• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Easiest Job in making a hack

What is the easiest job in hacking for you??

• Scripting

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Mapping

Votes: 140 52.2%
  • Spriting

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • Beta Testing

Votes: 104 38.8%
  • OW spriting

Votes: 25 9.3%
  • Graphic Designing

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

viemortevolroc

Beta Tester,Mapper Beginner
Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2009
    i have to say mapping cuz im a natural at it but scripting is hardest,cuz i cant script worth nothing without using an already used script and altering it T_T

Vednix

:D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Well, I'm not too sure what mapping is, but I think OW spriting it the easiest. It's the first thing I did in my hack.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Well, I'm not too sure what mapping is, but I think OW spriting it the easiest. It's the first thing I did in my hack.

Mapping is the action of creating the environment that is played in-game. For example, Pallet Town has it's own map. Most people enjoy mapping because of the simplicity; it's basically point-and-click. ;D

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
    Years
  • Nothing in Hacking is easy, it's skill.
    For me, I just started, so:
    Scripting, although I'm only making simple scripts, and am soon moving on to flags
    with mapping, I run out of ideas soon
    With Spriting, I mess up, and again, not as creative
    With Beta testing...never done it, but I agree with Hackmew about it, it's not easy. You can't just play the hack...

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
    Years
  • Haha, Beta Testing is so easy! You play it :D

[kindofofftopic]Nooo. You have the wrong idea if you think Beta Testing is "so easy". Granted, pressing the arrow keys on your keyboard and spamming z and x may be easy in itself, but it is a lot of tedious hum-drum (can I say that...?) It's not supposed to be fun, it's supposed to be a pian so other people can have fun! Read HackMew's post, it has some good points.[/kindofofftopic]

But, I believe that scripting is easiest for me.

Years
  • Even though I specialize in Writing and Story Direction in my project, Beta Testing is the easiest for me, Since I've done it before in plenty of hacks. (not all pokemon, mind you) Then Mapping. Mapping isn't that hard. Scripting however... ugh.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • Even though I specialize in Writing and Story Direction in my project, Beta Testing is the easiest for me, Since I've done it before in plenty of hacks. (not all pokemon, mind you) Then Mapping. Mapping isn't that hard. Scripting however... ugh.

Scripting is very simple once you know what offsets and variables do. :\

making the title screen is the easiest
    Can you show me how then? I'm having trouble.

Haha, Beta Testing is so easy! You play it :D
    And you also are supposed to check for errors such as typos, script errors (we don't want the player launched into the tree! :O), tile errors, palette gilitches, and the rest.

Scripting is complicated. I figure out how to compile with Pokescript or insert with PKSV. Mapping is easiest.
    PokeScript is rubbish compared to XSE, and PKSV makes it way too easy. It takes the fun out of it.
    Typing up a script and clicking the gear button and inserting it into an event with A-Map isn't that hard. :\

Either mapping or beta testing, because in beta testing you get to play the game XD

Riiiight. Beta testing = playing? Very wrong you are sir or madam (whichever you are). Check my reply to Xyo.

But, anyways, I'm pretty good at mapping and very well (I think) at scripting.

Last edited:

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
  • Well, I believe I have posted here before, but my hacking skills have improved so my answers have changed. Now I say, the easiest jobs in hacking for me now would be mapping, tile inserting, and ow spriting.

0d'

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    As long as you know something by heart, you can say that's the easiest for you.
    Some people in here are just answering to what they prefer, not what they learned and found easy throught the time they have been hacking.

insectduel

ROM-Hacker, YouTube content creator
    Years
  • I'm not sure if I already answer this thread. I don't hack Pokémon actually and even if I tried to do it like Importing Maps or OW Spriting or stuff like that, it's the best of the worse of I ever done.

Nothing easy for me except making maps and edit their Pokémon trainers via editor.

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
    Years
  • I honestly believe Spriting is the easiest part in making a Rom Hack. I mean, usually, it takes work and maybe a few attempts before you pull off a decent tileset/trainer sprite/etc., but usually, when you're used to doing it, and your eye becomes more acquainted with the various styles used in the Games, it's often a walk in the park...Not to mention, you can do customs, minor edits, major edits, revamps, just about anything with a Sprite if you can fit it into the ROM.

I've noticed many people have been saying Scripting is easy...I somewhat agree with that, but I think it really depends on what type of Script you're doing. If you're doing a simple talk script, or giveitem or even a givepokemon, then yeah, it is really simple...But if you're trying to think out of the box and do something where someone would ask you a yes/no question as to whether you wanted to buy a Pokemon from them, completely by scratch, then things can get complicated.

Scripts that are more advanced often take more work with pinpointing offsets, (Well, if you use ScriptED like I do atm), and making sure all the commands are in order. Not to mention, even with the latest in Scripting technology and tutorials, not every script you put in may work the same. Sometimes you'd have to test the same script repeatedly, not to mention changing portions of it, just to realize you put two commands in the wrong order.

Back