• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DOUBLE Types?!

Zylas

Dat Trains Kid
Years
  • Hey guys, I was thinking this morning; what if Gamefreak introduced double types? Now I don't the run of the mill Water/Ground sort of thing, I mean what if there were Water/Water types? With say, a 4x weakness to Electric and 4x resistance to Fire? Would this spark an advantage or disadvantage? Would you ever consider a Pokemon like this on your team, despite the risk? How would this even affect competitive battling as a whole?

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Would this spark an advantage or disadvantage? Would you ever consider a Pokemon like this on your team, despite the risk? How would this even affect competitive battling as a whole?

This will come as a huge disadvantage for competitive battling if it did exist. Pokemon with the same typing for two types would always have a 4x weakness, which certain attackers can capitalize on. It's too silly to even think about it when you consider that Grass/Grass and Rock/Rock have 5 double weaknesses, and that any type weak to Stealth Rock would always lose 50% of HP upon entry. Moreover, it has the same STAB coverage as those of single-types. This idea doesn't even change the look of Pokemon. It it just never going to happen and these reasons above are why I wouldn't consider one for my team.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • This will come as a huge disadvantage for competitive battling if it did exist. Pokemon with the same typing for two types would always have a 4x weakness, which certain attackers can capitalize on. It's too silly to even think about it when you consider that Grass/Grass and Rock/Rock have 5 double weaknesses, and that any type weak to Stealth Rock would always lose 50% of HP upon entry. Moreover, it has the same STAB coverage as those of single-types. This idea doesn't even change the look of Pokemon. It it just never going to happen and these reasons above are why I wouldn't consider one for my team.

But think of it this way - surely it would also mean that you also get a double STAB bonus, SpecsOgre (..and SpecsToed I guess) just got that much more powerful, have fun tanking THAT Water Spout!

Double STAB 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Palkia in rain: 215-253 (66.97 - 78.81%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes, 37.5% chance to OHKO after Spikes

Double STAB 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey in rain: 469-553 (73.05 - 86.13%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes, 81.25% chance to OHKO after Spikes

Double STAB 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 252 HP / 208+ SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 338-398 (96.02 - 113.06%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Double STAB 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Arceus-Grass in rain: 381-448 (85.81 - 100.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes

Double STAB 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina in rain: 319-376 (63.41 - 74.75%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes

Just run spikes support and Tailwind and you'll be set for the sweep of your lifetime! I'm down.

Years
  • Double STAB just means there will definitely be even more power creep than ever before, which if it gets big enough, will ruin Pokemon.

Besides, what sense does it make to have two of the same type? What difference does it have from a single type? Not only does the idea make no sense whatsoever, but it's a horrible move for Pokemon franchise as well, as it will either overpower or further ruin more Pokemon, creating a much larger gap between good and bad. Employees at Game Freak will probably laugh their asses out if they ever hear this idea, for the reasons I have mentioned.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • But think of it this way - surely it would also mean that you also get a double STAB bonus, SpecsOgre (..and SpecsToed I guess) just got that much more powerful, have fun tanking THAT Water Spout!

I see what you mean. I never thought of a double-STAB, but even if that happens it would make the other coverage moves worthless even if they are super-effective, because the STAB is modified to 2.25.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Double STAB just means there will definitely be even more power creep than ever before, which if it gets big enough, will ruin Pokemon.

Basically this. It makes no more sense competitively to try and justify a 4x weakness to an otherwise 2x weakness by adding an extra STAB. If anything it renders anything not double-typed wholly redundant to use.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
    Years
  • It just wouldn't make sense at all. If it's a water-type, it is a water-type, you can't have 200% water.
    It would also ruin competitive battling, some types would have so many 4x weaknesses then.

Back