• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't you hate it when people rage-quit?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I recently got into competitive battling, and right now I'm kind of doing 4v4 Free Double Battles on Battle Spot to practice for the upcoming competition (and for fun).

A lot of times you get people that turn off their Wifi on their 3DS as soon as a battle starts going sour, or even worse they wait until just near the end and it's very annoying. They're usually the sort of people that bring all Legendaries and expect to win just because of that, and when they don't win they think, "Oh, my opponent has won this battle fair and square and I'm annoyed that I've been outskilled, I'm gonna flick the switch so they get a loss as well even though I was beaten by someone more skilled than me, because if I can't win, why should they?", because they can't lose with dignity.

Ever get any experiences like this? And, since I haven't tried Rating Battles yet, does it happen frequently there?

I also hate it when people bring along their Darkrai and use Dark Void. This is why things like the sleep clause exist.

Birthday Thunder

Venus (Event Archivist)
    Years
    Yeah, I can call myself a very competent battler with a solid team that counters many major threats in the metagame, and I absolutely hate when people wuss out after I start beating on them by turning their wifi off. Now forfeiting, I have no problem with. I equate it to bowing out gracefully to a skilled opponet, but this whole "durr I suck, so my opponent shouldn't get a win........BYE BYE!!!" mentality is really starting to bug me. I've gone so far even as to delete any of my friend the minute they pull that crap. It's so, unsportsman-like, you know??? GF really needs to figure out how to stop people from forcefully cutting communication during a battle somehow.....

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Yeah, I can call myself a very competent battler with a solid team that counters many major threats in the metagame, and I absolutely hate when people wuss out after I start beating on them by turning their wifi off. Now forfeiting, I have no problem with. I equate it to bowing out gracefully to a skilled opponet, but this whole "durr I suck, so my opponent shouldn't get a win........BYE BYE!!!" mentality is really starting to bug me. I've gone so far even as to delete any of my friend the minute they pull that crap. It's so, unsportsman-like, you know??? GF really needs to figure out how to stop people from forcefully cutting communication during a battle somehow.....
    If you do disconnect from wifi, it basically shows you have little (if any) skill at the game and you just don't like that other people do. And surely there must be a way for GF to be able to tell which trainer disconnected, because one of them is still connected to the internet while the other is not, so the one that is still connected should be awarded with a win.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    This happened to me a lot, especially during D/P/Pt and B/W2. Almost all of my opponents brought Legendaries into battle. Once they saw that they were out skilled by me they would just shut off their DS. They were so confident that they would win that they would waste the timer, causing the battle to drag out longer than it needed to.

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    I rage myself every time someone quits. I hate it so much, especially when you have come across an extremely skilful player and you're about to beat them and forever stand in the glory of your victory... and then they quit. Always fires me up, big time.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I rage myself every time someone quits. I hate it so much, especially when you have come across an extremely skilful player and you're about to beat them and forever stand in the glory of your victory... and then they quit. Always fires me up, big time.
    I know what you mean, it's hard not to get angry when people do jerk things like that. I really hope the rage-quitting doesn't occur in Rating Battles, or I will have lost all faith in humanity.

Years
    I recently got into competitive battling, and right now I'm kind of doing 4v4 Free Double Battles on Battle Spot to practice for the upcoming competition (and for fun).

A lot of times you get people that turn off their Wifi on their 3DS as soon as a battle starts going sour, or even worse they wait until just near the end and it's very annoying. They're usually the sort of people that bring all Legendaries and expect to win just because of that, and when they don't win they think, "Oh, my opponent has won this battle fair and square and I'm annoyed that I've been outskilled, I'm gonna flick the switch so they get a loss as well even though I was beaten by someone more skilled than me, because if I can't win, why should they?", because they can't lose with dignity.

Ever get any experiences like this? And, since I haven't tried Rating Battles yet, does it happen frequently there?

I also hate it when people bring along their Darkrai and use Dark Void. This is why things like the sleep clause exist.

Yes, this is such a common thing in rating battles! I won't lie, I've done it some times too but only because I was so angry.... :( I need to work on that lol but if you turn off your 3DS, you lose. So, if the other person chooses to quit, you win! But it's annoying!

PS. There is no such thing as "Sleep clause"... Smogon's rules don't apply outside Smogon... I follow the VGC rules..

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    PS. There is no such thing as "Sleep clause"... Smogon's rules don't apply outside Smogon... I follow the VGC rules..
    Yeah, I know, I just wish it existed in Standard rules because it's very difficult to stop Pokémon from sleeping when the opponenet repeatedly uses it on multiple Pokémon. I am glad that Darkrai is a Legendary and therefore cannot appear in competitions, because I REALLY hate Dark Void.

Years
    I don't think that's ever happened to me (if anything I should be the one rage quitting cause I never win lol but I'd never do that, I always see it through to the bitter end cause I view it as good experience :) Besides, you never know if you can turn things around) :)

There's a couple of times where the connection's been faulty in the middle of a battle and stopped it (which I'm presuming is on my end because I don't see why they'd deliberately quit or whatever if they're winning haha) but if that ever happens I just re-challenge them and lose properly lol :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2014
    To all the people who "Lose Connection"

Seriously, why do you do this?! I understand that some people actually do lose connection, but when you lose connection during a match when you are about to lose, that is just unfair! When I lose, I take the loss because, most of the time, it is well deserved. But when people get so butt-hurt that they can't accept a lose on their record, it starts to ruin mine. I have had soooooo many instances where I would have won a battle, but at the last second, the connection to the match has so curiously been interrupted, and it only happens when I'm about to win. So to all you people who just rage and turn off you 3DS or flip the wireless connection off to avoid a loss, justthink about how mad the people on the other end are going to be! >:(

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
    OMG I hate this so much! >_< I can't stand people who wuss out of a battle/trade... I mean if you can't even cope with i.e. your lack of skill or lack of impatience, just don't even bother to play the games imo (if you know you're going to wuss out anyway).

