• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Easiest Job in making a hack

What is the easiest job in hacking for you??

• Scripting

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Mapping

Votes: 140 52.2%
  • Spriting

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • Beta Testing

Votes: 104 38.8%
  • OW spriting

Votes: 25 9.3%
  • Graphic Designing

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
  • Actually sometimes testing isn't easy. What if you don't have the time and have to test a really long game? And in some hacks you have to look for some mistakes. Well in general I find that the easiest thing in hacking isn't thinking of ideas. But then again I am a writer and get ideas really easily xD

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    None of them. I find Tile Inserting easiest. As long as you know what to do, you find it easy.

And isn't beta testing not really MAKING your hack, but testing it to edit? Testing may help, but is it classed as part of Making? Or fixing?

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • A lot of people seem to be voting towards mapping... yet I see a LOT of grotesque maps around here. I agree with marxvile though, if you know what you are doing it is easy because you know what you are doing. I am also sure that A-Text would be easy... if it worked on my computer :P

Years
  • It has to be beta testing, all you do is play the game, and look for bugs,
    but mapping seems kind of easy too... you do not have to decide what
    happens...
    I guess i have to go with beta testing

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2012
    So, 1 thing to the people above who said, mapping is the easiest thing, I dont think so too.

Mapping is very hard, the few maps to make, the warps to make and so on, its very much work for a mapper!

For me, the easiest thing is spriting, you only have to sprite, you haven't to insert it or some other thing with the rom. The only thing, you have to understand what you are doing.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Time to give my opinion.

Scripting and Spriting are the easiest. You could become a natural at spriting with a decent reference, and an imagination. Scripting is easy too, because... well, it's just letters and numbers. Quite basic.

Mapping: As worldslayer said, LOTS of terrible maps, anything but easy.

Beta Testing: And you wonder why countless hacks have errors? Even when they had beta testers? This is just pissing me off. Beta Testing is what people do to get their hands on a hack early, pretty much. They write up a small report on what they found, and boom done. Err, NO! If a hack has maybe, a 30 minute length, if you're a beta tester, you should be testing it for no less than 3 hours. You need to seek out possibilities. It's not for your enjoyment, it's to make a hack glitch free for other hackers to enjoy. Running through the story and jotting down text errors is not beta testing. Talking to EVERY NPC, trying all the starters... trying to walk through every wall... that's testing.

-Jake2 out :D

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Time to give my opinion.

Scripting and Spriting are the easiest. You could become a natural at spriting with a decent reference, and an imagination. Scripting is easy too, because... well, it's just letters and numbers. Quite basic.

Mapping: As worldslayer said, LOTS of terrible maps, anything but easy.

Beta Testing: And you wonder why countless hacks have errors? Even when they had beta testers? This is just pissing me off. Beta Testing is what people do to get their hands on a hack early, pretty much. They write up a small report on what they found, and boom done. Err, NO! If a hack has maybe, a 30 minute length, if you're a beta tester, you should be testing it for no less than 3 hours. You need to seek out possibilities. It's not for your enjoyment, it's to make a hack glitch free for other hackers to enjoy. Running through the story and jotting down text errors is not beta testing. Talking to EVERY NPC, trying all the starters... trying to walk through every wall... that's testing.

-Jake2 out :D

Well for beta testing in movement errors I just open it up and check if everything's ok.
    But scripting is by far the easiest.
    You just have to learn how to use the commands.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Let me go through each of them.

Scripting - I believe this is the easiest single job as you only need to learn a few simple words - most of which are compounded from already know words (giveitem, givepokemon, how much more simple can you get?). It does take a little while to learn the basics(ie. ten minutes [what a waste of life, huh? -sarcasm-]) but it'll be really rewarding, as there isn't too much to learn. This doesn't require any skill whatsoever. However, you do have to follow maps, which tends to get annoying.

Spriting - This does require some sort of skill. I don't do it, so I can't really elaborate.

