• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Dual-Type Moves

Years
  • Dual-Type Moves

In X and Y, the first ever dual-type move was released. The signature move of Hawlucha, Flying Press, hits for both Fighting type and Flying type damage, meaning if it attacks a Snover with this attack, it would be 4x super effective. Interestingly enough, Hawlucha is the only Pokemon able to learn such a move. I'm curious, do you you guys think this will be expanded upon in ORAS? Will old moves receive a new double typing?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I doubt they will as it should already have been done in XY. It's one thing to add things like Megas, it's another to change move mechanics in such a huge way in the middle of the generation.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I doubt they'll change up too much in terms of moves between ORAS and XY, but I definitely think that it's a cool idea that they should expand upon in future generations.

Years
  • I wouldn't be overly surprised if egg move and level up lists in ORAS had some differences versus those of XY. Much like the new egg moves HGSS brought to gen 4.

Freeze Dry Kyogre/Mudkip/Piplup please.

Years
  • I wouldn't be overly surprised if egg move and level up lists in ORAS had some differences versus those of XY. Much like the new egg moves HGSS brought to gen 4.

Freeze Dry Kyogre/Mudkip/Piplup please.

Now egg moves being added is definitely a possibility. Also additions to movesets would be expected as they usually happen to some extent. I can see Regice being given freeze dry as a move.

I think that in the future the lati's signature moves should be part Fairy type as well.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    I guess it all depends on how they wish to do things. If they implement more dual type moves that would mean change some of the battle mechanics and try to make it compatible with the other games. Either, they will add more dual type moves and make a downloadable patch for XY to update, or they will just keep things the same and add more dual type moves in a future generation. ( I know that a downloadable update for a pokemon game sounds unusual so please don´t attack me).
    now going back to the subject, more dual type moves would create more options in competitive battling and maybe make them a Little more interesting.

Years
  • I just hope that they will minimize the number of moves they make dual type should they change any. It'll be going overboard if all the elemental punches became dual type Fighting/ element.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    ... I LIKE HOW I WAS NOT EVEN SLIGHTLY AWARE WE HAVE A DUAL-TYPE MOVE?

Wow, go me. And I call myself a Pokemon fan. :D;
    To be fair, I've never used Hawlucha. Anyway!

I don't think they'll really do any other dual-type moves until either the next Gen 6 game(s) or the Gen 7 games. Because I personally feel that dual-type moves are too huge of a change/update to introduce in a remake. It will probably end up being developed on further in future games instead of ORAS. Remakes don't really introduce any massive changes to the series itself, as that's usually saved for the newer regions.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I'm all in to Dual-type moves but I think it would be better to retcon the old moves into Dual-type moves instead of adding more during the course of Gen 6.

Years
  • It would definitely be interesting, but this is the type of thing they do at the beginning of a new Gen, not with remakes. I'm expecting things to stay more or less the same as XY, mechanic-wise.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    No.

And that's purely because the game can not simply skip about introducing new moves (with altered mechanics, too) in the middle of a generation, since we want ORAS as linkable to X&Y as possible. Seriously, though, I don't see any point of double typed moves. It would needlessly complicate a lot of in-game calculations for the player.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • The Starter WILL have some changes to their level up moves... like Fire Red giving Charmander metal Claw. Their lists need a bit of polish.

As for Dual-Type attacks... they arn't good for the game. To confusing. Freeze-Dry However is awesome, because it adds something to the attack without being too hard to understand. More of than please. (but only a little)

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    If ever they add more of these moves, I will just be confused because it's just really complex. I'd like to see Muddy Water functioning both as ground and water ... I wonder how that will turn out.

Years
  • I would love to see more dual type moves. I think it is a very cool idea and adds a little something to the metagame. With that being said, I certainly hope that any possible dual type moves added in the future will not stack super-effectiveness (i.e. Fire/Fighting type dual move that does 4x damage to steel types). Other than that, I'm all for it.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • You know, in the dual-type thread in XY, I said no way because it would be too confusing, but now that I think about it if we just had a couple like this it would be pretty interesting. But I don't really want a ton of dual-type moves running around, I would most definitely get confused then, aha.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • I actually dislike this idea; it would ruin any "balance" (using this term sparingly) in the metagame. Dual-type moves would be able to knock everything weak to them out without any problems. Everything without effective dual-typed moves would be outclassed and obselete in favor of the unbeatable dual-type move Pokemon.

We can add a couple, but any more will have a catastrophic effect on competitive play.
    Just think: 2x become 4x weaknesses and 4x become 8x. How is anything going to survive a hit from one of those?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Flying Press makes sense--as a dual-type attack, and as for fitting with Hawlucha, who is just as much Fighting as it is Flying. So in that case, I will accept it.

But I hope we never see any more dual-type attacks ever again. It makes the game too complex and as such I feel it is just as unnecessary as Pokémon with three types.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Flying Press makes sense--as a dual-type attack, and as for fitting with Hawlucha, who is just as much Fighting as it is Flying. So in that case, I will accept it.

But I hope we never see any more dual-type attacks ever again. It makes the game too complex and as such I feel it is just as unnecessary as Pokémon with three types.

Yeah I kinda agree with you, making the games more complex as it is, Soon, we will be seeing triple type Pokemon and hope that won't happen. Ever. Haha :)

Back