• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Effect of Remakes

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    So......Well, there has been two remakes so far; FRLG and HGSS. Now many people want a RSE remake. But now I'm starting to wonder; why would they even make remakes? I mean, the early pokemon games were great, are they trying to adapt them to the better technology and give the players satisfaction by better graphics, music, etc? Or are they just trying to say that "these games existed years ago" and give us back the memories of playing it (or in other words, give it a greater value of nostalgia?).

Maybe I'm being too confusing here, but to the people who can actually understand what I'm saying; what do you think?

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • Remakes are made for the same reason the third versions are. To make more money with significantly less effort than it would take to create an entirely new title (by using the same game engine, same/similar setting, etc.). It minimizes the things they actually have to design, instead relying heavily on nostalgia.
    It's a smart idea and it works for them. Personally though, I'd prefer they stop remaking older games and instead focus on developing new, original titles.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • RS remakes are the last remakes necessary so that they are brought upto the DS which would ensure that all 5 regions are on the DS, the graphics and events are outdated also. Finally, the most likely reason is money.. we all know these would make a tonne of money and I'm pretty sure Nintendo know that too and when it comes to money for them they're all for it.

Years
  • The purpose of remakes are so that you can play classic games on the newest systems with updated graphics and features. I love the remakes more than the originals.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    So......Well, there has been two remakes so far; FRLG and HGSS. Now many people want a RSE remake. But now I'm starting to wonder; why would they even make remakes? I mean, the early pokemon games were great, are they trying to adapt them to the better technology and give the players satisfaction by better graphics, music, etc? Or are they just trying to say that "these games existed years ago" and give us back the memories of playing it (or in other words, give it a greater value of nostalgia?).

Maybe I'm being too confusing here, but to the people who can actually understand what I'm saying; what do you think?

I think you're mistaking the biggest audience for remakes. It's not the people that played the originals. It's the young kids that just started playing Pokemon and have no interest in the originals the way they are. If they release them remade, it gets the younger children who are used to the graphics of that system into the past of the games. The main target audience of the remakes aren't nostalgia fans.

RS remakes are the last remakes necessary so that they are brought upto the DS which would ensure that all 5 regions are on the DS, the graphics and events are outdated also. Finally, the most likely reason is money.. we all know these would make a tonne of money and I'm pretty sure Nintendo know that too and when it comes to money for them they're all for it.

The original DS and DS Lite are both outdated. This means that Kanto is now outdated as well. As they get more and more games made, it will be impossible for them to have all the games compatible with each other and not on outdated systems, so this remake cycle can only last for so long until it loses one of its biggest perks and things will have to change. Maybe a generation of only remakes to catch up, or stop the remakes altogether, or something else.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • it will be impossible for them to have all the games compatible with each other
    Well from what's happening right now, you can migrate III to IV, then to V. If it lasted longer than the Gen I -> Gen II thing, then definitely all the games are compatible with each other. There's no reason they shouldn't make Gen V not compatible with Gen VI, VI to VII, etc. because the basic system of the 3DS is still the same, as it can still communicate with normal DSs with trades and stuff (does it?).

And yes, the remakes are there to get the newer players more interested in Pokémon, because it reveals the many stories of the Pokémon world. Why is that necessary? Because game systems go out of date, and it's not so easily obtained anymore. For example, you can only buy a Game Boy on eBay now. While that may not sound too bad, think about the younger children who only know stores like Gamestop that don't sell Game Boys anymore. This is the reason they make remakes.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

• The original DS and DS Lite are both outdated. This means that Kanto is now outdated as well. As they get more and more games made, it will be impossible for them to have all the games compatible with each other and not on outdated systems, so this remake cycle can only last for so long until it loses one of its biggest perks and things will have to change. Maybe a generation of only remakes to catch up, or stop the remakes altogether, or something else.

But didn't Kanto get a bit of an update in HG/SS? Just saying.

Anyway, back on topic, I like the concept of remakes. For one, I never got to play the Kanto and Johto games because I didn't have a Game Boy with me. With FR/LG and HG/SS made, I was able to enjoy the earlier regions.

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    Remakes are made for the same reason the third versions are. To make more money with significantly less effort than it would take to create an entirely new title (by using the same game engine, same/similar setting, etc.).

Hmmm.....yeah, I forgot about the "money" part.
    My personal thought is that they first aim the remakes to the newer gamers, then show them that there was an earlier version of this game. Then the newer gamers, out of pure curiosity, will try to play the older games, which would make the game company earn even more money (although nowdays it doesn't really make sense, as emulators and game-roms are flying everywhere in the internet)

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Remakes are being made for money obviously, but another reason is to bring things which were imo purposely missing in originals, for example Sevii Islands, Safari Zone in Johto.
    R/S/E are capable of having many things given in remakes: Dream World machine developed in Devon, rocket launching cutscene and Jirachi event in Space Center and Deoxys event in Meteor Falls. For D/P/Pt, I don't see much what can be added in those games' remakes, therefore I'm not sure if those games are planned to be remade.

Back