• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dumbledore is WHAT?

Cosmic Tyrant

Ruler of the Cosmos
    Years
    That's right. It's been reported on the news that while autographing her last Harry Potter book, J.K. Rowling let out a big secret. When one of the fans asked about Dumbledore's love life, J.K. Rowling replied tht she always thought of Dumbledore as being gay. Now seriously, who would have ever seen that one coming? This controversial news has already sparked a few debates, and it's sure to bring a few more, but one things for sure: This can only help the Harry Potter series become even bigger.

Discuss.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2007
    He is gay. I heard that from my radio, yesterday morning. J.K pupu~ told her audience that Dumbledore was gay. And then, there was a huge silence... :o Seriously, I'm not into the Harry Potter books/movies/games. So it doesn't affect me, really. :l

Craig²

H a p p y☆
    Years
    Anything for publicity. XD

Despite Dumbeldore's sexual orientation, it doesn't really change the books. Though I think it's an interesting twist and adds to Dumbeldore's character. =D

However...There have been some negative repercussions to this, I've heard. Since the news came out, lifeless idiots with nothing better to do began massive book burnings...How stupid is that?!? XD

Cosmic Tyrant

Ruler of the Cosmos
    Years
    Anything for publicity. XD

Despite Dumbeldore's sexual orientation, it doesn't really change the books. Though I think it's an interesting twist and adds to Dumbeldore's character. =D

However...There have been some negative repercussions to this, I've heard. Since the news came out, lifeless idiots with nothing better to do began massive book burnings...How stupid is that?!? XD

I agree. Although truth be told that I never really liked the Harry Potter series, I think it's sheer genuis that J.K. designed that personality on Dumbledore. Some people just don't know how to take stuff like that...

(Post # 400! Woot!)

Years
    • MA
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    This is seriously gonna piss off some hardcore christains. A gay wizard? I imagine some book burnings happening in the near future <_<

xD This doesn't bother me, and I found this out a few days ago..I was never really a fan of the books, but dumbledore's sex-life wouldn't really contribute that much to the story. Either way, it's okay. I still think she might have just made that up on the spot for attention, though >.>

But it's still her books, and ideas. She can do whatever the hell she wants with her characters, even if she decides to make them gay..after the series already ande anyways xD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Entertainment discussion goes in Other Entertainment. I'll move it. :P

Anyway, I was a little surprised to hear this, only because I thought I remembered hearing that Rowling doesn't like what fanfic authors do to her characters (I'm thinking like, the Snape/Harry here), yet then she turns right around and has canon gay? Well, I guess not really canon because it was never said in the books and she says she only "thought of him as" gay. :\

I just know a lot of people are happy about this. I actually know a few Dumbledore/Grindelwald shippers and, well, they're ecstatic now. XD;

Bishopk

meow :)
    Years
    • CO
    • Seen Feb 16, 2018
    He can be whatever he wants (oh wait, he's dead).

Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    This would be the greatest news ever if it had actually been apparent in the last book or something. I guess it's still kinda cool, though.

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    This really came as a surprise to me. I have thought it over quite a few times and I really can't think of any mention that he was even remotely gay, or even slightly feminine. I guess in the long run it dosen't affect the story in any way but it does give me a slightly different view of Dumbledore. I would hate to be the actor that plays him in the movies, he's gotta be thinkin' "WTF, how did I not know this."

But for all we know Rowling could of come up with this even after she had written the books.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    Jorah said:
    Actually, it makes the whole Dumbledore/Grindalwald thing make more sense

^ I was thinking the same thing :-D I think it's cool that Dumbledore is gay :3 He can be a role model for gay people [even though he doesn't really exsist x3]

When I told my friend about it, she said, "Dumbledore is too good to be gay." I flipped on her :|

Rainfall

~Solitude
    Years
    I know. This made my dad absolutely furious when we heard it on the news. He's like 'IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK!! YOU DON'T MAKE PEOPLE GAY IN A CHILDRENS BOOK!!' and that was that. >_>

Ichigo Flash

Box-kun
    Years
    Hehe I think it was a good move, adds a twist to his character I guess in a funny way.

I heard people applauded when she said it lol

And yeah it does kinda bridge the Grindelwald situation

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    lol, it's a dumb move kind of, but more a hilarious move, on her part.

The fundies are going to have a party with this one.

All these years of "HARRY POTTER IS SATANIC HARRY IS SATAN", and now she's got a gay character, and the fundies are gonna try and make a big fuss about it and start boycotting books again.

At least the last book is done with. If not, she'd be S.O.L.

Maybe she just wanted to mess with some more fundies' heads on the way out.

I'm really glad the gay character was a cool one, though. If one of Draco's cronies had been gay...blah, I might have had to join the fundies at the book burn. ;[

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I haven't read the last book yet, but I don't really care if he's gay.. :\ It's an interesting twist for a character, and J.K. Rowling had a lot of guts to think that, considering there's many people out there who despise gay people.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    I haven't read the last book yet, but I don't really care if he's gay.. :\ It's an interesting twist for a character, and J.K. Rowling had a lot of guts to think that, considering there's many people out there who despise gay people.

There are many people who dispise witch craft as well and keep badmouthing the book due to that. But yeah J.K is pretty brave

Years
    I know. This made my dad absolutely furious when we heard it on the news. He's like 'IT'S A CHILDRENS BOOK!! YOU DON'T MAKE PEOPLE GAY IN A CHILDRENS BOOK!!' and that was that. >_>

The Harry Potter series are not children's books.

Dumbledore is homosexual. Now what's the big deal?

HP book burn? We should be burning other books in my opinion.

Last edited:

Shadow_Yue

SO I HERD U LIEK NARUTO?
    Years
    Burning books is stupid just for the character being gay. Ahem, anyway I thought it was hilarious. I mean did you SEE the wave of fanfiction coming in after that? I did. Everyone I know is laughing about it and we'll probably be laughing for an entire week. We pretty much thought that J.K was messing with her fans with that one, and right now I know she's laughing at the chaos brought by announcing a characters sexual orientation too.

(It makes me wonder what would happen if Masashi Kishmoto announced that Kakashi was gay or something. )

Back