• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

El Tlatolli

Xolotl

The Patriarch of the Nahuatan
    Years
    I think I'll start writing a fanfic to put here on the PC.
    First I'll need suggestions for a story and characters, I'll take it from there.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Eh, you wanting people to supply ideas for a story and the characters as well is, to put it bluntly, lazy. :/

After all, it'll be simply you expanding on the basis of some characters, and using someone elses idea. Instead of this, why not come up with some ideas of your own? Have a brainstorming session - think what kind of a story you'd be interesting in writing. A comedy? Tragedy? Action? And what format? One-shot, or chaptered?

Or, let the ideas come to you. Go and have a look around - maybe there's a Pokemon you'd want to write about? Look at serebii.net's dex entry for it, and maybe it'll inspire something for you.

Another thing you can do is also read fanfics around here as well (while trying to get some diversity in them as well), and perhaps you'll have some ideas stemming from those. Would also help you in terms of writing - you might find aspects of a writer's style of writing that appeals to you. Looking at fanart could also work, I guess. Of course, there is no one sole way for getting ideas for a story or characters, but playing around with ideas in your head can usually work, then writing them down.

But my advice in general is to write something that you'd like to do, rather then something suggest by other people. You'll have more fun that way, IMO.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    o_____________O

So you're looking for people to give you a plot and the characters, and you'll write the story.

Right.

You know, it's way much more fun and interesting to come up with your own characters, stick them in your own plot, and write from there.

Why would people give you the characters they come up with, the plot they come up with, and sit back and watch you write it?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I know. I'm a terrible person for this.

Potential character:

Name: Sora Tranquility Crystal Mary Susan Hikari Tsukino
    Appearance: Long, dark purple tresses that reach halfway down her back; eyes the color of rubies; tall, thin body; milk-white, perfect skin; well-endowed chest. Usually wears a very short, black miniskirt; a black band t-shirt; spiked bracelets; military boots; and a strange amulet around her neck. There's also a strange birthmark on her arm that looks like a crescent moon. She is, naturally, extraordinarily beautiful.
    Personality: Brave and courageous, Sora is the kindest person you'll ever meet (even though she is incredibly goth). No, seriously. She will stop by the side of the road and help Pokemon that were injured by attempted natural selection. She's just that pure-hearted.
    History: Born when a comet passed over Earth, Sora grew up pretty much on her own because both her parents died in a mysterious accident and the aunt she went to live with never really liked her. After years and years of doing chores for this woman (and being denied to go and obtain her trainer's license at 10 -- not that she would have anyway, what with her desire to stay at home and prepare for being a trainer at a special Pokemon school in town, and who would honestly trust a ten-year-old to be out in the world on their own anyway?), Sora finally decided to get her trainer's license on her sixteenth birthday. Unfortunately, she also overslept that day and came running to the house of the local professor, Professor Pine. Unfortunately, Pine informed her that he was all out of the traditional starters, so instead, he gave her a special Poke Ball containing a very special Pokemon: shiny Eevee.

So, Sora began her journey, skipping down the route outside of town until she heard a distressed cry nearby. Going to investigate, she found an injured Mew lying in the grass. Unable to resist the temptation to help it, she picked it up and immediately ran to the nearest Pokemon Center. Naturally, Nurse Joy was not at all surprised by this Pokemon (even though it's a legendary), and Sora got to keep it after it was healed. Hence, the beginning of her trainer's journey.

Eventually, she learns that she's actually part of a prophecy where she uses the magical, mysterious amulet given to her by her parents to harness the power of the legendaries, gain special psychic abilities, and save the world from destruction at the hands of the evil Team Helicopter.
    Team: Shiny Eevee/Espeon (nicknamed Neko, female), Mew (nicknamed Hoshi, female), Blastoise (Nami, female), Charizard (Ryu, male), Umbreon (Kuroi, male), Pikachu (Nezu, female), numbers of others with Professor Pine.
    Other Things To Know: She's a powerful psychic and has amazing fighting abilities. Also, she has an incredible singing voice.

And that, folks, is why you never ask for characters in this fandom. I speak from experience.

Edit: No, seriously. It's very unfortunate that it happens like that, but that's basically what you get.

Other than that, I'll just have to second what's already been said. My advice is try writing down whatever comes into your head on a blank sheet of paper. Listen to music. Take a walk. Inspiration will come to you after awhile. You just have to be patient and actively look for it.

Or you can take the above and run with it. It'd be hilarious if someone did.

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I tend to find the inspiration for my stories - believe it or not - in bed.

Or, you could take one of the existing characters and build upon them, like a Character of the Day.

Alternatively, you can use a character with little to no inside information and work from there - show how they got to where they were. (Not Ash. Anybody but Ash.)

Sometimes thinking about Pokémon in general will help. Or maybe reading other fanfiction, checking out dA, or even playing the games or flipping through a game guide might help you with your story. Listen to music, read books, watch television, sit with your head under your pillow... the possibilities are endless.

Do anything you want to. Just don't ask other people to do it for you.

Back