• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't you think the anime design is lame?

Shion

Uso da!!!
Years
  • I mean, Ash says he wants to be the world's best trainer. He always says that. But does he TRY to do that? No. Instead, Ash and his pals always find someone with a problem and try to "help" them. If Ash wants to be a real Pokemon trainer, he would focus on training and toughening his Pokemon, instead of helping people. Sure helping people is nice, but not if it is the case in 99 percent of the episodes in the Pokemon saga. I therefore proclaim Ash a wannabe hero (not to mention idiot) who really saves the world about six times but is never rewarded by anyone, never lives up to his words about becomeing a great trainer, and a freak who feeds 60 percent of his Pokemon everstones the night he catches them.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • Bianca said:
    I mean, Ash says he wants to be the world's best trainer. He always says that. But does he TRY to do that? No. Instead, Ash and his pals always find someone with a problem and try to "help" them. If Ash wants to be a real Pokemon trainer, he would focus on training and toughening his Pokemon, instead of helping people. Sure helping people is nice, but not if it is the case in 99 percent of the episodes in the Pokemon saga. I therefore proclaim Ash a wannabe hero (not to mention idiot) who really saves the world about six times but is never rewarded by anyone, never lives up to his words about becomeing a great trainer, and a freak who feeds 60 percent of his Pokemon everstones the night he catches them.
    I really can't believe that it took me seven years to realize how pathetic Ash really was.

I have to agree with you. Aside from Cyndaquil's flame problem and Pikachu's Iron Tail, I've yet to see Ash train at least ONE Pokemon.

Also, I'm beginning to see that Ash has too many lucky breaks.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    Hes a pretty moronic character. I will say that he does trian Treeko(but you can barely call it that, they are just spitting seeds) and in the future hes going to trian Swellow to do Arial Ace(during the Lilycove contest) and when he finally catches a Snorunt, he trys to teach it to do Ice Beam succesfully(which even in the fifteen episodes he has it it never does it once until it evolves in the middle of the grand festival) But yeah he is pretty pathetic. I think the main reason they make him help people is because if even 50% of the episodes he spent training the show would be even worse than it already is.

But really the shows plot is much too convienient for everyone involved.

Tsukasa

KWR
    Years
  • Bianca said:
    I mean, Ash says he wants to be the world's best trainer. He always says that. But does he TRY to do that? No. Instead, Ash and his pals always find someone with a problem and try to "help" them. If Ash wants to be a real Pokemon trainer, he would focus on training and toughening his Pokemon, instead of helping people. Sure helping people is nice, but not if it is the case in 99 percent of the episodes in the Pokemon saga. I therefore proclaim Ash a wannabe hero (not to mention idiot) who really saves the world about six times but is never rewarded by anyone, never lives up to his words about becomeing a great trainer, and a freak who feeds 60 percent of his Pokemon everstones the night he catches them.

There is nothing really wrong with this,i mean what anime doesnt involve the main character helping other people?Its been like that fro sometime now and i doubt that will change besides if ash DOES become a pokemon master it would just add to his popularity ratings and make him even more famous,besides most of his pokemon train in battles with everyone he comes by so they are all progressing,like charmender for ash never actually showed him training him,just battles after battles like the episode where he evolved into charmeleon because of the execgutor(SP?) pokemon.It then eventually evolved in the powerful charizard we all know today.So weather he shows taht he trains them or not his pokemon will continue to evolve, and get stronger.I highly doubt that the way anime design will change or is even thinking about changing the way it helps people,kids and alot of others watch the show and im guessing it teachs the kids values and what not ^^;; so they think this is good for them.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
  • >_> Wow, you guys really went critical of Ash, huh?

I agree with a lot of what many of you said (more Tetsuya-san than the others). I think the problem many people have with the anime is that it has simply been on too long. Television shows that run for a long period of time start to run out of ideas, I mean, there are only so many things you can do before gym battles all start looking the same. I agree that the episodes involving the: 'trainer of the day' and 'pokemon of the day' and a problem surrounding them needing a solution, is a little stale now, but there's no need to blame that on Ash's character.