Just accept defeat and meh, next time it'll be better. If you lose, it just shows you need more training/skill or whatever, but don't just wuss out >_> Is it too much to ask to think in someone else's place? If a random person would do the exact same to them, I bet they don't like it one bit too ..

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I used to strongly dislike it, like most people here. Though, recently, I've started to get over this sort of thing and enjoy battling more in general. I'm doing this for fun, after all, and letting others get to me by rage-quitting is, in my opinion, not the brightest idea. Stuff like this will always happen regardless of where you are--whether it be some simulator or in-game--so getting yourself prepared for it would be a good step to take, if you ask me.

All-in-all, I don't take online battles seriously, to be honest; I find myself doing it only to kill time. Only time I would is if I'm ever in some official tournament of sorts.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years

Hahah. I share your distaste on many a thing. Cool to see someone else actually getting into doubles though, apart from Dark Void I find it to be much less broken and centralized on things like entry hazards - which is usually cause for more interesting battles to me. Anywho, someone else mentioned it, but THANK ARCEUS- in X/Y it is *finally* the case; that if your opponent disconnects; you get a win and they receive a loss. So fear not!

However; if you do get into ratings battles for VGC ... beware smeargle. People who can't get cheap wins with Darkrai there will use Smeargle with Dark Void sketched onto it instead, with either focus sash or choice scarf :x A prankster taunt is a nice trick for dealing with that though.

Many feels shared on the rage quits though :L I play with all janky teams, so when I actually manage to outplay someone using a mega kangaskhan, or mega mawile, and they disconnect I get a bit frustrated. Not because i'm denied satisfaction; but mainly because then I can't save the battle hahah. If they'd at least forfeit instead of disconnect, I could show off how well I outplayed them to muh friends. ;-;

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I used to strongly dislike it, like most people here. Though, recently, I've started to get over this sort of thing and enjoy battling more in general. I'm doing this for fun, after all, and letting others get to me by rage-quitting is, in my opinion, not the brightest idea. Stuff like this will always happen regardless of where you are--whether it be some simulator or in-game--so getting yourself prepared for it would be a good step to take, if you ask me.

All-in-all, I don't take online battles seriously, to be honest; I find myself doing it only to kill time. Only time I would is if I'm ever in some official tournament of sorts.
    I don't really take it too seriously when they rage-quit, t just makes me see my opponent as someone who is unskilled and doesn't want to accept defeat. I did notice it didn't happen to me in the competition, which is nice to see because people understand just how bad it is.
    Hahah. I share your distaste on many a thing. Cool to see someone else actually getting into doubles though, apart from Dark Void I find it to be much less broken and centralized on things like entry hazards - which is usually cause for more interesting battles to me. Anywho, someone else mentioned it, but THANK ARCEUS- in X/Y it is *finally* the case; that if your opponent disconnects; you get a win and they receive a loss. So fear not!

However; if you do get into ratings battles for VGC ... beware smeargle. People who can't get cheap wins with Darkrai there will use Smeargle with Dark Void sketched onto it instead, with either focus sash or choice scarf :x A prankster taunt is a nice trick for dealing with that though.

Many feels shared on the rage quits though :L I play with all janky teams, so when I actually manage to outplay someone using a mega kangaskhan, or mega mawile, and they disconnect I get a bit frustrated. Not because i'm denied satisfaction; but mainly because then I can't save the battle hahah. If they'd at least forfeit instead of disconnect, I could show off how well I outplayed them to muh friends. ;-;
    Yeah, I find doubles to be more strategy-based than singles because the multiple Pokémon means you really have to focus and it brings up more challenges, but also more possibilities. Also in general doubles mean your Pokémon can help their allies, unlike singles (for the most part) where you have to switch out if you're countered and stuff.

I haven't seen a Smeargle in competitive yet, but I sure hope I don't see one with Dark Void.

I do hate it when I won fairly and it was cool and I'd like to show friends, but, "NOPE!", they decide to disconnect.

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
    Years
    Yeah. A few people just rage quit, when they're about to lose. It's a bit annoying.

I remember when I played Pokémon Battle Revolution people used to rage quit a lot as well. Even if they just saw my team. I don't even use legendaries or anything. It's just if they have a rough start.

Years
    I can't find any reason to be angry at rage-quitters. Even though this doesn't provide me any benefits, I usually laugh a lot when they rage-quit. I myself never rage-quit too, even if I'm curbstomped, I patiently wait for the battle to end.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    My boyfriend and I only just started engaging in random Wi-Fi battles and it's only happened once between us, and that was when my boyfriend was using his stalling Gliscor set and the opponent got pissed at him using Toxic + Protect. This is why I typically only battle when it's already decided with a friend or acquaintance or something in advance.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Here is why you should never rage-quit.

MKDW-WWWW-WWW9-33KT

You might miss the funniest parts. {XD}

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Those kids will not know closer or how to properly let go in life. That will be their consequence. What they miss out most are those incredible comebacks, I live for those, on either side.

So when it happens to me, I just have to laugh. Back when I used to run ScarfDos (I know, seriously?), it was just the funniest thing. Somebody loses their Garchomp and it's just a bunch of NOPE.

Back