd known that before I went and caught about 20 new pokemon. orz

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back