Beta Testing - While it may seem easier, to do it properly takes a long time. To properly beta test (not just randomly playing once through the game and then say "done" after you saw a script error), like colcolstyles does it, takes ages. You need to check every different scenario, check every single tile and check every single word for misspellings and grammatical errors. There's probably more that I haven't listed. You'll also have to have some knowledge of hacking to be a good, helpful beta tester so you can help with the fixing, not just the finding.

Mapping - As with beta testing, this might seem easy, but to be a good mapper (as Disturbed, neti, colcolstyles and haefele are), you need to practice a lot, and generally do more than simply clicking on tiles and then the map. You need to put effort into it, and you need an aesthetic sense, as well as the ability to sense how the map will be played in the game. This isn't as easy as it seems.

If you want my opinion, though, I think that doing a one-man hack is really fun. Not necessarily easy, because you have no one to lean on and blame but yourself, but it is FUN. You don't get bossed around as to how you make the movements, and where the scripts are placed, or how the maps are to look or feel. You can map and script to your heart's content, and, you can, as I do, give the beta testing and spriting jobs to people who are good at it.

Well, there's my two cents, so have fun with it. =P

Remember, who cares if a job is easy, you want fun. Would you rather work as a game developer with a lot of hard work, and bugs to remove, but have fun, or work as a lift operator? Boring, but easy, eh?

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Beta testing is obviously the easiest out of the possibilities because its the only thing that doesn't require any skill.

You don't have to be experienced to be good at Scripting but most people aren't able to think of original and imaginative scripts. Mapping is pretty difficult. I can think of only 4 people I consider to be good mappers. I'm not sure about the others since I don't do them.

The Shadow Knight

Roaming Kanto
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2022
    Scripting is quite easy once you've got the basics down. Although I have found that some scripting things that I consider basic are missing from a lot of scripts, just take the "flickering" textboxes as an example.

Mapping takes a lot more effort than most people think, which is also why the number of really good mappers(of which group I'm certainly NOT a member ;]) is quite limited.

Beta testing is a very tedious task that can consume quite some time. (And players almost always find more errors after you release a Beta >_>)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    All of those things are much more difficult if you take the time to do them well and efficiently. You could fly through it and, while it might be easy, you'd be making bad scripts, tiles, maps, sprites.. You wouldn't be much of use to anyone.

Technically, what I'd say, instead of "Easiest Job in making a hack", I would say something more along the lines of "What job comes to you the easiest?" since they're all technically the same difficulty. Although, that's dangerously similar to another thread that's out there, so maybe not. I dunno.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Hm, this is a good question. I suppose I'll take the Ninja Caterpie approach and individually discuss each category:

Scripting:
    Well, for people who are new to hacking, this can be the hardest thing. I know it was for me. And yes, it is also true that it's not too hard once you learn how to go about doing it. But at the same time, it's not just memorizing the commands. It requires intimate knowledge of exactly what each command does and how it works in relation to using other commands around it. For me, scripting is one of the hardest parts of hacking simply because of my perfectionism. I'll spend hours in front of an XSE window and only create something that you can play through in a minute or two. However, what a lot of people miss are the parts of the script that don't have any visual or audible effect. There is always a lot of coordinating of variables (not so much flags) that can greatly alter the course of a script but of which the player has no knowledge. So for me, scripting is probably the hardest, second only to...

Spriting:
    Now this, this is difficult. Spriting is art, and for that reason, it's kind of hit and miss for some people. Scripting, once you memorize the commands and grasp the concept of exactly how to use them, isn't too difficult (it's the process of debugging and editing them that takes the most time & effort). But spriting actually requires some talent. I, having absolutely no artistic ability, struggle with spriting in particular. Although for some people, it just comes naturally and they think it's the easiest thing ever. So I suppose this one varies from person to person but for me, this is definitely the most difficult aspect of hacking.

Beta Testing:
    As several people have already mentioned, this can be difficult if you do it correctly. Still, the concept behind it is simple: step on every tile, try every script, hit every wall, try every single damn possibility even when you know it's going to work because for God knows what reason it might not work this time. The idea is simple but the execution is tedious and monotonous, to the point where so-called "beta-testers" aren't really testing anything; they're just playing through the game ahead of every one else (as Disturbed so accurately put it). Although, a lot of the time, the hack gets canceled before a release is even at the stage where testing is performed. Still, beta testing is easy in nature but difficult to do (if you do it right).

