• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dowsing Machines!

Nakala Pri

Over the years, there have been a huge amount of Dowsing machines. Some you stuck on your head, others were Apps and then there was just the simple tablet that you held, which would ping! every time you headed in the right direction.

So, which Dowsing Machine is your favourite? For convenience or design?

ORAS Dowsing machine spoiler below!

Spoiler:

Years
  • I have to say that my favorite was from Generation V, where it uses the Touch Screen and points you in the direction of the item where it's present. That was what I found to be the most helpful of all of them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'd have to agree with above; due to reasons that had been stated, when it comes to Dowsing Machine, it would have to be from generation five.

However, aside from that, I'm actually quite fond of Itemfinder from generation three of games. It's not exactly Dowsing Machine, per se, but it is a variant, as it helps us find and get a hold of hidden items. It chimes bells every time you take a step or two, if I remember correctly, and the close you are to an item, the louder the sound would alarm; it was actually quite easy to utilize.

If they had kept this key item in future games rather than replacing, I believe it would have been better overall, in many ways. Of course, some might not have found it to be very helpful, which is understandable, but I'm sure many of us have. Plus, with some simple edits to its function here and there, Itemfinder could have gotten even better.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • The only Generation I played was Gen. 5 and I sure remember that Dowsing Machine. However, the thing that annoyed me was that I always forget you had to be next to the item rather than on the item to pick it up. Still, a very useful feature and I liked the cool sound effects too.

Back