• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Easiest Job in making a hack

What is the easiest job in hacking for you??

• Scripting

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Mapping

Votes: 140 52.2%
  • Spriting

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • Beta Testing

Votes: 104 38.8%
  • OW spriting

Votes: 25 9.3%
  • Graphic Designing

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

Nikkie.

Nikeiphoros, eh?
Years
  • The Truth..

Well, the easiest job is indeed what you practice at. Example; I practice mapping alot.. So obviously it would be easier to do.. Same goes for everything else..

My awnser is, Scripting. Although im not sure why I say this, it's the easiest thing (If you have a great memory) to do in ROM hacking. You just have to Remember cirtain tags, as Colcolstyles said.

For a newbie, mapping would be appropriate for starting, because it's a start to ROM hacking.

zi skill depends on zi hacker.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • Beta testing is probably the easiest thing to just pick up and do, but unless you have experience, you won't know what all you need to do to check for problems. Scripting is a bit harder to just do, because even with a list of things to do and not to do, and explanations of how everything works, it takes a while to learn... and if you do something wrong, you'll only see the result, and may have no idea what happened.

I'd say the very easiest job is spriting, since once you know the rules, it's just a matter of replicating your idea.

Easiest Job in making a hack

...Well, okay, it's not quite that simple, but it's not difficult either! The only really hard part about spriting is when you're making a sprite based on someone else's ideas, without adequate reference material.

The above images are actually part of an in-depth spriting tutorial, which will be available... well, whenever a mod puts it through on the Tutorials board.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2009
    For the idiots who say scripting is easy, go try and do what Thethethethe did without tutorials, and I'm pretty sure all of you who said scripting is the easiest will fail.

CollinP

My Avi Evolved
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2009
    Scripting NoNo

SCRIPTING IS PROBABLY THE HARDEST PART!!!!!
    I Do Agree That Mapping Is Probably The Easiest part- especially with gold map or a-map
    also, it takes a while, and i'm lazy, but o/w sprite editing is pretty easy

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Unfortunately, this is RIGHT NOW when we do indeed have thethethethe's wonderful tutorial and diegoisawesome's useless converted one, as well as Hackmew's great XSE.

So it's not too hard at all.

Oxnite

aka Arbok
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not really good at spriting.. And I can't script at all.

Well, I like using rom hacking tools. It's just so much fun to edit trainers and all that kind of stuff.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2017
    For the moment I would say that mapping is the easiest, but that is mostly due to my lack of knowledge in the other fields at this present moment (hoping to amend that soon!).

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    Mapping is pretty easy. There's only a few things you need to do:
    Movement Permissions.
    Scripts/Events.

There ya go.

notbob

ZE ULTIMATE POWA
    Years
  • None of those

Well, here's why:
    Scripting- I'm fine with only knowing LUA, thank you.
    Mapping- You have to carefully place everything to be in balance or else, it sucks.
    Text Editing- You have to change EVERY FREAKING TEXT THERE IS JUST TO CHANGE SOMEONE'S NAME!!!
    Ideas- The second hardest one, I am short on creativity. School killed my creativity.
    Tile Editing- It is the stupidest one. You have to work with a 5 color palate that doesn't give you the freedom to make what you want how you want it to look.
    World Map Editing- Can't do it. Too hard. 'nuff said

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    Honestly, there's no such thing as an easiest job while making a hack. It's pretty much subjective: everyone is good at something rather then something else, so it's pretty obvious someone might prefer spriting over scripting, for example, or the other way round. So, nothing is really difficult and nothing is really easy. It all depends on your skills. BTW, not all jobs are listed in the poll.

That said, here are a few things to note:

Scripting: This is actually the easiest thing for me, and it's not as hard as most newbies usually think. Being an intermediate/advanced programmer might help here. Wheter you're good at it or not, you must take care of it as it's the closest thing to the core of hacking, which is ASM. If you think about hacking as a human body, while ASM would be the brain, scripting would be probably represented by the heart. Nowadays, anyway, with XSE and its guide (yeah, you should read it) scripting has become less nightmare-ish than it was when I started working on it. I bet most of you will agree with me. While XSE helps you out though, you still need to learn scripting. Now, learning scripting is often understimated. People usually are happy to learn the basics that's it, maybe even claiming theirselves as master scripters. Sadly, it doesn't really work like that. Scripting is a complex thing you need to handle, it isn't just a mix of words and numbers that will do the magic for you. Therefore you need to understand how everything works and how. I mean, everything: every single command, every single parameter counts. Note I said "complex" and not "complicated". Once you learn scripting properly, it will be as easy as thinking what the script you're working at should do or should not do. You don't really need to remember all the stuff, because you can always press F1 to refresh your memory. Keep in mind the original games are full of working examples, and rather then complaing your wild battle scripts isn't working and demanding a fix you should rather go decompiling a similar script a see what's inside it. Maybe you can learn a thing or two as a bonus. The 3P rule here is: practice, practice and practice again. Oh, and just do me a favor: don't say scripting the hardest thing ever without actually trying. Learning takes time, but it's worth it.

Mapping: Beginners usually starts with mapping, because they all can open AM, load a map and put some tiles here are there. Now, getting a good map... that's a bit different. You need to worry about tilesets, tiles, palettes, connections, and other funny things you are probably aware of. Those things can be understood quite easily, but still that doesn't make you a good mapper. Artistic skills are somewhat required: you can't place houses or trees at random, just to fill the map area.

Spriting: I wonder what's the difference between spriting and OW spriting. Spriting is just spriting, in my opinion. Anyway, spriting requires you being able to draw something, and to color it respecting the game limits (e.g. 15+1 colors). If you can't draw, you're probably getting nowhere. You can still try, of course.

Beta Testing: Next time you're beta testing something, stop for a moment and think how are you doing it. Are you still sure that's beta testing? "Playing the game" isn't beta testing. Beta testing involves the fact you know the hack you're testing as deeply as possible. You need to make sure all the maps are displayed correctly, that every script tile is working as expected, every person is saying the right things at the right time and without typos. To make is short, you need to make sure everything is working as intended. Beta testing takes a lot of time, and if you're lazy or just don't feel spending so much time then you shouldn't be beta testing at all. How come the first beta of my hack had only one little bug? That's because I beta tested it.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Spoiler:

HackMew, thanks for that post. I always find it interesting how everyone seems to think mapping and beta testing are sooo easy. They both take time and some degree of skill.

To be honest, I think coming up with a name and a plot is easier than both mapping and beta testing, and even then it is a tricky step.

Keep in mind people, what is easy for us is not always easy for others and for this reason you can't really say it is the easiest job because when it comes down to it, someone may be familiar with scripting inside and out and consider it to be the easiest, whilst you don't understand scripting, but can bring maps to life like nobody else can.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    For the idiots who say scripting is easy, go try and do what Thethethethe did without tutorials, and I'm pretty sure all of you who said scripting is the easiest will fail.

Fine then.
    It's still easier than mapping.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • I agree with HackMew, nothing in hacking is easy. They all take certain skills that need to be developed to have success. Each job has its on struggles. I mean yeah, anyone can make a map,sprite,etc. But not everyone can make these hings and make them good.

PokeMoon

Proud "Teh New Era" Member
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    Either mapping or beta testing, because in beta testing you get to play the game XD

Jay C

Pokemon Shadows-The Resistance
    Years
  • Scripting is complicated. I figure out how to compile with Pokescript or insert with PKSV. Mapping is easiest.

Back