• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS or DSi. which is better?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I like the DSi personally, but that's mostly because it's slimmer than the DS. While I too mourn for the loss of the GBA port in the DSi (especially because of the number of Pokemon games that I have on the GBA), I also understand Nintendo's reason for doing so (which is to look forward towards the future, and not back). A simple work-around for the loss of the GBA port on the DSi (for Pokemon games that is), is to use the Global Trade Centre. While not perfect, it pretty much does the same... allows you to get Pokemon that normally wouldn't be available in any one game.

Years
    The DSi, just for the facts it has improved graphics, wifi capabilities, longer battery life, etc. I like the camera and the ability to take pictures, but I do really miss being able to play my GBA games though.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    I think it's a matter of opinion. The DSi seems to appeal to more casual users who like to fool around with the camera, but I prefer my crimson-and-black DS Lite. I still do a lot of gaming with my old 3rd gen. games, and it'd be a big inconvenience to be without the GBA port. The camera would be amusing for all of an hour before I regretted the purchase.

But when B/W comes out, I may change my mind. I have a lot of friends who go to school in different states, so it would be fun to talk to them with the LiveCaster feature. Though there's always webcams for that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    I like DS better.
    The camera in DSi is useless, and with DS you can play GBA games.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I think I'll say DS Lite for now. I lug around my DS for DS games and for GBA games. I'm OCD about my handhelds, and when I go on trips, I usually want to take every portable console I can, so I have my DS and SP, that way it covers all four generations of handheld gaming. If I had a DSi, I'd have to carry all three.

I'd like a DSi, but at the same time, with the 3DS on the way, I think I'll be skipping out on the DSi. So, like I said, my vote goes to the DS.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    If your going to get a Dsi get the DsiXL or don't get one at all. Its well worth the money. I love playing on a large screen, and of course you can browse the web, buy games, flipnotes, pictures, etc.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Even though I currently use a DSi, I'm going with the DS because I still have the GBA Pokemon games. I have both versions of the DS, and I worked out a solution: use the DS for GBA games and the DSi for the DS games.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    I recently chose a DS Lite due to still being able to play GBA games. Who knows, I might buy Pokemon Emerald or something.

The camera doesn't interest me, I have a phone for that.

I feel the same way and i am trying to figure out why put a cam on the dsi.

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
    I feel the same way and i am trying to figure out why put a cam on the dsi.

No doubt for the initial excitement of "Oh look, it has a camera, awesome!" which may soon go away. Also I think there is/will be game that use the camera.

I'm holding out until the 3DS. That looks promising, I think I'm mainly interested for the Ocarina of Time remake. Plus... a 3D Pokemon adventure? Hell yeah!

Gentlemen

Let's fight like...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2010
    The DSi, just for the facts it has improved graphics, wifi capabilities, longer battery life, etc. I like the camera and the ability to take pictures, but I do really miss being able to play my GBA games though.
    It doesn't have improved graphics...higher brightness (compared to the PHAT ds) But just that.
    If your going to get a Dsi get the DsiXL or don't get one at all. Its well worth the money. I love playing on a large screen, and of course you can browse the web, buy games, flipnotes, pictures, etc.
    I'm waiting for the 3DS...or the 3DS slim or the 3DS FAT American version love you long time...well srsly you get what I am saying. I have the phat and slim so...yeah waiting for the 3DS slim. :D

Years
    It's really a matter of what you want in the console. The DSi has the cameras, as mentioned, but it also has DSiWare, in addition to being able to play DSi exclusive games (although there are very few). Hardware-wise, the case is less easily scratched or scuffed, the buttons are more tactile, and the trigger buttons are recessed. The screens are also larger, brighter, and have slightly better viewing angles.

The DS lite has the GBA slot, as already mentioned. It also has a true volume slider, and doesn't rely on a volume rocker to digitally increase the volume. The face buttons are also more recessed, although they aren't as tactile. The trigger buttons are also flush with the case, which can make them hard to press in certain areas. The case is more easily scratched and scuffed, because of its glossy coating, but it's also much more durable.

Really, it's a matter of what you're looking for in your handheld. I have both, but I end up using my DSi more and I carry around my GameBoy Advance SP incase I ever want to play GBA games.

Esmas

General
    Years
    I really have no preference. The DSi is better for playing DS games, while the DS is better for playing GBA games. I only have a DSi because my Lite broke, and the graphics on the DSi are quite improved from its earlier edition, it's slimmer (though that doesn't make much of a difference), and I also like the better backlight. And I've actually used the camera and the sound a lot.

If you don't have many GBA games worth playing, then I'd recommend a DSi...

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    The only downside to the ds lite is how fragile it is. They break VERY easily. Every added feature in the DSi, including the internet is useless imo. (There's no way you could use the internet on there for any practical use, it just doesn't work well enough.) Taking away the ability to play GBA games is a huge issue for me. So, I'm going to say DS.

Back