• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Easiest Job in making a hack

What is the easiest job in hacking for you??

• Scripting

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Mapping

Votes: 140 52.2%
  • Spriting

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • Beta Testing

Votes: 104 38.8%
  • OW spriting

Votes: 25 9.3%
  • Graphic Designing

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
Years
  • Both spriting and mapping are relatively easy compared to the other jobs. If I had to pick the easier one, then I'd say spriting.

Despite the simplicity of mapping, it really depends on how naturally good you are at doing it. If you have a knack for it, then mapping is a breeze. For others, it might take a bit more effort. Because of those differences, mapping could actually be rather challenging depending on what quality maps you want to have. Personally, it often takes me some extra time to really make my maps shine, and it's not always that easy to make it as good as possible. Spriting, on the other hand, doesn't really involve any special skills once you get the hang of it.

smackdown85146

Noob Hacker
    Years
  • Well, it usually depends on what your forte is. For some people, it might be so hard to script, but easy to map, and it might be the other way around. For me, I find scripting the easiest, probably since I have a good writing ability and I find it easy to memorize all the commands, while I suck terribly at mapping, probably since I have no artistic skill whatsoever.

Here are my views:

Scripting - Probably the easiest for me, since ideas come fast, and then get onto the computer.

Spriting - I have no clue about this, since I 1.) have no artistic ability and 2.) never tried it.

Mapping - My worst ^_^! I can never make a good map (trust me, my first hack was going to take place in the Kanto without any changes!).

Beta Testing - I am a perfectionist. I'd be playing for hours looking for grammatical errors, holes in walls, etc. Too bad I've never beta tested yet :-(

monkeyman2092

Aipom Awesome!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2009
    Mapping is by far the easiest, mostly because you don't need a code to map. :) And that's nice...

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2010
    After you get experience, scripting is the easiest. Unless if you are doing highly complex things, but usually in ROM hacking, that doesn't happen.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    beta testing or mapping
    there both easy, but if you put your time in anything
    it becomes easy. write now i map, test, and am a rookie scriptor.
    so i can't really deside.

Years
  • I've just started hacking and out of all of them I've got to have found the mapping by far the easiest and quickest to do.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    For the idiots who say scripting is easy, go try and do what Thethethethe did without tutorials, and I'm pretty sure all of you who said scripting is the easiest will fail.

What do you mean? Well me I learned how to script (in XSE) basic talking scripts on my own, I did a lot of experimenting, LOL. So probably, scripting is the easiest also mapping.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • That is pretty obvious. OW Spriting!! :D Very easy. Though I'm not the best in doing it. I don't count Beta Testing as a Job. (Unless the person is really reliable.) Most people just wanted to play the Hack first, before others get the chance, so Beta Testers don't count as a Job unless the Beta Tester is really reliable and things like that.

Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    I would have to agree on Mapping. It's almost just a simple game of Point and Click. Almost anyone can do even the simplest part of mapping, just putting the tiles everywhere. Some parts of it, like tile changing, and crap may take some time and effort, but basic mapping is the easiest.

evenc13

Pokemon Game Editor
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2014
    I'd Say mapping is the easiest part, you know what you want, and you don't have a problem doing it.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2010
    Mapping's easy. People say scripting is easy, but it ISN'T! I tried SEVEN TIMES to make an item ball disappear when it was collected BUT IT DIDN'T WORK. And I even copied the code directly from another item ball event, but THAT didn't work.

'---------------
    #org 0x290D4D
    giveitem 0x6D 0x1 MSG_FIND
    end

'---------------
    #org 0x2910A7
    end

Spot the diff.

Last edited:

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Mapping's easy. People say scripting is easy, but it ISN'T! I tried SEVEN TIMES to make an item ball disappear when it was collected BUT IT DIDN'T WORK. And I even copied the code directly from another item ball event, but THAT didn't work.

'---------------
    #org 0x290D4D
    end

'---------------
    #org 0x2910A7
    end

Spot the diff.

Add the flag same person ID in on A-Map and it'll work.
    But, I digress.
    I prefer mapping, as I find it fun to use creativity.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • like with anything its easy if your good at it also mapping is easy for most people to understand but there not good in mapping its not always about whats easiest

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
  • For me the easiest job is Scripting.Its like maths.You just have to remember them and they will be easy.As for mapping,Its hard because you need to make
    your own original maps and for some people,they would like to see a new tiles.Overall Scripting is the easiest

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • I think mapping. Just because you get to be creative and creativity comes natural to a lot of people.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Tile inserting. So easy, just paste and recolor images, nothing hard about that right? Mapping is also easy to me, it just seems to come naturally.

Back