• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't You Knock?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I knock, but every time I knock my friends get aggravated at me because I don't just walk in "like a normal person."

I prefer for people to knock or ring the doorbell. Who knows what I could be doing? What if you walked in on a friend and they had their thumb up their bum and a rope tied around their neck? GG friendship, that boat has sailed.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I dunno. I guess? If/when it makes sense.

I mean, in my house all of our doors (save washrooms, of course) are open most of the time. The unusualness of someone being behind a closed door here, likely means they want privacy. So, why even intrude?

And then washrooms... the light is on. You can see it under the door. Or you can hear a shower running. So, knocking seems stupid if you have no intention of going in.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I don't live with anyone nor have I needed to see someone behind a closed door in general in a long time, but if I did, hell yes I would knock first, or if they were expecting me I might just say something. In any case, barging in is a no-no. Sometimes people at work have done it (my office is a small room with a door that I usually keep closed), usually paycheck guy because he has to dole 'em all out in a hurry, but otherwise rarely, and other people I usually just go to them or use Skype.

Years
    When I'm in other people's houses I knock. In my house I'll just open the door, except if it's the bathroom. It IS polite to knock, but sometimes it annoys people and every once in a while I knock too hard and my hand starts to hurt. I find it better to avoid that physical trauma.

Years
    I find knocking to be situational. If I'm approaching someone's living quarters, of course I'll knock, but if I'm already known to be meandering around and have gone into the room previously, I'll just walk in.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm confused as to all these places with closed doors. Whenever a door is closed in my apartment, it means one of two things - we have guests and the bedroom door is closed because it's a mess/someone is sleeping and wanted to take their pants off, or the door is closed because someone was making noise and the door was closed to contain it. Neither one is a "don't come in" kind of situation for me because I live there and the only people pantsless there are me and my boyfriend. I would expect a guest to knock in that situation.

In the houses of other people, I'll knock on doors that are closed before I enter because I don't know if someone is changing in a room or it's one of those houses with no crack under the bathroom door or whatever.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    If the door is closed, you knock. I thought that was just common courtesy?
    I have never even bothered to lock my bathroom door because nobody I know just 'barges in.' That's rude.

I mean, if it's just me and Boyfriend, we don't really bother to knock first. Well, we knock on the bathroom door, but that goes without saying.
    If we have guests or if we go to someone else's house, then yes. You knock and wait for a response. You dunno why that door is closed. :v

Years
    I definitely knock. I feel like for me though, it's mostly because I am afraid of;
    a.) Walking in on somebody doing something embarrassing or otherwise private and me getting a flood of secondhand embarrassment.
    b.) Somebody getting upset at me.

I also just knock because I expect other's to knock, and I wouldn't like to be barged in on so why would I barge in on anyone else?

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
    At home, usually not because we're all pretty comfortable with each other, & we usually know when not to bother someone else. It's a little annoying, but I've gotten used to it. .-. My dad knocks whenever he comes into my room, but my mom just barges in, haha.

I would expect my friends to knock though since I would extend that same courtesy. I knock when approaching teacher offices too, even if the door's already open 'cause it just feels like the more polite thing to do.

Years
    I knock when I'm currently outdoors, but I just barge in anywhere inside my house which lead to... unpleasantries.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Closed doors always get a light knock from me. Not too hard so they don't feel pressured, and two to four hits depending on how much distance I have from them as someone I know. If I don't know them I give a generic three-hit knock which usually has enough force to make a sufficient sound.

I would only go into a place without a knock if the person I may intrude on is someone I'm really close to, because then I know they wouldn't mind me coming in no matter what they may be doing. :)

Years
    I always knock, and I like it when people knock for me. I don't like to barge in to people's rooms because they probably won't like that. Also, if someone is doing something they don't want you to see and you just barge in then they won't be very happy. I respect other people's privacy.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2017
    I always try to knock before entering a room, but no one else in my family does. I hate it when people barge into my room. ;~;

I also hate it when people knock too loud. Stop trying to kick my door down. :(

Back