Ash himself has a goal that takes a long time to do; you don't just walk up to the Pokemon League (any of them) and win. Also, wouldn't Ash's life be extremely boring if all he ever did was train pokemon to win? I want to be a Biology teacher, but that doesn't mean I spend every spare moment thinking up fake lesson plans and practicing on my stuffed animals. I do other stuff too.

As for not seeing him train, I think that in a way helping those other people is a way of training. When he has to use his pokemon to help with labor, help them find something, help them communicate an idea to a wild pokemon, that's learning, growing, and to me is another way to train your pokemon. The show doesn't equal the game, that we all can agree on. In the game, you walk around and help people and battle wild pokemon and trainers. In the show, you help people and battle others.

On a personal note, I kinda like that the anime doesn't show Ash beating up on level 12 Pidgey... that always seemed kinda mean to me. Whatever happens to those fainted wild pokemon in the game anyway? o.O

I just think that this has little to do with Ash, and more to do with the longevity of the pokemon anime. Even one of my favorite shows (Fraiser) got boring towards the end to the point where I just didn't even watch it.

If you wanna talk about a character that never does what he's supposed to be doing, then talk about Brock. Poor Brock, all he ever seems to do is comment on battles, pokemon they come across, and cook. He's one of my favorite characters, and he always seems to get the shaft.

*looks back at post* Okay, yeah, I wrote a lot... ^^;

Years
  • Well all I wanna complain of is how he keeps givin' away good pkmn, tch, like Charizard. >_<

W00t, tch, hell have no fury like Toto if she sees this thread... ^^;;;;

Oblivion Edgegirl Ayu

Rather Boring
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2007
    Ash... Well, I'll give him this: Way to many lucky breaks. For instance, in the first movie, when he is turned to stone, it's just by luck that Pikachu's tears turn him back to normal.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
  • Wasn't the tear thing one of the legends behind the movie though? I mean, about how the pokemon's tears revived the people lost from a storm or something? I don't think that one was luck, it was a legend coming true again. Meh, it's been a while since I've seen the first movie; feel free to correct me. ^^;

RSL

RaikouSpecialLover
    Years
  • Tetsuya-san said:
    Believe me, I've already shown her.

So, either off the Ash bash and onto other characters, or something terrible may happen.
    Or what? People here can actually be BANNED by bashing a character?

Anyway...

My opinion on Ash: Like most of you guys said, he's got too many lucky breaks, and more of his Pokemon should evolve. Hell, why does he have more pre-evolved Pogeys than evos? At this point in the saga, you'd think that all his Pogeys are fully-fledged. Also, it looks like, basically, Ash's attitude has NOT changed from when we first met him in Kanto, let alone HIS AGE.
    I'll leave it upon there.

Duplica

Survivor of Cornwell
    Years
  • I agree with Light_Azumarill. The show has been on so long, that new ideas are scarce. But about Ash's personality... Helping people actually makes his Pokemon stronger. For example, it was after he helped Melvin that his Charmander evolved. A not only that, but his knowledge needed to become a pokemon master grows during the series, like when Team Rocket kidnaps Duplica's Ditto. And also, all of the comedy and characters give the show a cute twist, like the ending of the Pokemon Heros: Latios and Latias Movie. :D
    Oh well... That's just how I feel... :sleeping:

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
  • About Ash's pokemon not evolving... hasn't he shown that he doesn't care about that? Hasn't the anime made a point in saying/showing that evolution is something to be taken very seriously, that many pokemon don't want to change? Maybe Ash's Corphish doesn't want to evolve? And why should it? So it can become all super-powerful and put away like Charizard? >_> Just because Ash's pokemon don't evolve, doesn't mean they can't still be powerful. I once kept all of my pokemon team unevolved in my Pokemon Yellow game and beat the Elite Four with them. Sure they would have had better stats if they had been evolved, but I did just fine without it.

To me, pokemon evolving is like a character growing up. Their whole dynamic and personality changes. Charmander was certainly different in the extreme, Bayleef's persoanlity even had a shift, Glalie doesn't act the same either (at least not to my knowledge). Though I am aware that a few of his pokemon also acted pretty much the same like Pidgeot and Grovyle. Though with Grovyle, while his personality seems to be pretty intact, he just doesn't give off the 'cute geko trying to look cool' thing. He's just cool-looking and cool-acting now.

