• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dragon Quest!

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
  • Dragon Quest (or Dragon Warrior as known in North America in its early years) is one of the first console RPGs. Back in the good ol' '80s Koichi Nakamura and Yuji Horii developed a new concept of RPG, away from the traditional Ultima and Wizardry, breaking away from the complexity of D&D.
    Koichi Sugiyama provided a more classical feel to the music of the series while Akira Toriyama provided a different view of character and monster artwork compared to other RPG games. (Info credit, Woodus)

There are currently 10 main games in the series, with only one not being released outside of Japan.

While Dragon Quest has been a hit in Japan, unfortunately, DQ hasn't fared well in the west, leading to many unreleased games. This is possibly due to Final Fantasy.

So, does anyone else play Dragon Quest?

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I'm a fan. Currently playing Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS. I've played most of the main series games, and while it does lack the obvious innovations of other JRPG series, it definitely makes up for with simplicity and charm. They are basic, traditional, and simple JRPGs similar to those from the early NES/SNES days when a lot of RPG players were first introduced to the genre. I like how closely the series has stayed to its roots.

Dragon Quest XI looks beautiful so far.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I'm...hm...

I really enjoyed IX because of the job system and the open design, and I played VIII back when it was released- that was my first one. Then there was Hand of the Heavenly Bride, which...I believe was the second one I played, and I played it for a good while.

I'm definitely not as into it as most people who play the series- or I wasn't when I played them. IX was a lot of fun until I stopped, but I think if I were to go back I'd probably beat it since my Turn-Based RPG fatigue seems to be wearing off. The music's pleasant and the art's by Akira Toriyama, which I'm always happy to indulge, and hell, I'd probably be into VII and IV if I went back to them. I was actually really debating getting the remake of VII when I was in Best Buy. Still am, actually. Anyone have it?

Oh, and also, the demo of Builders came out recently, and from what I've heard it's pretty enjoyable.

Ninjorf

Friendo
    Years
  • Oh Dragon Quest, a franchise so near and dear to my heart. I'm really disappointed in 7. There's so much running around back and fourth and the game is so slow at the start. The triggers to progress the game have left me lost a few times. This has never happened with any other Dragon Quest game. I'm still convinced that V is the best of the bunch.

Years
  • This is a series I have yet to try to get back into, though to be fair, the only one of the series I have really played was the original game (which I thought was pretty "meh", I beat it but it was years after I first got it and I almost had to make myself do so). I never saw any of the sequels in stores up until...okay, I forget which one, might have been 7. And by that time, having never played any of the other games, I was like "eh, I'll pass", since I didn't know how much I would actually enjoy it.

Maybe someday when I don't feel bad about buying yet another jrpg (I have several I still have yet to play/finish), I'll pick one up and see how it is.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2016
    Very much a fan! Dragon Warrior was the very first JRPG I ever played. My favorite so far is DQ8. I recently picked up the VII remake, but haven't delved far into it yet.

Years
  • Love the series and I'm playing VII now, although it's fighting with IV, II, and I (in that particular order) for the spot of my least favorite of the series. The grinding itself doesn't bother me because it's Dragon Quest so it's to be expected, but the story and the pacing are...not very impressive. Assuming VII doesn't completely burn me out by the time I'm done, I think I'll try to play through the Zenithia trilogy. I never actually finished IV and I can use any excuse to replay V (my favorite in the main series).

I'm still hoping for a localization for the Monsters 3DS remake.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I played the original NES "Dragon Warrior". I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not too complicated or bogged down in things. Just a simple and fun JRPG.

Years
  • I thoroughly enjoyed Dragon Quest IX specifically because of the job system that they had and creating your own team's looks is always a plus!

Nothing beats putting the hurt to the enemy like having a team of all White Mages (or closest equivalent) and stomping the living snot out of everything.

Back