• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

early evolutions

Moltres Rider

Banned
    Years
    has any of you noticed when you battle some trainers, they have an evolved Pokemon (such as Raticate) at a level lower than it would evolve for you, for example a trainer may have a level 15 Raticate, and your Rattata won't evolve until level 20, (lets say right now your Rattata is at 18) the trainer has it stronger even though lower leveled...

is it just me, or does this puzzle you as well, or does anybody know how or why they got these early evolutions? most of which a level 15 Raticate isn't available to you anytime in the game, but a trainer you face has one...

Years
    I've noticed that also.

Not really much to it really, the game developers just did it like that.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    The battle is more challenging that way... I think its funny battling a Lv. 15 Raticate or Lv.20 Graveler. lol

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    Oh and in Gen 5 the shiny/shaking grass pokes evolves earlier than normal too, I think. xD; I remember running into a shiny herdier or something like that and they evolved before the level they're supposed to evolve. o.o

TY

I have caught an level 28 Rapidash on FireRed while it should evolve at lv40.
    I think it is an challenge to beat evolved pokemon who shouldnt evolve at that level.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    The trainers gave their Pokemon drugs. This is clearly why they evolved so early.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Oh and in Gen 5 the shiny/shaking grass pokes evolves earlier than normal too, I think. xD; I remember running into a shiny herdier or something like that and they evolved before the level they're supposed to evolve. o.o
    I don't really think that's right though, shiny Pokémon are the same in every aspect as normal Pokémon, except their colours.

I never really gave it a second thought, it's just something they probably did so it would be more challenging, but also to maybe be able to get their Pokédex entry sooner than Victory Road lol.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    They just do it for more of a challenge, I'd assume. The games are FULL of underleveled Pokemon. In B/W, Drayden and Iris have an underleveled Haxorus, Grimsley has an underleveled Bisharp, and Ghetsis has a WAY underleveled Hydreigon. On Route 15, it's possible to find a Tyranitar in shaking grass at Lv50.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    They want to troll us. /kidding
    GF probably did it make things a little more difficult.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    It makes it fun that way. Don't forget the level 7 Pidgeotto in Yellow!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    It makes the game more fun if there are under leveled Pokemon around. Instances I can think of are Ghetsis' level 54 Hydreigon and the engineer with the level 18 Magneton.

Back