I just think evolving is a big step, and it's one that shouldn't have to happen just because a year or two has passed. I think it's better that Ash's pokemon aren't all evolved anyway; what would be the fun if all of his pokemon were already evolved and extremely powerful? It's cooler that he could be skilled enough to do great in a league with non-evolved pokemon anyway. Plus, there would be no anticipation of evolution left, and no worry that Ash's pokemon would be beaten. Even if they made Ash still loose with his evolved pokemon, wouldn't that seem weird? It would be as strange as Pikachu loosing to a mildly difficult gym's Vigoroth... oh wait that did happen ^^;....

Though I do agree about Ash winning a little too much (and what's up with Pikachu being the only pokemon to blast off TR? There are others that could do it you know... -_-), I still say that the amount of his pokemon that are evolved are the number they should be.

And I write way too much... maybe I should make a cliff notes version. ^^;

AngelMina

+Im Back+
    Years

• "Bianca"
    Well, that is your opinion, from which you are entitled to have one.
    The whole thing doesnt seem to bug me. You see, Ash really does want to be the worlds best trainer, as well as the greatest pokemon master. He has said many times before in the 1st season of pokemon as well as other seasons to. Ash does show that he wants to be strong. He takes good care of his pokemon, as well as making sure he wins his gym battles. Just because his pokemon doesnt evolve , doesnt mean they arent strong or powerful enough- as to what " Light Azumarill" Is trying to point out, and for one I agree with her as well. He had Pikachu for so long, but he never wanted to make pikachu evolve... either way Pikachu was strong besides that. He taught his Pikachu to use iron tail, Making a pokemon "Not" evolve doesnt mean they arent strong >_<;........... So what if Ash helps people, its good to help people in need.... If Ash just keeps battling and battling and focusing on pokemon and not a little bit on the social world.... The show would be absolultley boring >>- I guess that would be my opinion...

marillmonster2000

PC's True Blue Marill
    Years
  • ..The Show Would Get REALLY Boring If It Just Showed Satoshi Training And Battling All The Time. Just Like The Gameboy Games. Wich Are Fun Of course, But You Have To Admit, It's Kinda Boring When you're Just Walking Around Training On Wild Pokemon.

What Makes You Think Satoshi Is An Idiot? He Was Kinda... Dumb In The Earlyer Episodes, I'll Admit. But It Was For The Sake Of Humor. And He's gotten A Lot Brighter/Matured More As The Episodes Go On.

One Thing That I Noticed Is, Like, Aren't Legendary Pokemon Supposed To Be... Legendary? Like, People Aren't Even Supposed To Know If They Exist Or Not? Satoshi Just Sees A Legendary, And Acts Like It's A Pidgey. He Didn't Even Seem Surprised At All In OOne Of The More Recent Eps When He Saw An Articuno Because... Well, He's Seen So Many Legendarys!

And Satoshi Helps People Because. Oh , I Don't Know.. He's A Nice Person? How Is That A Bad Quality?

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
  • You know, the legendary thing has always been rather confusing.

I think that there are certain pokemon that are legendary (ie. the Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos, and Lugia from the Orange Islands, Celebi from the movie, Mewtwo). These pokemon had some sort of hand in a legend or some myth behind a huge event in the world.

But in the anime, there are more than one of a few different legendaries (and was the Mew from the latest movie the Mew from the first? XD). I assume that those are not legendary pokemon, but some sort of super-rare decendants of the real legendary pokemon.

Oh... I've confused myself....

As for Ash acting surprised about it all; I can't defend that. He also has memory lapses of owning Pidgeot and having seen rare pokemon before. I blame that on the writers. >_>

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • Bianca said:

I agree with that...with ALL of that...Bianca, you are my hero...

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Ash is trying to be a great Pokemon trainer. What do you think the GYMS and leagues are for? He's become a better trainer after every region.

As for "releasing" Pokemon? He hasn't done that since the Orange Islands. Neither Charizard nor Squirtle count as released Pokemon, since he can use them anytime he wants.

Back