• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

How would you rate it?

• ★★★★★

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • ★★★★

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • ★★★

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ★★

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
Years
  • I am an argonian for many reasons. One reason is the water breathing trait is useful. I was the same race in Oblivion because of the amount of swimming you had to do for quests. It also looked more interesting out of the other races, and my friend told me that argonians were amazing thieves in Oblivion and at the time, I wanted to create a pure thief character so I followed his advice. I don't really know why only a few people use argonians, but whatever that's their problem. :P

I've decided to post a picture of my Argonian with my HD graphics mod on my PC. The armor set I have on is a full Dragon Scale set and it has a texture mod that makes it look a lot better. Oh by the way I have a pet white wolf! :D
    Spoiler:

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • HAW MAH GAWD!?>)!^&#@

He looks amazing. Too bad I'm getting it on PS3, no HD graphics and screenshots for me. Oh well. I was thinking later when I get a good computer I might buy it on PC as well, when the modding really gets going and stuff.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
  • FAS RO DA!! That is all.

Naww just kidding alright. I'm pretty much a rich and over powered in the game when set to the lowest difficulty. Loving the Solitude house-armor glitch thing. It helped me get close to 90k. Man, I so regret killing that
    Spoiler:

But other then that beat the main quest. And let me disappointed kind of short. But theirs more quest to do.

But I hope Bethesda releases a DLC soon, I'm getting bored of the game. And the DLC better not be horse armor, again. But somewhat another region of Tamreil or better, crafting other things like arrows, salt (so difficult finding some now a days) and more quests.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Man, I so regret killing that
    Spoiler:

I haven't done that part of the main quest yet, but when it comes up I intend not to because I really have a soft spot for that guy.
    Spoiler:

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years

• I haven't done that part of the main quest yet, but when it comes up I intend not to because I really have a soft spot for that guy.
    Spoiler:

He'll teach you more shouts, soooo yea, killing him is no no. lol He has to be starving up there, unless he never gets hungry some how. And doubt the greybeards can feed a million year old dragon. And his voice sound sooo amazing. Like its hard to describe it. I wish I had his voice, id be awesome!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    DLC [...] crafting other things like arrows, salt
    You want them to sell you that kind of thing‽
    That's the sort of feature they should add freely in updates, as the objects concerned are already in the game.

Last edited:

Blazivoir

Fire Breather
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2011
    Love it, skyrim is by far my personal game of the year with dark souls coming close second.
    My character is a lv 37 kajiit and mainly uses bows, completed all main and daedric quests just doing side quests atm.
    Just completed the forsworn conspiracy and the end glitched and I ended up killing the entire city of marakath so now i'm on the run

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Wait, there's Keening in Skyrim? Dang, gotta look out for it.

Keening is just a collector's item in Skyrim, imho. It's horrible.

Just a little word of advice, magic in Skyrim is kind of weak. I don't think Bethesda balanced magic yet, but most spells end up taking too much magicka and doing too little damage, or just taking up too much magicka in general, which is one of the reasons why I never use magic, even though I have plenty of spells to cast. Thieves are awesome though, which is why my Argonian character was based on a hybrid thief character.

Dude, no way. I haven't had a single problem with casting magic spells and wrecking and I'm level 51 right now. This is including before I got my dual enchants, which tbh completely break magic (but not even close to the extent that everything else is broken). The trick is to have a nice balance between +Magicka and Fortify enchants to increase your pool, knowing when to dual cast, and knowing when to swap your spells.

For the most part, Fire spells are your bread and butter--it seems 75% of all the mobs with a magic weakness are weak to fire. Good tactics include micro, alongside Impact Firebolt if you've got the opening, but also swapping to Fireball if you have to worry about dodging 3+ Draugr Death Overlord and you can't afford the miss. Later on, when you get Incinerate, you can often one-shot mid-level mobs and severely cripple the stronger ones with a dual-cast. Mine costs 34 Magicka right now, so it's not really too big of a deal to spam (running off a pool of 600); Fireball is free.

Also, a trick to know is that dual casting is Magicka inefficient (poor Magicka per damage ratio), so the best thing to do is Impact stun the foe and then cast two normal casts ASAP. It's easy to do this by just staggering your mouse clicks by a half second. You can also try to barrage a foe by wielding two spells in either hand and pressing your mouse as soon as you release one missile. I can fire a spell about every 0.66 seconds, which is more than enough to kill an Ancient Dragon before it takes off (take that, Dragonrend).

Plus, Become Ethereal + Fire Storm makes for some really amusing effects.

This is NOT to say that magic is actually better than weapons though. All weapons, save bare hand, in Skyrim are a bit ridiculous at the end of the game (my 1H weapon does 26+41fire+41ice damage a swing and I'm a mage; I've seen bows get to 300+ damage a shot without glitches, about a trillion per shot with glitches). Magic stays at constant damage--which might be seen as a downfall, but actually makes the game more fun to play when you need to put more work into killing stronger monsters).

