• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS vs. PSP

Well, which one?

• Total voters

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    Well, here ya have it. A comparison of the DS and PSP, sent to me by a person who wishes to remain anonymous. It's the same game, Ridge Racer, on both consoles.

DS vs. PSP

After seeing this, which one are you getting?

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    DS gfx are not everything you know i would still like it if they were 2d ^_^ and i don't play those kind of games much so meh!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    those clearly aren't the same games. Just look at the positioning of guages and stuff. Most games leave that kind of stuff in the same place even when they cross console boundaries.

This particular debate has become kinda heated in the past, i'll leave it open for now, but at the first sign of flames, this'll get closed.

Last edited:

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    Actually, they are the same game. When games cross platforms, they tend to look different. Take the Harry Potter games, for example. But anyway, the point of this is to show the difference in graphics between the two consoles.

As for me, I'll probably be getting the PSP, if they end up porting DS emulation onto it. Otherwise, I'll probably get the DS.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    DS for sure casue it can play gba games ^_^ i love my 2d games eh psp meh

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    Those screens are biased towards the PSP. They show the PSP's graphical superiority but they haven't shown the DS's twin screens or touch sensitive capabilities. I'll be getting the DS. I already have a PS2 and I aint paying a shedload of money for a smaller,less capable version of it.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    although that pictures looks low quaility needs to be saved in a better format o.O

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    a1337a said:
    You know what's on the second screen? a map of the track, which I think racing games stopped using circa 1998. And who'd wanna use a touchscreen to drive a car? :P
    I see no bias, just one console that seems more equiped to handle tomorrow, than the other.
    Yes but this is a thread comparing the consoles, not how one game plays on both consoles. Look at games like Metroid Prime: First Hunt and how that uses the touch screen. Or how Madden uses both screens. It's unfair to showcase the same game on both consoles because it only shows the PSP's graphic advantage and not any of the DS's features.

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
    The way I see it, there's little to differentiate the PSP from the PS2 apart from the fact that one's portable. So what exactly is the point? I mean, with the GBA developers were forced to utilise the hardware that was available to them, which allowed for more original versions of current home console games to come about (Kingdom Hearts: CoM?). With the PSP that will be no more. Devil May Cry PSP will be your run-of-the-mill DMC game, etc etc. The only genre that I see benefiting from the huge leap is sports games. I can't wait to play Pro Evolution Soccer on Sony's handheld.

The PSP skips an entire generation - namely, the DS. Imagine if that would've happened before the GBA's launch, and the entire 16-bit handheld era had been ignored? No Minish Cap, Metroid Fusion, Tactics Advance, Mario ports... Likewise, should the DS be crushed by the PSP (unlikely. Thank the lord for Pokemon and their console-selling ways) we'll see no more 64-bit handheld games, possible Ocarina of Time/Smash Brothers/Mario Tennis/whatever ports or remakes. I just think Sony's giant leap to modern-day visuals is a shame for those of us who enjoy the nostalgia of playing games that are either remade classics, or at the very least in the same style as them.

The GBA is a portal back to the days of the SNES. With the PSP, the future of handhelds is exactly the same as the future of home consoles. Where's the fun in that?

(For the record, I'll be getting both)

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    The way I see it, there's little to differentiate the PSP from the PS2 apart from the fact that one's portable. So what exactly is the point?
    Unfortunately the PSP is what it was designed to be, a portable Playstation. Which is why I hate Sony so much. They should have put a lot of thought into what they wanted from their first handheld console. Like you said, they skipped a generation. Now instead of buying old psone classics that we haven't played for years, we'll be making the choice whether to play a game on a full screen TV or on a portable screen. I know which one I'd pick.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    *hugs PSP*

Lucifer said:
    The GBA is a portal back to the days of the SNES. With the PSP, the future of handhelds is exactly the same as the future of home consoles. Where's the fun in that?

(For the record, I'll be getting both)
    Actually, I don't see the fun in getting 64-bit games that have diminished from my memories lord knows how long ago.
    I can definetly see your point, but it's still not my style.

And I know that you didn't really mean exactly when you said it, but the games won't be exactly the same. For example, FFVII:CC will only be for PSP, and not PS2 XD
    I won't list another example, because that alone is good enough reason for me to get PSP :P

And for the record, I'll be getting DS just for FFIII and the Pokemon games.

Burne Starcofski

The RPG Wanderer & Ghost
    Years
    He's right, this is only shots of ONE game. It could be the other way around, for instance:

When Need For Speed: Underhround 2 comes out for both, on the PSP it may look better, but the DS would offer more options on the Paint jobs, (Like custome drawing and/or placing vinyl and paint.)

I agree that while the PSP looks better on the PSP, you have to figure in that the DS needed some space for the Double Screen Coordination.

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
    Brittany said:
    Actually, I don't see the fun in getting 64-bit games that have diminished from my memories lord knows how long ago.
    I can definetly see your point, but it's still not my style.

Like phoenix316 said above, that list kinda includes 32-bit PSOne games as well. Plus they'd be more polished, of course. Just like the GBA (in most cases) improved upon the general style used for SNES games. The Minish Cap's a good example of this. If that game'd been released for the SNES 10 years ago it'd have blown peoples' minds (slight exaggeration maybe, but y'know what I mean). I can imagine the same thing will happen for DS-developed games (just look at Mario 64 DS. Mario is far more detailed than he was in his blocky N64 appearance).

Oh and of course, the screen will be clearer. I've always had problems with my N64 putting out a fuzzy picture, which is partly why I don't play it anymore.

I know FFVII:CC will be a PSP-exclusive, but basically there's no real reason why it can't be launched on the PS2. That's sort of what I mean - there's no real difference between the two apart from the fact that one can be played on the move.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Lucifer said:
    Like phoenix316 said above, that list kinda includes 32-bit PSOne games as well. Plus they'd be more polished, of course. Just like the GBA (in most cases) improved upon the general style used for SNES games. The Minish Cap's a good example of this. If that game'd been released for the SNES 10 years ago it'd have blown peoples' minds (slight exaggeration maybe, but y'know what I mean). I can imagine the same thing will happen for DS-developed games (just look at Mario 64 DS. Mario is far more detailed than he was in his blocky N64 appearance).

Oh and of course, the screen will be clearer. I've always had problems with my N64 putting out a fuzzy picture, which is partly why I don't play it anymore.

I know FFVII:CC will be a PSP-exclusive, but basically there's no real reason why it can't be launched on the PS2. That's sort of what I mean - there's no real difference between the two apart from the fact that one can be played on the move.
    Hmm, I can't really imagine our favorite PSOne games getting ported to DS. I mean, do you really want 6-cartridge DS games?
    I think that DS will probably stick to N64 games far more than they would to PS1 games XD
    I'm not putting down n64 games at all though, so please don't misunderstand me. It's just that... well, they're smaller than PS1 games. XD

Plus, don't you think PSOne games have a greater chance of getting ported to PSP?

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
    Not really. I'd expect Sony want developers to maximize the PSP's graphical potential. So unless it were vastly updated, I don't expect to see the fabled Final Fantasy VII remake alot of people are speculating over any time soon.

Not all PSOne games would be beyond the DS. The likes of Resident Evil and Tony Hawk's were released for the N64 after all. I don't know all the ins and outs of consoles, but if games like Perfect Dark and Ocarina of Time squeezed onto the N64 then I don't see why some PSOne titles couldn't get a DS make-over.

Not that I'd want any, of course. With the exception of the Final Fantasy series and a couple of others I hated the PSOne. XD

Back