• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't talk to him. I'm your boyfriend!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    My younger brother is in a relationship with a girl and he has problems when she talks to other guys. He doesn't want her talking to other guys while she's in a relationship with him, and I think that's ridiculous. What makes the matter even more ridiculous is that she feels the same way about him talking to other girls. Neither of them do it in a controlling assertive manner, but rather in a guilt inducing manner where they make a big deal about it after the fact and start saying things that sound illogical. That's something I think is ridiculous as well.

But that aside, I want to know. How do you guys feel about that kind of thing? Do you have problems with your SO talking to other guys/girls? Do you think that that's something you should be concerned about at all?

Personally, I find something like that to be incredibly selfish and controlling. Not to mention, if I was in a relationship with someone who did that to me, my initial thought of the root to their problem wouldn't be that I was talking to another girl. It would be that she doesn't trust me, and I'm someone who believes that trust is incredibly important in the world, and I often give it to people who I have no reason giving it to because I try to see the good in people as a whole. So that would hurt me and would actually be a reason for ending the relationship with them.

Years
  • I have no problems at all with my girlfriend talking to other guys. I think it is horribly controlling and horribly jealous for someone to get angry/pissy/forbid someone from talking to another sex.

I had one girlfriend who would get jealous of me talking to my other female friends. It is a massive annoyance of mine when someone is jealous of me talking to female friends.​

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • Well that depends a lot really, one who the guy was, and what he is like.

But when I was in a relationship with a girl, it was okay for me when she was talking to other guys, I mean it didn't really bother me to much at all, I didn't seem harm in it simply because it was innocent enough, but obviously there where some exceptions, but in overall it was chill.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • That's just extremely ridiculous. They might as well lock their SO in a closet, and isolate them from their friends.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2014
    My boyfriend and I don't have a problem talking to other boys/girls, although he tends not to , his choice not mine.I think he can tell I get a tad jealous ( that's only because I think they may be prettier and better for him). But yeah, a controlling relationship isn't good. My brothers girlfriend was the same, she would say jump and he would say how high. Thank gods he's away from that now and is a lot happier!

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
  • One of the biggest parts of a relationship is trust. If they can't trust eachother then it wont work out. Yea I understand if the opposite sex has a history of sleeping with a lot of people and what not but an average person, I don't see a problem with it. I find it extremely selfish to not allow a boy/girl to have friends or talk to the opposite sex because you're dating them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I've never had a GF in my life, but one thing that I do know is letting them go to talk to their other friends, regardless of their gender, is paramount to a healthy relationship. If one of them is too controlling, the other might just up & leave him/her for another.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I honestly don't get what is wrong with talking to another boy or another girl if you are in a relationship with someone. Let them talk with who they want. As Sour-D said, trust definitely plays an important role in a relationship. For example if I were to have a boyfriend who would get jealous of me talking to another guy then it's done. I don't have the time for such guys.

Years
  • I might find it a problem today if I found out my girlfriend was talking to other guys, but mainly only because of how far away she lives from me now.. but she got jealous at times when I was talking to a good friend to both of us, and she almost considered breaking up with me when that happened.

But when we lived close to each other, she didn't find it a problem for me to talk to other girls and I didn't find it to be a problem when she talked to other guys.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    if she's gonna cheat on him then she'll find a way. tell your brother to grow some balls. having a little self-confidence might make him seem like less of a loser

Years
  • I don't mind my husband talking to other women, and he doesn't mind me talking to other guys. Neither of us have ever had a problem with it (even when we were still in the long-distance part of our relationship), mostly because we've never had a reason not to trust the other.

It actually drives me nuts when I hear about that happening. I find it rather immature at best, and rather alarming at worst (the whole trying to control what the other person says/does - doesn't really sit well with me).

Years
  • Not at all. I don't mind if my girlfriend talks to other guys. I'm not in a relationship right now but in the past it has happened. She can talk to whoever she wants. I'm honestly not the jealous type.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    If someone doesn't want their significant other talking to the gender that they're attracted to, that shows lack of trust in a relationship. They need to get a bit more stable. XD;

I've been with girls and guys, and if they wanna talk to others or flirt with others, they could do just that. At the end of the day, they were with me, and wanted to stay that way, so I mean.. no harm. I might've been jealous if I thought they were really into someone else, but I never got such a vibe, so. xD (I talk past-tense because I ended my relationships due to personal issues, nothing to do with cheating jsyk)

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Extremely stupid, imo. People have said it already, but I'm going to echo it again: a relationship is based on trust. If you honestly can't handle the fact that your SO talks to whatever gender they're attracted to, then clearly there's a problem within the relationship that needs to be remedied. Personally? I have no problem with my girlfriend talking to other guys, at all. I trust her.

Outlier

She can do whatever she wants with other guys, as long as I'm there to watch!

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • I am in high school and they are all like that. A girlfriend is a prize to be tightly guarded, she is pretty much property to be kept away from all guys if you don't the boyfriend to beat you up, as has nearly happened to me (to be fair, I did like the girl but legitimately wanted to be just friends, i've never kissed or done anything sexual, there are boundaries, but they don't care and just want to kill you) . Young men can be SOOO jealous and immature, I see the way they think a relationship is meant to work and just facepalm. I'd be not protective at all because I have resolved to no longer like girls who are untrustworthy and immature like their brutish boyfriends. Her guy friends either accept I am in a relationship and can continue being friends or they don't like it and can **** off. There's a difference between that position and telling all friends of the opposite (or same) gender to shove it.

Oh Introvert, you are such a pervert... I love it! Any more room on the tree branch outside her room? ;)

I'm not even surprised, actually. Most teenagers nowadays tend to be quite immature, and disgustingly possessive of their trophy SO. The relationships at my school, however, are purely based on looks. I've witnessed this more than I'd like to admit:

Boy: Hey, you're pretty.
    Girl: Thanks, you're hot.
    Boy: Wanna be my gf?
    Girl: Sure.

*breaks up after a week*

Years
  • It's a sign of insecurity and is probably more a sign that the controlling person is more likely to do more than just talk to someone. You know, one of those projection things.

I don't have problems with my SO talking to people because I know where we stand with our relationship.

Back