• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Earliest memories of Pokémon

Years
  • My earliest memory is of the first game, Pokemon Red. I loved Charizard on the front of the box and started with Charmander.

The game felt really big in game world size and it was for back then.​

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    My very very very earliest memory of Pokémon was me when I was at my cousin's house, and he was playing Pokémon blue on the original Gameboy sitting on the stairs, and I came down and saw him play and that's when I first got hooked. I could play a bit on his game too and I can remember not understanding what was being said at all because obviously I didn't know English yet hahaha.

Years
  • I can't remember specific dates but I remember things like watching the anime on Saturday mornings with my brother; people playing the games and trading pokémon in school and also the playing cards :)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The earliest memory I have of Pokemon is actually of my parents buying the games for my brother and I. We were all shopping together, and I had accidentally taken a look in my mum's bag and saw the games. At this point in time, my parents had thought they were going to surprise us by unveiling them on Christmas morning. I promptly ruined that for them by screaming YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! at the top of my lungs in the mall, followed by a panic when I realised that my brother was getting one as well.

I can't imagine how much of a horrible and petulant child I must have been all those years ago.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • The first game I got was Pokémon Yellow...But I don't remember anything before I played Gen III at this point... My memory is very bad.

With that said, the most significant memory I have was years ago when I played Pokémon XD. I had evolved my Eevee there into Jolteon, and I was battling Gorigan from Team Snagem I remember particularly struggling in that battle, especially against his Sealeo who was somehow cleaning out my entire team with Earthquake. For some reason, I'd thought Sealeo was ground because of that and never tried using Thunderbolt... Not that it mattered in the end, when Sealeo's Earthquake didn't even do half of Jolteon's HP somehow, and Shadow Ball did about 1/4th of Sealeo's HP. All I had to use was one Super Potion or something the entire rest of the battle, and Jolteon really just cleaned out Gorigan's entire team from then - and did it alone, too. All my other Pokémon had fainted.

Ever since then, Jolteon took over as my favorite Pokémon for being that strong and coming through like that, and being pretty darn cute while doing it.

Jolteon did it again recently when I replayed Fire Red... But that's a different story.

Cid

Years
  • Earliest memory would be watching my older sister play Yellow on her Gameboy. That is, for the games. The anime came much earlier, I think a specific time I recall most way back in the past would be watching the old Pokémon title card in between commercials. I can't remember why but it just stuck more than the events of the episode back then, haha.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    My earliest memories are playing pokemon gold for like 7 hours straight when I first got it on my birthday when I was like 6 or 7, can't really remember xD Good times, just storming through a game with a ridiculously overleveled Feraligatr. Now I think about everything too much and always have even teams.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • The earliest memory for me was my mother buying me Pokémon Blue when I was very young, it was something like 1999 and it was me, my sister and my friend (they had Yellow & Red respectively) I just remember playing it for hours.. and how it was such an amazing game.

Saucy Fish Boi

Music is my girlfriend
    Years
  • I started with Red version! It was my first ever taste of Pokémon, except maybe a commercial I saw. I think the first time I heard about it was when my sister told me about it and said we should get our mom to buy it for us. Little did I know that was the beginning of an era. :D

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • My very first memory of the franchise was seeing someone's drawing of Pikachu and thinking it was a character on South Park and instantly disliking it because I thought South Park was cheap, inappropriate humour for 8-year-olds. (And to be fair, it kind of was, but just because he'd drawn Pikachu next to Mr. Hankey didn't mean they were from the same thing.)

Figures that the same guy would teach me how to draw Pikachu a few weeks later and it's mainly because I had so much fun drawing Pokemon that I got so into it. :P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I honestly don't remember when I got into Pokemon or heard about it, so I'm just going to remember a few situations when I was young child so they all count. :3

First things that come to mind are a rainy day, sitting on top of the car, in Bugsy's gym town. Don't remember much else about that day but it comes to mind. Then there's Pokemon merchandise at the royal show. Um, getting my Pokemon box for Christmas - a large box that went under my bed with all my Pokemon stuff in it, including the board game. Uhhh, solving the maths Pokemon books. Getting a Pokemon book at a store lol. Um the Nintendo event! Well, when I got Celebi up the shops and there was lots of things on like anime footage etc one of the best days ever. Hmmm, exploring Ho-Oh's tower for the first time while getting my hair plaited for modelling iirc. Uh, pretending to be Pokemon after watching movie 2000 at a friend's house. Also when Johto Journeys first came on for the first time ever on Cheez TV.

I COULD GO ON AND ON. In fact I really wish I could. :( Pokemon was a happy part of my life. ;;

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I was flipping through channels when I found Pokémon. I liked it, so I watched it.

Years
  • My earliest memories of this franchise date back to the fourth grade. My friend had managed to get some of the ever illusive base set cards and had a Charmeleon amongst them. From that point forward I was fascinated by Pokémon and everything it embodied. I begged my mom every week for some money to go down to the local Target in hopes of being able to buy a pack.

After I had found out about the games I started saving my pennies. I got Red for my birthday and managed to get half way through the game in a night. Obsessed, I know. I've had many experiences with Pokémon from there on, but those are my earliest!

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    watching my friend's Nidoking destroying everything ingame with Thrash in blue version. lol
    that was like wat? 12-13 years ago? wow..

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • I guess my earliest memory would have to be being a 5 year old kid and watching my older cousin play. He wouldn't let me touch but he would let me watch over his shoulder. Then after my mom got tried of me begging him to let me play she got me my own copy of the game.

Back