• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS graphics VS GBA graphics? Also, rate my pics!

Vote for the statements that you agree with:

• DS graphics is worse than GBA graphics in every single way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    And by this topic title, I mean that I think GBA had a lot of pluspoint too in terms of graphics compared to the DS.

While most people may disagree with me, I suggest you to take a look at the DS graphics of D/P/Pt, and compare it with the GBA graphics of R/S/E and FR/LG.
    Don't you think that, while the DS offers a more nicer 3D feel which was previously absent in GBA, does it not take away the smoothness of everything that GBA had?
    The DS graphics is pretty blocky, i.e. not smooth, so how can we say that it has better graphics than the GBA?

I'm worried if Heart Gold & Soul Silver will hold that beauty in the DS graphics with the blockiness.

Last edited:

Shirona

[span="font-size: 18px; font-family: Abril Fatface
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2019
    Not even you could imagine the way GameFreak has. There's other ways I could criticise those maps, but I won't bother. I'll admit that the GBA graphics (especially from FireRed and LeafGreen) look a lot more polished than Diamond and Pearl's, but even towns like Hearthome City in those games have a lot of nice things from being shown in 3D.

Shirona

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2019
    It's pretty clear that they're borrowing off tiles right from the game you made them in. They're also unimaginative compared to, let's say, what GameFreak's come up with just now.

By the way, if this game was made in the 3rd generation, they'd probably not have the wind turbines, but they sure would have a lot more ideals in designing the areas.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Of course they will be "unimaginative" -cause I'm not trying to impress you all with a remake of my own idea.
    I'm trying to make it exactly like the old thing, with no new detail - just new graphics taken from the 3rd gen.
    Why would I make my own tiles when I can take these?

Shirona

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2019
    True, but you're also trying to apply 3rd generation ideas to an outdated mapping engine too.

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2010
    I loved all the 3rd gen games but for the hoenn region characters.etc not for the graphics
    The only thing about the graphics that I love is that the 3rd gen was the birth of pokemon hacking! it does look nicer though
    If only they can invent an esier way to hack 4th gen games
    I can only Imagine what it would be like if the had a R/S/E remake right now
    But by the time that happens there would be a 5th gen and would have nicer graphics

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • This thread doesn't really suit the HG/SS forum... there are examples of what Johto places might look like in 3rd gen graphics (which aren't easy to compare as such to what we've seen of HG/SS given the lack of many screenshots, tbh), but the topic is really on what people think on 4th gen graphics compared to 3rd gen graphics. Hence, moved to here as it seems the best place for it...

Might be easier to compare these pictures as well if you had 4th gen pictures, but ah well? Seeing as 3rd gen graphics were kinda a step up from GBC's graphics, obviously...

Last edited:

pokefandavid

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I think your versions of New Bark and Cherry Grove look alot better than the original ones. I also like that fisherman you added in the last one

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I think your versions of New Bark and Cherry Grove look alot better than the original ones. I also like that fisherman you added in the last one
    I believe the fisherman has been in GSC as well, though? I do recall a Mystic Water item (or whatever it's called) given to you there, at any rate...

Evildarkkai

I didn't get a chance...
    Years
  • I Really Think They've got their work cut out for them. Not only does the Gba graphics look better (And suits the game), The DS screens Look pretty poor, and I personally think that many of us on this forum could do a lot better than GameFreak has on the Graphics. The DS version should:
    1. Keep The Graphics Simple, And Sort Of Old, to Portray That This is Indeed A Remake.

2. Dont use d/p/p "Modern" tiles in the game. Come on people, this is supposed to look Second Gen

I Personally think that they should have made a GBA remake of this, before Diamon/Pearl came out, because i reckon theyre going to make a complete mess of the graphics in these games.

Years
  • I like the DS graphics better than the GBA's. It was kinda wierd to see the 3D buildings at first though.

In terms of HGSS, I think the DS graphics will do it good, like how the GBA looked nice in FRLG. Also its kinda cool how they are adding slanted paths in the game, and that couldnt be done with the GBA's graphics.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Well, I prefer GBA sprites slightly to DS sprites, only because the DS sprites had such big heads. >_> However, I love the DS tiles much more than GBA tiles. :P So, I'm kinda torn, though how can you not love to see Johto in 3D?!? :O

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Sorry, but, since this thread is about the games, I'd better move it to General Pokémon Gaming ^^;

~Moved

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2022
    I definitely prefer DS graphics, by a long shot. DPPt's graphics ran smoothly for the most part and looked great, hardly blocky.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Moderators, could you please close this topic.
    I ask to do so as it has been moved two times already, the viewers of this topic are not getting the topic, and the point of this topic is no longer understood.

Also, for copyright reasons, I have to delete the pics I provided earlier.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    I do have to agree with Feelings, I think the DS graphics were so smooth and beautiful

Do you mean to say the GBA graphics?
    Otherwise, you're actually not agreeing with me, since I said the opposite.

Btw, where have the moderators been lately? I thought I told that I want this topic to be closed?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back