• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

.dot hack....an addiction

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    Well folks I've.moved into my own apartment,though seeing as I had to pay rent AND a big deposit(then food,phone,cigarette,etc expenses) I had to settle for a 40 dollar ps2 slim decided to try rpgs I haven't played so I. Bought x enogears,champions of norrath and .dot hack infection....and have ignored my paper,my ds,and all other games to play hack.

I was 1.suggesting it to anyone with a ps2 who hasn't played it 2.asking if the sequels amd manga/anime series are as good and 3.stating my newfound addiction in a last gen game I bought on impulse after being burned by pokemon heartgold not working with no more copies available at my local gamestop.

Fin

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • You've only played .hack//Infection? Because if that's the case, there's about 6 other of those games that are just as good, if not better.
    I love this series; It's honestly one of my all time favorites.

.hack//Infection is the first installment in a 4-part series for the PS2.
    The other 3 being //Mutation, //Outbreak, and //Quarantine

Then there's the 3-part .hack//G.U. series for PS2 that in my opinion are even better than the original 4 .hack games. These are //Rebirth, //Reminisce, and //Redemption.
    The story, characters and world in the G.U. series are all amazing.

They really do an excellent job of creating a make-believe online game environment inside of a single player game
    I and every other fan of the series agree that they really need to make an MMO based around The World, more specifically the one in the .hack//GU series.

Cheers! Hope you enjoy the other games.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The entire media franchise is amazing, from the manga to the anime to the games to the novels. And they're all in the same universe, so for example in the show you might meet Balmung of the Azure Sky, then in the novel you can read about how he became "of the Azure Sky", which is really cool.

Sometimes I have trouble suspending my disbelief though in the anime/manga, where the video game characters have really diverse expressions and such haha, and do things you wouldn't be able to do in a game.

Years
  • Eh. I managed to beat Infection, but never managed to get far in Mutation due to the EXTREMELY small amounts of EXP I got from enemies and running into groups of Mu Guardians who would constantly cast spells, during which time you can't move for some reason. I ragequit gave up on the games, but meh. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did :P

As for the rest of the series- STAY AWAY FROM THE LEGEND OF THE TWILIGHT ANIME. It's horrible, especially compared to the manga. Everything else is the bomb-diggity.[/Balmung]

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Eh. I managed to beat Infection, but never managed to get far in Mutation due to the EXTREMELY small amounts of EXP I got from enemies and running into groups of Mu Guardians who would constantly cast spells, during which time you can't move for some reason. I ragequit gave up on the games, but meh. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did :P

I actually found a little leveling trick in Mutation that made training incredibly easy by making use of the element system. I don't remember how in the world I found this out, but at the beginning of the game I ended up at a level 50 ice/water zone with a Fire Weapon (level 50 being the level cap in Mutation) and for some reason no matter what level you're at, even the lowest Mutation will allow you to be, all water/ice enemies are pushovers if you use a Fire Weapon/Fire Skills. I ended up going from level 30 to around 45~ by the time I went through the entire map/dungeon.

I should have tried that in the other games now that I think about it!

Sometimes I have trouble suspending my disbelief though in the anime/manga, where the video game characters have really diverse expressions and such haha, and do things you wouldn't be able to do in a game.

I've wondered that myself, hahaha.

By the way, they apparently just announced a new movie for the series related to Kite in The World R2 it looks like.
    Spoiler:

I want to play the //G.U. trilogy again. D:

Last edited:

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    If you are coming into the Hack world... Your in for the long one lol...

And Redemption is the best IMO!!!!!!! Good Luck with this *goes plays Redemption after you mentioned all this again*

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I completely love the whole franchise. I started on Legend of the twilight and from there have bought as many of the mangas as I can find, whilst getting all the dvds and games. Still need a fw of the mmangas to compelte the full set. The games are fantastic though. I have played through them so many times and each time I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2012
    be ready to completly overtrain in order to compensate for the weak abilities, theres also .hack//GU which is slightly different but more or less still the same game play, 1, 2, and 3 for GU.

i would highly support a .hack MMO but its just not profitable sadly >.<

also disapointed that i couldnt play as tsukasa, the whole reason i bought the game, oh well it was still decent enough to beat through.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2012
    I've been a .hack// addict for as long as I can remember, which isn't actually very long most days. Anyhow. I've played all of the games, read the mangas, watched the animes, etc. My favorite character is Wiseman though and the Net Slums is my favorite place, lol. Sadly, my dog peed on my PS2 and my .hack// games were lost in moving from one house to the next.

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    I remember picking up G.U. Vol. 1 and getting hooked. I had to sell Infection, Rebirth, and Reminisence when I moved, but I'm slowly getting them back (got Infection recently, should get Rebirth soon!). Amazing series <3

Back