• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Easiest and Hardest gym leader

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    The Easiest for me was Pryce or Jasmine.
    The hardest for me was either Morty, Whitney, Clair and for some reason I always have trouble with Chuck's Poliwrath. Now that I think about it a lot of Johto gym leaders are difficult.
    What do you guys think?

Branellope

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • Easiest was Pryce, his Pokémon were horrific.
    Hardest has to be... Idk, Whitney for Cyndaquil choosers, possibly Morty or Clair for other starters.

Years
  • the easiest for me was morty, idk why his hypnosis never hit o.o
    and the hard had to be clair, i defeated her after 9 tries and 100k dropped in hyperpotions :(

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Easiest was definitely Bugsy; my Typhlosion was able to wreck through his team quite instantly. As for toughest, that's got to be Whitney; her Milktank was simply a beast. Clair was pretty difficult, too.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • The easiest for me has to be either Bugsy or Morty. I could just keep my Flying type Pokemon out (which is usually a member of the Pidgey line). The hardest to me would have to be Jasmine - her Pokemon can take most hits well, and her 2 Magneton hit me hard with Thunderbolt. Surprisingly, Whitney was a breeze for me. Yay for Leer spam.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Honestly, granted I didn't pick Charmander, I've always found Brock to be one of the easiest. Bulbasaur and Squirtle both dominate due to their typings being super effective against Brock's Pokemon, and I always managed to take down his Pokemon without any trouble, unless I picked Charmander. Apart from Mankey there really aren't any good Pokemon to counter him with before the gym, so that always posed as a challenge. Bugsy definitely comes as a close second, simply due to how weak he was as a trainer. His only saving grace was Scyther, but it could easily be taken out with any of the Pokemon you could catch in the Union cave pretty much.

Hardest must've been either Koga, Sabrina or Whitney. Whitney has already been mentioned loads, and for good reason. And while the main trouble comes from her Miltank, due to how incredibly annoying its moveset is. And you didn't really get much of a chance to get super effective Pokemon to battle her with, since the only Fighting type I remember being available before the gym was Machop, and that was through trade at a relatively low level. Her Clefairy wasn't anything to joke about either though, with that attract combo.

Sabrina was mainly hard due to how over powered Psychic types were in the first generation, since a bug for some reason made Ghost types weak to Psychic types instead of strong I believe. And with the lack of Dark types, that'd obviously cause some trouble. So yeah, you'd have to rely on your Pokemon to just be strong enough without any super effective moves, and that's what made her so tough.

I don't think Koga was ever actually that tough, but I just always had trouble against him. I reckon it comes from most of my playthroughs of the older games being when I didn't really have a grasp on which Pokemon were what typings and how the whole type chart worked, so I never actually did too well. Nowadays I usually always bring a Ground or Psychic type with me on the team, so he isn't much trouble, but back when I mainly played the first and second generation games, he was definitely a pain.

Raging Umbreon

Pkmn Trainer
    Years
  • Easiest for me was Faulkner and Bugsy.
    Hardest for me was Whitney and Claire.
    Miltank and it's annoying moves Attract and Rollout.
    Kingdra was just a total pain because of it's Water/Dragon typing. With no fairy types and barely any dragon types in Gen 2. I had to focus on neutral damage to take it out.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Falkner was actually not that easy because I didn't catch a rock-type, but Bugsy was always a piece of cake as well as Jasmine, unless I picked Chikorita. The hardest were definitely Whitney and Clair. Whitney's Miltank and Clair's Kingdra... give me nightmares. I've done two randomlocke runs so far and I always die at Clair...

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
  • It was rather sad how easy Faulkner is to defeat.

The hardest for me would be Whitney. Rollout + Attract= Pain in the arse.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Pryce was pretty easy by that point in the game. Ice types are rarely challenging as it is, and it's pretty sad that his Dewgong is more troubling than his Piloswine could ever be in those games.

I usually had quite a bit of trouble with Chuck. For once, bringing in an obvious counter to the Gym Leader's Pokemon was a recipe for defeat as I remember both of his Pokemon having Rock Slide. Unless you thought to bring a Kadabra or Drowzee, Chuck would be a bit of a hassle, and even then Kadabra had to take its opponent down in one or be knocked out by the retaliation.

The main reason I struggled with Claire was that I couldn't just grind away my problems. Level grinding opportunities in G/S/C were horrendous and I've always tried to maintain a balanced team. This went out the window on my 4th defeat, whereas I went and caught a Wobbuffet. Somehow, 9 year old me had the brilliant sense to Destiny Bond her Kingdra into submission.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Easiest: Jasmine or Bugsy.

Hardest: Whitney or Claire. Kingdra. Miltank. Smh.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I'm surprised more people haven't listed Chuck as the easiest, I mean, Fighting-types are notoriously fragile, and weak to a lot of really common types. That and the fact he only uses two Pokemon, for whatever reason. You could tear through him with a Fearow with little resistance.

As easy as he was, though, he was practically a challenge compared to Bugsy. Even if you didn't pick Cyndaquil, you have Geodudes and Onyx nearby, as well as a whole host of Flying-types, and Pokemon with Poison-type moves. Why they thought it would be a good idea to have a Bug-type Gym leader who uses two cocoon-based Pokemon is a mystery to me.

I think based on where she was located in the game (fairly early, just the third Gym in), and the fact you don't have access to fighting-type Pokemon, Whitney's Miltank was a challenge, i'm not afraid to admit it took me a few tries to get past her initially.

Jasmine also caused me a few problems, because Feraligatr was the only Pokemon I had which could put even so much as a dent in her Steelix. But yeah, she was a challenge due to my own lack of type coverage rather than anything tactical.

Relica

Worst Player Ever
    Years
  • Easiest in the game was definitely Falkner. He's a ridiculously easy push over and my vote for one of the easiest, if not easiest gyms in the series. For most difficult would be Claire because of the level gap between her and Pyrce is ridiculous in my opinion considering the options you have to grind on.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2016
    Whitney didnt prove much of a challenge for me, i usually pick up a geodude, rollout does f all to it, so it was quite easy.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Whitney is definitely the hardest gym leader for going in blind. I'm pretty sure almost everyone as a kid going in to face her thought 'Normal type, this will be easy', and proceeded to get destroyed by Miltank.

Easiest would probably be Jasmine. If you have your starter fully evolved by that stage, which would almost always be the case, you will sweep her team no problem. With Chuck, at least he can be annoying with DynamicPunch shenanigans, and Faulker can be frustrating if you picked Cyndaquil as he will spam Mud-Slap.

Back