• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Duplicate or new?

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    Hi guys,

About 10-15 years ago I was lucky enough to get hold of a full set of the original base set. I have kept it since (I am now 35 years old). I dont collect at all anymore but my son is. My question is this--the original base set has a total of 102 cards. My son is also collecting a set that has 102 cards and are identical to the set that I collected all those years ago! Surely this means that the fact I have a set from all those years ago means nothing because you can still collect the same cards today? Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Spooner.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for your reply. So the people who make the cards keep duplicating the same sets 10's of years later? Seems a bit of a scam when people work so hard to collect full sets!

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    The base set that I have a full set of is the set that was made in 2000. The new cards that my son has are exactly the same cards in every detail. I have checked and checked. I will put on photos later as I have no access to any camera at the mo.

Cheers,

Spooner.

Years
    Wait, really? Then what he's buying are probably packs that get bought up by third-party companies, stashed away in warehouses for a few years, and then bundled with other booster packs and sold in "bargain" blister packs alongside the new sets being distributed by Nintendo.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    What a complete con! While were on the subject--do you reckon my base set is worth anything?

Years
    If they've been touched, they'll be valued closer to near mint. A PSA grading might be worth looking at.

I'd still like to see pics of your son's cards to determine the actual set, since you could still be confusing sets. Also note that Nintendo has no control of after-market cards, and legally the companies that buy and repackage cards can do what they do. All they did was buy the cards while they were still in print and stashed them away to sell them when Nintendo no longer had any supply to sell to stay out of legal trouble with Nintendo.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Nintendo is definitely not printing base set anymore, if the cards you are opening are from brand new packs then they have literally been sitting there for at least eleven years. A mint base set ungraded will go for about $100, but if you think the cards are truly mint with no scratches or whitening whatsoever, then get the holo's graded by PSA and you can sell them each for much more.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    That's the one. Check it out:
    https://cgi.ebay.ca/1999-Base-Pokem...565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c415a265

https://cgi.ebay.ca/RARE-HOLO-CHARI...691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41582bdc4b

As you can see, the value of a card graded by PSA can as much as quadruple when the grade is between 9-10. It's probably not worth it if you are only going to grade one card, as you will have to pay for the service to grade, but if you plan to grade many cards it could be worth considering. If you have any 1st edition holo base set cards then seriously consider grading those, as they are far more valuable than any unlimited base set card:

https://cgi.ebay.ca/Pokemon-Chariza...081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b931c871

Back