• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Editing Initial Spawn Location

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2014
    The first question I have is simply how would I go about changing the map and tile you spawn on after Oak's initial speech in FireRed? I am not concerned with changing the actual text in the speech at this point, I just want to change the spawn location so I can test the maps and scripts I have in the game.

Another slightly related question I have involves warps in Advance Map. I am running into a problem where the warp at the stairs in the room you start in in FireRed takes me to a black screen. I'm not sure if that means my ROM is corrupted in some way, or if there is an error in where I am sending the warp to. I have tried changing the map and bank on the warp multiple times but nothing has altered me getting a black screen as a result.

The final question I have is also related to Advance Map. Whenever I load up one of the maps I have created, Advance Map gives me the error message, "ERROR: (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): Value $FFFFFFFF is not a Pointer! Please contakt [email protected]". I am not sure what this error means in the first place, and how I would go about resolving it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Years
    Well, if you want to start the player off at the co-ordinates (found in A-Map, in hexadecimal) of 0D, 04, you would go to the following offset:

0x54A08: Player X Position

in a hex editor and type 0D, and then go to:

0x54A00: Player Y Position

and type 04.

If you wanted to change the starting-off map from (4,1) to, say, (12,0), you would first convert this to hexadecimal, making it 0C as the map bank and 00 as the map number. You then go to:

0x54A04: Map Bank

in a hex editor and type "0C", and then go to:

0x54A06: Map Number

and type "00". Then simply save and test.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2014
    Just to confirm, in this image, https://i.imgur.com/pv3zIOR.png, 0x54A08 would be where the number at the top and the number at the bottom "meet" so to say, as if I were to draw a line straight from each of them and edit where they cross, correct?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Yes, where they meet is the byte '54A008' (remember the zero). The top row contibute the last number to the offset.

If you're looking for '54A08' that is actually 54A080' which you can see is down the left handside (where all offsets end with zero).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2014
    I've run into another problem, so I figure that I might as well ask it in this thread instead of spamming this board with new threads.

Basically, I've created a script in XSE, which has no bugs, but whenever I try to import the script into Advance Map, it erases itself, I guess would be the closest thing. So I have the script I created in XSE, then when I click the open script button in AMap, it pops up some empty script. At this point I simply copy paste my script into the box, overwriting the empty script that AMap puts in there by default. However, once I close the XSE box that pops up in AMap after copying my script over, and then click the open script button again, the same empty script that was there in the beginning pops up. This results in my script not occurring in game. Am I doing something wrong when saving it? Is there something specific I need to name the script? I'm using an offset I found in FSF, so I don't think that is the issue.

Thanks again for the help.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    First, don't bother using FSF, just start your script with: #dynamic 0x740000

Then, make sure you are using the compile button (blue gears) to insert it, not the save button. Then copy the starting offset to your person event and save in advance map.

That should work. Let us know :).

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Click open script, then delete everything and completely paste in your script. Press the gears, it'll give you a new offset (not 740000 by the looks of it) and copy that into amap

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2014
    That kind of worked. When I step on the square the script is set on, the player character stops in place, but doesn't do any of the things the script calls for. When I compiled the script, it gave me two offsets for the two different pointers in my script. Did I maybe use the wrong one?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Ah, you're using a script tile rather than just a person. That requires a bit more effort :) have a look in out tutorial section for 'flags, variables and script tiles' by Karatekid

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2014
    I'm making progress. I got the text string in the script to pop up on screen and work. However I want this script to only play once, which would mean I need to set the value of the variable controlling this script to a different value at the end of the script. I tried doing this, I put "setvar 0x4012 0x1" after the end command. However the script will still activate if you step on the tile again. Upon further investigation, if I look at the script in AMap after it had been compiled, the command to change the value of the variable isn't there. Do you have any idea what is happening? Is it possible that I am putting the command to change the value of the variable after the wrong command?

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2014
    I tried setting the var value to 0, and that didn't work, but then I went into the script and put the setvar command after the release command instead of the end command.

Now my script finally works! Thank you guys so much for the help the past couple of days!

Back