• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Double palettes for one image

Brodensson

Broden
Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2017
    I'm not sure whether this will sound confusing, but here it goes:

I have an indexed image (4bit), that I have inserted into my rom (firered) at 0x800000
    Directly below this at offset 0x802000, I have also Inserted an image.

These images are for the type icons (as seen in the pokedex, pokemon data and move data) such as the normal icon, fire icon, etc. My second image has four extra colours. Now, by stacking the two images directly on top of each other, I can access data from both images simultaneously.

My problem is with the palettes.

I can only make these two images access one palette at a time, so when one images colouring looks normal, the other one will look odd. What I was wondering is if I could make the palette pointer point to a script, which would then check a byte of data (which in this case, would be what determines whether I use the first or second stacked image) and then repoint to the respective palette for that image. It would say something like:

if 0x00 goto 0x[palette1]
    if 0x01 goto 0x[palette2]

I hope that this makes sense. If any screenshots are needed, please let me know. All help is appreciated!

DarkenedEclipse

Project Oak
    Years
  • I'm not sure whether this will sound confusing, but here it goes:

I have an indexed image (4bit), that I have inserted into my rom (firered) at 0x800000
    Directly below this at offset 0x802000, I have also Inserted an image.

These images are for the type icons (as seen in the pokedex, pokemon data and move data) such as the normal icon, fire icon, etc. My second image has four extra colours. Now, by stacking the two images directly on top of each other, I can access data from both images simultaneously.

My problem is with the palettes.

I can only make these two images access one palette at a time, so when one images colouring looks normal, the other one will look odd. What I was wondering is if I could make the palette pointer point to a script, which would then check a byte of data (which in this case, would be what determines whether I use the first or second stacked image) and then repoint to the respective palette for that image. It would say something like:

if 0x00 goto 0x[palette1]
    if 0x01 goto 0x[palette2]

I hope that this makes sense. If any screenshots are needed, please let me know. All help is appreciated!
    For icons? Just use gen third suite it's a lot easier

Brodensson

Broden
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2017
    For icons? Just use gen third suite it's a lot easier

I don't think you understood what I meant. I know about Gen III Suite and how to use it. I have no problem adding new icons or palettes, but I want my Image to be able to call on data from multiple palettes simultaneously, as I have added additional colours. I originally just edited the palette with adjusted colours, but I decided I want more than 16 colours. This is why I want a script to call upon both palettes by reading an offset and checking the data to choose which palette to use for each Icon.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • From what I know from graphical hacking, which I am not the best at, there isn't a such thing, as adding palletes to a single image. If you want the image to be expanded, in terms of color palletes. I do have a suggestion.

The title screen can use up to 240 colors. To achieve this, all of the colors is on the same offset, but on multiple indexes. It sounds weird but this link should explain it.

So my suggestion is to put any additional colors you want, through multiple indexes, and see how that works out for you. You may need to research this more, but you seem to know what you are doing, so go for it, :)

EDIT: You could also use JPAN's Fire Red Hacked Engine, since it can host a baziliion pallets.

Brodensson

Broden
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2017
    Thank you DJTiki, I am testing your first reference, as I think it may work. I don't like using rom bases or hacked engines, because I prefer to do the work myself, so if there's a bug, I know (hopefully) how to fix it. Thanks again :). (Will post update if works).

UPDATE: It did not work :(, this methold will only work for 8 bit images, as they have the ability to call on 256 colours, where 4 bit images can only call on 16 colours. I currently don't know any way to display the images in the 8 bit format properly without inserting or tweaking an ASM routine (which I am currently attempting to learn). Hopefully I can fix these images soon. Could you direct me to someone who is an experience graphical hacker, and would be willing to help me? Thanks :).

Last edited:
    Back