• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Easier Way To Edit Text Than Advance Text?

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2015
    I've tried using Advance Text to edit Pokemon Emerald. While I appreciate what it does, the vast majority of the text for the game is missing in the ini file and I have to create it by hand (except for Pokemon FireRed for whatever reason)

Does anybody know of a better way than this?

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    You can open up scripts in AdvanceMap via XSE then edit text there.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023

Because the repointing system of Advance Text is not working (that's what the rumors said).

What pokenoobend meant was to repoint the text via XSE.
    Example, you wrote a new text and compiled it in an offset.

Code:
    #dynamic 0x800000

#org @newtext
    = This is my new text.\nHello World!
    After you inserted that script in the game, open an NPC's script with XSE again.
    Example...

Code:
    '---------------
    #org 0x16582F
    msgbox 0x8[COLOR="Red"]17D80D[/COLOR] MSG_FACE '"Technology is incredible!\pYou can..."
    end

'---------
    ' Strings
    '---------
    #org 0x17D80D
    = Technology is incredible!\pYou can now store and recall items\nand POKéMON as data via PC.
    See the one colored in red? Simply replace that with your new script's offset.
    So it should look like this...

Code:
    '---------------
    #org 0x16582F
    msgbox 0x8[COLOR="red"]800000[/COLOR] MSG_FACE '"Technology is incredible!\pYou can..."
    end

'---------
    ' Strings
    '---------
    #org 0x17D80D
    = Technology is incredible!\pYou can now store and recall items\nand POKéMON as data via PC.
    Then, just hit the [Compile] button, and presto! You've replaced the text without overwriting! ^^
    Code:
    '---------------
    #org 0x16582F
    msgbox 0x8800000 MSG_FACE '"This is my new text.\nHello World!"
    end

'---------
    ' Strings
    '---------
    #org 0x800000
    = This is my new text.\nHello World!

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • If you are trying to edit text that isn't from like an NPC but from menu options like New Game or Pokedex or whatever, then I'd say that's all that A-Text should be used for. Find the offset that way and then compile your new text and find the A-Text offset for the text you want to replace and find it in a hex editor and replace that pointer with your pointer for your new text.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2021
    I do not understand scripting and repointing using XSE and A-Text is not working for my computer r there any alternatives?

Years
  • I do not understand scripting and repointing using XSE and A-Text is not working for my computer r there any alternatives?

The easiest way is via scripting. Surely you can write a simple message script?
    Code:
    #dynamic 0x(FSF Offset)

#org @start
    msgbox @msg1 0x2
    end

#org @msg1
    = I am cool.

Back