• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Editing .gbapal files

Days
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I'm trying to modify the sprites in graphics/trainers/front_pics in the pokeemerald decomp project. No problem in modifying the sprite in itself with GraphicsGale for example, but I also want to modify the color palette in the .gbapal file and I don't know how to do that. Is there a tool to modify a .gbapal file ? Is there a way to export the color palette in GraphicsGale as .gbapal ?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm trying to modify the sprites in graphics/trainers/front_pics in the pokeemerald decomp project. No problem in modifying the sprite in itself with GraphicsGale for example, but I also want to modify the color palette in the .gbapal file and I don't know how to do that. Is there a tool to modify a .gbapal file ? Is there a way to export the color palette in GraphicsGale as .gbapal ?

You should never edit .gbapal files. They are automatically created from .pal and .png files during the compilation process.
    You should instead look for a .pal file or a .png file with the same name as the .gbapal file you want to change and edit that.

.png files have embedded color palettes which you can edit with various image editing software (like GraphicsGale).
    .pal files are just text files, but it can be more convenient to use an image editing tool to export the palette of your image, or use a palette editor instead of manually editing the palette with a text editor.

Days
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Thanks for your answer, it is clearer for me now ! Do you know where to find the .pal files for the trainers front and back sprites ? (except for may, brendan, steven and wally which are in trainers/palettes)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks for your answer, it is clearer for me now ! Do you know where to find the .pal files for the trainers front and back sprites ? (except for may, brendan, steven and wally which are in trainers/palettes)
    The source file of a .gbapal file not only has the same name as the .gbapal file, but it's also in the same folder. If you don't see a .pal file of the same name, the .gbapal was generated from a .png file, as is the case with trainers.

Back