• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: DragonFire Red

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2012
    This is my first hack and it's been a steep learning curve figuring out how to make it work. I do appreciate feedback and just hope it's as enjoyable for someone else as it is for me.

Storyline: This is set in the semi-familiar region of Kanto, but the landscape has been morphed and expanded with 50 years of large terrain-changing Pokemon stomping about the place. For some reason (Plot alert!) wild Pokemon have been getting increasingly dangerous and violent towards humans and human settlements, periodically attacking towns. It's a tradition for young folk to train their own Pokemon team simply for town protection.

There are rumors circulating about this increased aggression. There are also rumors that the Pokerus is affecting humans and that humans can develop into Pokemon. Team Rocket is present, but there are two other factions interfering with the world's events: The Wardens and the Slayers. Both have different philosophies and goals, and you may find yourself aligning with one group over the other...

Also, I intend for you to be able to catch/evolve/hatch 386 Pokemon. Some of the evolutionary lines are edited to remove trade-only evolutions, and the day/night or happiness evolutions will be edited out.

Screenshots
    Spoiler:

I'm trying to add three different rivals, but the learning curve is steep and I have real difficulty editing trainer sprites and overworld sprites (the rom just breaks). There are some custom tiles, just enough to be interesting.

New areas include:

• Swamp east of Route 1
    • Mt Smoulder south of Victory Road
    • Deep Grotto and Sunny Meadow deep in Viridian Forest
    • New path , town and mine north of Mt Moon (currently unnamed)
    • Canyon north of Cerulean city, with ruins
    • Little grotto East of Route 5
    • And a number on unfinished preview areas...
    Currently playable up to Cerulean gym. The areas beyond that are either original on unpolished.

I'm not sure if the level curve is a bit too steep, but there is lots to explore and catch, so have fun with the Evee's near route 1. I'm also trying to hide story elements in books, pictures etc.

Feedback would be most welcome, if you keep in mind that this is a lean-as-you-go hack. :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2012
    Thanks, I used them already and crashed everything. Twice. I need to find another way around that.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
  • Spoiler:

The bases on these statues look really odd. They don't seem to be from the same perspective as everything else.

Spoiler:

Also, The footprint tiles can be edited slightly. I think the problem is that you have the dark on the bottom/left, and not the top/right. If you change that they'll probably look like they're going in instead of out of the ground.

I'm very picky about tiles, but I know how hard it can be to create good ones sometimes. The mapping isn't the best thing I've ever seen, but it's definitely a really good start, especially for a first hack. I'm glad you sucked it up with the high learning cliff (it isn't a curve) to bring this to us.

blazerj13

Impossibly Possible~
    Years
  • lookin nice mate, hope you finish this hack, keep it up! also, you said something about the humans morphing into pokemon or something like that? why not add some pokemon bosses or maybe some special pokemon in the game? just take out the lesser pokemon like oddish or bellsprout. i mean i love the storyline, i just feel like you could do a whole lot more.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • I love the story, its original and really awesome, you can do so many things with it. you can fight trainers that also attack by the end of the battle becoming pokemon themselves, or even have the team rocket crime boss do something like, speeding up the pokerus-human transformation process!

I cant wait to see how this turns out...
    as for the statues, I think making the base a little bigger, and more of a head on perspective, rather than a slightly turned one, the statures themselves have a more head on look, and the base looks unnatural, other than that I love the look!
    *I would also make them 3 tiles wide, personally because it would make the text be in the middle, and seem more natural rather than being on 2 tiles*
    (I mean like having an edge on 1 tile, a full tile used for the middle, and an edge on the 3rd tile)

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Online now
    Looking good, I was pessimistic at first but the screenies are nice :) the base of that Onix statue needs looking at though!

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2013
    I really like this hack. It has a lot of potential to be a fun and interesting challenge. I hope to see it go further!

Back