• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dragonfree's umpteenth pixel art thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    So then you bumped to tell but not show? Wow its tell and not show not show and tell! Nah kiddin man dont worry i love your sprites and the site!(i used it so many damn times as a reference as to why dark-psycic-fighting cant be a trio that i cant count the times)
    Anyway i hope you do continue to sprite and eventually show. Have fun spriting!

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    Uh, wouldn't it be kind of... stupid of me to post without actually including the sprites I was talking about? You happened to look at the thread just as I was restarting my server (meaning images that are direct linked from it, such as those sprites, disappeared for a few minutes). You should have figured they just weren't showing up, waited and refreshed instead of randomly assuming I'd bump my thread just to ramble on about what I've been doing without showing anything.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Sorry sorry! I didnt think of that as the space wasnt even showing up like how the first post had space. Anyway wow nice sprites. I love how the pokemon evolved smoothly and not randomly like a pokemon say turtwig. Also i see nothing wrong with ghastly.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
    Years
    Oh wow!

These are incredibly well done, Dragonfree! Your sprites are wonderful, and I have to say the Ghastly is my favorite. -huggles Ghastly- Oh, and isn't that the Leta family on Pokemon Treasures? o.o -not assusing of stealing, just asking-

Dragonfree

Years
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, the Leta family is on Pokémon Treasures; I'm on the staff (although I haven't been very active there for a while). The sprites on there are my original R/S-style sprites of them. They weren't created for Pokémon Treasures, but I contributed them to the project fairly early on.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Since Amachi has assured me that I'm allowed to bump this, more stuff.

Basically, I went on a spriting spree to make D/P-style back sprites and animation frames for my Leta family of fake Pokémon, who already had D/P-style front sprites. The animations tend to be a bit lazier than the real game animations, whose frames tend to be completely redrawn instead of just moving body parts, but meh.

I actually edited a couple of pixels in the front frame 1 sprite (in the tail and one paw), but that's not really something anybody who hasn't been staring at the old sprite for hours would ever notice. I despise the shading on the back sprites, but I despise the shading style of the D/P back sprites in general.

My favorite front frame 1 sprite becomes my favorite frame 2 and back sprites. Letal always seems to turn out better than the others for some reason. When I looked at these again yesterday I noticed that the highlighting on the head looks a little skewed, but I haven't been able to try to fix it yet.

My least favorite set. The front frame 1 sprite is actually new, or semi-new, because the original "official" front frame 1 sprite was in a different pose; I always kind of disliked that because it looked too small, and I had made an alternate pose that made it look big and imposing, but it always looked like it was about to fall over and I could never really be bothered to fix it. Now that I was going to waste my time animating it, I thought I might as well grab that sprite and fix it instead of animating the small one, and I don't think I entirely succeeded because it still looks awkward; the animation is even worse because even though the mouth is sort of passable in my opinion, the left front leg that's down in frame 2 (and somewhat the other one) looks ridiculously stiff and I absolutely cannot figure out what in the world I can do with it to make it look less so (don't think I didn't try, although I think some of my attempts only made it worse). Help, please?

Then the back sprite is sort of meh-ish; it looks kind of silly when it's just the head compared to Letal showing part of the whole body, but that's what the D/P back sprites tend to do. The animation is pure laziness, as it is ridiculously hard to get the 'horns' looking right in perspective and to make it actually move its head would require stumbling upon another angle where I can get it right and that looks natural as movement from the original pose, so I just went "What the hell, let's just make it blink and open its mouth or something." I might make it do something more interesting later.

Oh, and I made this random scratch Gastly the other day. It also looks kind of wrong and I'm not sure why.

The D/P stuff is beautiful, the only issue i have is with the backsprites, but that's not because they're bad, i just dislike the style.

Gastly's only problem is it's right eye is too big.

Dragonfree

Years
    Hmm, good point. I might look into that Gastly again later.

Anyway, I fixed Letaligon! :o The front sprites, that is. That leg no longer looks like a stick with claws, and it even looks slightly less like it's falling over on the whole.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Also, Gastly's right (from our point of view) tooth is too far to the right.

TheLilacNinetales

The Lilac Ninetales
    Years
    Wow your sprites are astounding Dragonfree!
    I really like all of them, especially your Dragon trio. I agree Polaryu is little off... maybe because of the way his tail goes behind like that? Idk it looks a littel odd.
    And I really like the Gastly but I think placing it's eyes a little higher up it's face might improve it.
    PS - cPlease check your message box.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
    those are awesome! Nothing more I can say to you except...
    if you are not making a game, it'd be great for you to be my spriter!!
    ^^

Awesome!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back