• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

drinking age should be 18

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    i personally think the drinking age should be 18. the reason it isnt is that the goverment thinks that people who are 18 arent mature enough. but whats to say that people who are 21 are any better? i mean most people are drinking before they are 21 anyway. so why keep up this silly law

[discuss]

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    It is, join the military. ;)

Also the drinking age is 21 because before that people's brains are still going through an important phase of development, and alcohol messes with this development.

Last edited:

SIN1488

Years
    no even in the military you have to be 21 to drink. youll get arrested if your not

That's not what I've heard. The thing with that is, if you are going to be potentially throwing your life away for the country, then you dang well better be allowed to drink.

Edit: It's only on-base though.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Honestly, the reason why the drinking age is 21 is easy enough to find. Deal with it.

https://www.why21.org/history/
    https://www.why21.org/history/more.html
    https://www.associatedcontent.com/a...the_legal_drinking_age_in_the_pg2.html?cat=17

https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/86691/what_is_the_legal_drinking_age_in_the_pg2.html?cat=17 said:
    It was determined by several studies that a youth's brain is not fully developed until about 21 years of age, and that because of that, alcohol affects youth's brains differently than it does an adults. That magic number '21' kept coming up all over again, and eventually, the Act was passed requiring states to increase the legal drinking age to 21 or risk losing a percentage of funding for their highways. The Act gave them two years to do so. Some states did; some states didn't – but currently, all states have enacted some type of minimum drinking age legislation, with certain exceptions being allowed by at least 31 states for parents providing it, entering establishments (for example, in Texas, you must be 21 to drink, but many bars allow you to enter the establishment if you are 18, you just are not allowed to drink while there), and other exceptions. Of course, the 21 year old drinking age minimum requirement does make exceptions for religious ceremony and medical purposes too.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    The law's definition of maturity is not humanity's definition. Your body is not mature enough for alcohol until 21. There is no valid reason to decrease the age to 18. Only reasons not to, unless of course you plan on providing a valid reason I happen to have not thought of.

Deal with it.

This.

Limitations are good, as long as we can get away with having them. Hell, if the drinking age could be risen to 35 without causing an outrage/huge black market scenario it'd be good to have it there too. Water's good for you. <3

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    That's not what I've heard. The thing with that is, if you are going to be potentially throwing your life away for the country, then you dang well better be allowed to drink.

Edit: It's only on-base though.

i agree with you completly though. if your old enough to fight for your country you should be old enough to have a drink. but sadly in the eyes of the goverment your not :|

SIN1488

Years
    Only reasons not to, unless of course you plan on providing a valid reason I happen to have not thought of.

I am socially awkward, so I need prescription alcohol to loosen me up. :P

No but really, I am sure about this "drinking underage on-base if you are part of the military" thing, so I will go find evidence. BRB......

Edit: Nevermind..... That's weird though, and I know people who have anyway, lol.

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    The law's definition of maturity is not humanity's definition. Your body is not mature enough for alcohol until 21. There is no valid reason to decrease the age to 18. Only reasons not to, unless of course you plan on providing a valid reason I happen to have not thought of.

This.

Limitations are good, as long as we can get away with having them. Hell, if the drinking age could be risen to 35 without causing an outrage/huge black market scenario it'd be good to have it there too. Water's good for you. <3

you do know 50 years or so ago drinking age was 18 right?

Years
    Actually, that was merely 35 years ago most recently, not 50. (b'-')b

It was 18 in most states before it was pulled back because the feds threatened to pull highway funding if a state didn't comply. This was tied into a greater safety issue at the time because a disproportionate percentage of fatal accidents at the time involved teenagers who opted to get trashed and then try to drive home on their own.

Frankly, I don't care what the drinking age is, though one could argue that it could be 18 to drink, but still have it illegal for 18 year olds to drive with any alcohol in their system, though some states, like Wisconsin, have some loophole laws in place similar to that already.

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Actually, that was merely 35 years ago most recently, not 50. (b'-')b

It was 18 in most states before it was pulled back because the feds threatened to pull highway funding if a state didn't comply. This was tied into a greater safety issue at the time because a disproportionate percentage of fatal accidents at the time involved teenagers who opted to get trashed and then try to drive home on their own.

Frankly, I don't care what the drinking age is, though one could argue that it could be 18 to drink, but still have it illegal for 18 year olds to drive with any alcohol in their system, though some states, like Wisconsin, have some loophole laws in place similar to that already.

well thats just bs. i mean people over 21 can get trashed and drive drunk too. :|

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Um... the drinking age is 18 in Australia and those who I know drink usually do it at their own homes and in the news I don't hear of anything bad that much (except when it comes to driving), usually most of the fights with drunk people on the news etc is with people over 21 anyway so...

Personally, I don't really care. I could go buy alcohol whenever I wanted, but I don't (well technically I still need to get a proof of age card) because I'm not interested in drinking, so yeah. :)

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Um... the drinking age is 18 in Australia and those who I know drink usually do it at their own homes and in the news I don't hear of anything bad that much (except when it comes to driving), usually most of the fights with drunk people on the news etc is with people over 21 anyway so...

Personally, I don't really care. I could go buy alcohol whenever I wanted, but I don't (well technically I still need to get a proof of age card) because I'm not interested in drinking, so yeah. :)

well arent you lucky.

but here in the us, their stupid and say if your under 21 your irresponsible

Years
    well thats just bs. i mean people over 21 can get trashed and drive drunk too. :|

But the proof was in the statistics of the time. Driving experience was a big factor in the crashes, in addition to being trashed, which is one reason why it was disproportionately those under 21 who were involved in fatal alcohol-related crashes.

If you don't believe that experience makes a difference when driving, try comparing the driving of a friend who's been driving for three years to an older relative of yours who's been driving for 15+ years. There's a noticeable difference. I even see this with my driving and my parents' driving still, and I've been driving for nearly 5 years. And comparing my driving to some of my cousins who've been driving for even just a year less than me I see a noticeable difference at times.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    If you want the drinking age to be 18 so bad...

Move to Mexico.

You'll have crappy jobs, college, and crappier life, but hey, at least you can risk your life 2 years earlier!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Drinking age doesn't matter to me because I choose not to drink. They could raise the age to 88 and I still wouldn't care. But keeping at an age where the brain is (supposedly) fully developed is a smart move.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    Being a university student. I think it would save the cops and government a whole lot of hassle and money to just drop the drinking age back to 18, at least for like University campus's.

Also, in Wisconsin, kids under 21 can't drive with any alcohol period, it's still underage consumption. However, we can drink under 21 as long as we are with our parents in the restaurant and our parents are okay with it. Likewise we can drink in our own homes so long as our parents approve. The minute we step out into public property, we could be slapped with an underage consumption.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    If the legal drinking age were lowered to 18, then auto insurance rates for young drivers would shoot through the roof.

I agree that exceptions could be made for 18-20 year olds who are on private property. What people decide to do in the privacy of their own homes is their own business. It's when people are out in public is when it needs to be regulated for safety concerns.

Years
    Also, in Wisconsin, kids under 21 can't drive with any alcohol period, it's still underage consumption. However, we can drink under 21 as long as we are with our parents in the restaurant and our parents are okay with it. Likewise we can drink in our own homes so long as our parents approve. The minute we step out into public property, we could be slapped with an underage consumption.

That's the loophole law I was talking about. Doesn't that law go as low as 12 in those situations?

Back