• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Doubling Player Battle Size

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    So I am trying to double the player battle back size via scripts rather than doubling the graphics size. I have achieved this by doubling the zoom number in the section of PokeBattleActualScene that deals with sending out the players pokemon. However when my pokemon uses the move growl (and probably other moves I just haven't found them yet) the players battle sprite size shrinks back to standard size. I can't seem to figure out why this happens and how to fix it... I have checked the wiki, and thats not of much help, or at least where I can find...Please help!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    While playing an animation, copies of the Pokémon sprites are created and they are used in that animation instead (because that lets you fiddle with them during the animation but not permanently affect them). The animation sets the zoom of these copied sprites to whatever they use, which is 100% by default (and is rarely if ever changed).

You can either manually change the zoom of the Pokémon back sprite in every frame of every animation whose position is "Both Battlers" (yeah right), or you can figure out some script changes. Have a look in class PBAnimationPlayerPosition3, and then in def update for the line pbSpriteSetAnimFrame(sprite,cel). Try adding the lines sprite.zoom_x*=2.0 if cel[AnimFrame::PATTERN]==-1 and sprite.zoom_y*=2.0 if cel[AnimFrame::PATTERN]==-1 after it, and see what that does.

This is untested. Please tell us if it works or not.

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    That works in terms of the scaling of the animation and such, however In changing the zoom of the player battle sprite, I had to change the location of the sprite in the scripts as well, and with those changes made the sprite still jumps to a different position, and then returns back to the actual position until the move animation is complete.

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    I may get in trouble for double posting....

Is there a way to double the overall animation size via scripts for the player? Or Do I have to go through and do that by hand....

If so is there a way to disable move animations besides the tackle animation?

The reason I ask is because while adding those bits of code does help the scaling issue of the battler sprite, it does not change the scaling of the animation, and therefore the animation no longer lines up correctly with the battler sprite. It instead happens much further up on the screen than it should.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I'm having a hard time deciding exactly why you want to do all this (because you haven't told us yourself). You were talking about resizing only the back sprites, which implied you wanted to mimic Gen 5's battle screen with all its pixels, but now you're talking about resizing animations which implies you're increasing the screen size the hard way (yet you still haven't mentioned resizing the front sprites or anything else). Not knowing this means it's harder to think up the best solution.

Doubling the size of the animations shouldn't be too difficult, I think. It would involve making tweaks (kinda like the one I showed above) to the zoom of all animation sprites and their coordinates. In both cases, they should be doubled (although for coordinates, it's their position relative to the focal points that's the key, not their absolute coordinates). Focal points are either the target, user and target, or 0,0. In all cases, it's just a bit of maths.

It's easy enough to just delete the move animations you don't want, though.

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    Okay, So I am trying to achieve a battle system that looks like this...

Doubling Player Battle Size

Without doubling the size of the backsprites within their graphic files, so that I can draw the back sprites elsewhere at the standard size. The standard size doesn't fit well in the battle system...And with the script-resized backsprites the animation does not draw in the appropriate spot, as well as it looks scaled small compared to the oversized back sprite...

I may be going about this the wrong way, but I didn't know a better way to do it...

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Back sprites used elsewhere (i.e. only in one page of the Pokédex; that's the only place I can think of where they're used) aren't used in animations and whatnot, and are thus easier to fiddle with without risking any messes.

My advice is to make the graphics the size you want them in the battle screen, then in the Pokédex shrink the back sprite graphic to 50% zoom.

Back