Mapping:
    Mm, my favorite. To me, mapping comes naturally. However, that's not to say that it's easy. The process of mapping usually takes weeks or even months (depending on how active I am) to complete. The process of finding the perfect underlying concept behind a map and taking all of the necessary steps to achieve that takes far too long in my opinion. Mapping, for me, is not too hard but, similar to other tasks, it takes me a good deal of time due to my refusal to accept anything that doesn't look exactly like I want it to. Finding the perfect balance between a playable and an aesthetically appealing map is key. Without it, you're just another face in the crowd.

Hacking, on the whole, is actually a lot more difficult than newcomers initially believe. It takes time to craft a bug-free script, to draw an attractive tile or sprite, to make a map that is an overall enjoyable experience, and to find each and every flaw in someone's (or your own) work. However, something that has been bugging me is the hype over the "skill" that is tile inserting. For me, tile inserting is, hands down, the easiest task in the process creating a ROM hack. And with AdvanceMap, it's ridiculously easy. Truly ridiculous. To think that people have to hire a person on their team for the sole purpose of inserting tiles is ludicrous. All you do is export the tileset in AdvanceMap, change something in Paint, and then import the tileset back into AdvanceMap. Sure, you have to make sure all the colors match the palette and check the alignment but in the scheme of things, you shouldn't dedicate your career as a hacker towards the single task of tile inserting. Take the time to develop your mapping skills or scripting, for which there is a very high demand these days.

So yeah, that's basically it.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • If you're just making some quick slapped-together thing, and not putting a ton of effort into it, ALL of them are easy. Mapping is the easiest, because then, you don't even have to think about stuff like remembering to put "#org @start" and all those little tags, and you don't have to worry about remembering what palettes are valid and what aren't... as you would with scripting and spriting. Mapping, at its most basic, lowest level, is really simple, since slapping down some tiles on AdvanceMap's drawing canvas is about as difficult as scrawling a stick figure on Microsoft Paint.

If you're making a good game, though? All of them are hard. Scripting is a lot harder when you're trying to do more than simple dialogue, spriting is hard when you're not only worrying about palettes but worrying about making it look GOOD, and mapping may be the hardest of all at that point. Everyone can draw a stick figure on Microsoft Paint. Making a truly excellent map is the equivalent of trying to draw a recognizable Mona Lisa on Microsoft Paint. It certainly isn't easy.

So at the advanced level, I guess it depends on your personal abilities for what's the easiest. I put OW spriting, because for me, it's the activity that I gravitate towards when I'm trying to work on the hack but don't want to work on something else. The nice thing about spriting (both OW spriting and normal spriting) is that they're fairly independent projects. When I'm messing with a map I have to think about how the scripts are going to function in it, and when I'm making a script I have to think about how the applymovements will work on the map; so when I'm working on a big script, sometimes I've got up TextEdit, XSE, AdvanceMap, and a tutorial on scripting, and am editing the map and the script and the OW placement at the same time.

I can pretty much sprite without having to worry about those other things, though. OW spriting, in particular, is easier for me.

My Cyndaquil is on Fire!

is HFI's lil' bro
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2009
    None of the jobs are easy it takes a lot of skill to do any of those jobs good.
    So in my opinion no hacking job is easy

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
    Years
  • Spriting is the easiest, I spent 4 years perfecting it and it's brought me to do "great" things, Spriting is one thing which has great differences between people who produce graphics. I bet anyone could pick up a tileset these days and know the author just by looking at the style. Whether its Kyledove/ Alistair/ Saurav or me (Zeikku)..
    We all have different styles and improve. Graphics play an important role in making a hack original (especially if you're a hacker who makes his own tiles).
    I do think spriting is something which is complicated. But like most things..dedication will get you far.

Back