• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dual-typed Moves

Dual-typed moves, a good idea??

• Yes - gimme more!!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Only as Signature Moves!

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
  • When Pokemon X/Y introduced Hawlucha's move Flying Press, i was baffled to see it was considered a move with 2 types.
    What is your opinion on this new concept? Do you think there will be more moves like this in the future? Do you consider them a good addition or too OP?
    If you could make your own dual-typed move, what would it be?

Share ideas and discuss ~

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I think it's a cool idea and I'd definitely like to see more, but only in limited number, and only as signature moves. If there were too many of them and they had wide distribution the game would get way too confusing and unbalanced.

Years
  • I don't think dual typed moves should be a regular occurrence, because as Sopheria said it could get confusing.

This is also more down to me than anything else, but I think these dual typed moves are more made to be a novelty, allowing more access to these dual typed moves would kill it, but again, that's just me.

Years
  • I personally love the concept and want to see more. Flying press made me use a hawlucha and it quickly became one of my favorites.
    I want to see a fire/electric move implemented in a future game. I have always wanted to see that combo as a pokemon too.
    Water/grass moves would be neat too. Name the move with something about swamps in the title.

I do agree with Aeroblast, that they should be very limited though.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I'd like to see more dual-typed moves. I don't mind whether they're signature moves or not, although I guess limited distribution might help (unsure if my tune will change about that "limited distribution" idea). If any do turn up to be signature moves, they had better be one of the most competitively viable moves in that particular Pokemon's movepool; otherwise, I feel like the implementation would seem like a wasted opportunity.

The existent move Muddy Water seems like it would work well as a Water-type/Ground-type move, in my opinion, as it mixes the substances of soil and water...

Also, hopefully in a future generation, the move menus have enough space to somehow display both types that a dual-typed move utilizes (for example, the "move type" icon of the move Flying Press would feature both the Fighting-type icon and the Flying-type icon, as opposed to just being listed solely with a Fighting-type icon, with the move description being relegated to explain its dual-typed nature).

On a side-note, if I recall correctly, there was a rumored dual-type Electric/Grass move (in one of the more major "circulated XY rumor lists") alongside Flying Press during XY's pre-release era. However, while Flying Press turned out to actually exist, currently the other "Electric/Grass" move does not (either being outright fake, or being an unknown downloadable content/event-exclusive move). Does anyone remember the name and/or concept of the rumored "Electric/Grass" move, if it does/did exist..?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Dual-type move should only be learn by limited amount of pokemon and not entirely every species capable of learning dual-type moves. and I feel Jirachi's doom desire should be Steel/Psychic instead of STEEL.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Time to give my own opinion as well: I do like the idea, but i hope its not over-used in the future. I think they did a good job by releasing only Flying Press as a dual-typed move, exposing as to this new concept, but not making a big thing out of it. These moves should be pretty much restricted to signature moves imo, which would allow them to stay "special" and would make maybe some otherwise ok Pokemon a better choice.
    Also, i think Muddy Water is definitely a good canditate for a dual-typed move

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I thought flying press was going to be a fighting/flying move. I think that would be an interesting experiment, at least. You know, to have one move like this and see how it goes.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    it is an awesome idea, and i wouldn't mind to have more moves like it. that said, like a lot of the people here, i don't want to have an overflow of them. the only exception to that would be to make it so they don't do much damage (like 50 or something) so they are not way over powered.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Hawlucha's Flying Press is apparently a dual-type attack. which, if you ask me, is pretty cool. I honestly wouldn't mind if there were more moves like this, but they should definitely keep them to a limit. I mean, moves with two typing are super-effective against a lot more Pokémon than those that have only one, which makes them sort of overpowered. Due to that, Pokémon that have access to these moves would wind up having more superiority, and people would be likely to pick them over others when battling. It's not exactly a bad thing, but... y'know. d:

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Pokemon X and Y introduced Hawlucha, a luchador bird Pokemon with a move called Flying Press. While Flying Press is classified as a Fighting type move, it also does Flying type damage to the opponent. So making it the first move to do dual-type damage.

If this indicates anything, we could be seeing dual-type moves in a future generation. What do you think about this? Would you like to see dual-type moves? How would they affect the gameplay?

Last edited:

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
  • I think it would make type advantages a little less important. I mean, if you think about it, if more moves were like flying press then type advantages will become less important because they would have a lot more countering options in one move.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I think it would also make the type advantages more complicated too imo. You'll have to consider if a dual type move would have an effect with some Pokemon that have a dual-type. Like an Electric/Fire attack wouldn't work well on a Rock/Ground Pokemon. I like how Flying Press works though so I wouldn't mind more moves like it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I really don't think dual-type moves should exist. The system's pretty much fine now, and implementing that would do nothing but complicate things. Why fix something that isn't broken? :P

Back