You have to worry about a lot of things playing as a mage:
    • Location of enemies and what weapons they're using. I can tank a sword-and-shield user quite well, but high-end dual-wielders pose a huge problem. 2H users swing slowly, so Impact trolls them. You're extremely squishy so you need to worry about this more than any other class.
    • What spell to use when--Fireball will harm your minions / followers, but offers better AoE; Firebolt is virtually free, but doesn't hit hard; Incinerate costs a fortune at lower levels--what element I should use (Ice spells versus melee, Storm versus mage; consider missile speeds--Storm is near instant while Ice is painstakingly slow)
    • Order of kill--while Archers are extremely susceptible to magic attacks, they might be too far or too well guarded to take out. Magic does well to either pick off weaker enemies or focus on the stronger ones and beat the weaker ones out of collateral damage.
    • Micro versus casting--learning to aim while moving, especially versus multiple enemies who can potentially one- or two-shot you.
    • Not letting your Magicka pool run out--minding the approximate amount for you to cast your strongest healing spell and not letting your Magicka fall below that amount.
    • Ironflesh, Ironflesh, Ironflesh.
    • Hotkeys, hotkeys, hotkeys--make it so much easier to swap spells.
    • If you're more skilled than I am, using Ward spells to block spells and arrows last minute (though, I find a good offense is better than a good defense).
    • Shouts--since you're so squishy, you probably rely on shouts more than other classes. Become Ethereal, Whirlwind Sprint, Unrelenting Force, and Slow Time are all fantastic additions to a mage's arsenal.
    tl;dr -- Magic is really fun to play. It's actually the most balanced of all the playstyles, since you can't scale the damage up like weapons (Bows are completely overpowered). However, it takes a high level of adaptability, attention, and speed to play well. As you progress through levels, the game gets harder--like it's meant to be.

Yeah I won't be using much magic, maybe just some illusion and restoration when I need it. I will be mostly thief/assasin. Good to see someone else is using Argonian, dosen't seem to be many people that like them or use them.

Restoration's pretty much moot later on if you haven't the Magicka pool. You'll probably be able to pull off one good heal before you're spent. Sometimes that's all that's needed, but you'll probably be chugging potions a lot too.

I've never run Illusion personally, but it seems like it requires a lot of dedication to make it effective and the spells become progressively more and more useless as you go on. Not sure how it'd play in to an Assassin playstyle. The Master-level is great, though.

- - - - -

Anyway, I'm nearing the end of my Skyrim playtime and I'm considering playing another character just for the carnage. I'm considering the following; tell me what you think:
    • Unarmed fighter with just Shouts, Wards + Mage Armor, a pair of Ragged Trousers, Heavy Armor Gauntlets (Fists of Steel perk) and jewelry. No other spells or armor permitted.
    • Heavy armor hammer wielder plus Storm magic--hello Thor.
    • Archer that only uses Bound Bow trololo.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Anyway, I'm nearing the end of my Skyrim playtime and I'm considering playing another character just for the carnage. I'm considering the following; tell me what you think:
    • Unarmed fighter with just Shouts, Wards + Mage Armor, a pair of Ragged Trousers, Heavy Armor Gauntlets (Fists of Steel perk) and jewelry. No other spells or armor permitted.
    • Heavy armor hammer wielder plus Storm magic--hello Thor.
    • Archer that only uses Bound Bow trololo.

Have you seen the video where they showed how to do a great unarmed character? It's pretty hilarious and made my bf want to do an unarmed even though he loves his character.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years

• Have you seen the video where they showed how to do a great unarmed character? It's pretty hilarious and made my bf want to do an unarmed even though he loves his character.

lol I haven't seen it, but someone else told me about it after I told them about my idea. I just wanted to play a monk character with the only pants armor in the game XD

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
  • I made an second file and im going all out evil on it. Join the stormcloaks, join brother hood and Thieves Guild, Kill the Companions, become an vampire. Have a 1000 gold bounty in all 9 Holds. Oh yea and kills the grey beards then the good dragon. Betray the Blades. Kill my lackeys except for one. But do everything bad and be -insert Mermaid Man voice- E.V.I.L!!

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • I made an second file and im going all out evil on it. Join the stormcloaks, join brother hood and Thieves Guild, Kill the Companions, become an vampire. Have a 1000 gold bounty in all 9 Holds. Oh yea and kills the grey beards then the good dragon. Betray the Blades. Kill my lackeys except for one. But do everything bad and be -insert Mermaid Man voice- E.V.I.L!!

lol The Stormcloaks and Thieves Guild are good guys. Pretty sure the Companions are marked-essential (and therefore immortal) and getting 1000 gold bounty is pretty easy--just kill anyone in broad daylight.

Vampirism might be a fun play, though. You'll need to run Illusion (and probably be Imperial for the Voice of the Emperor) just so you can talk to NPCs without them attacking you on sight. Hold out on the Greybeards, though. They can one-shot you with their shout even at the higher levels.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • My sister has just gotten this game as a gift, and she likes it so far, but there's one problem: her arachnophobia. She has trouble playing games with spiders in it, and this game is one of them. She found a mod online that replaces spiders, but her PS3 isn't hacked and can't apply that (yet). I recommend she kills them as soon as she sees them, but apparently, she can't even do that. Any ideas on helping an arachnophobic play?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • My sister has just gotten this game as a gift, and she likes it so far, but there's one problem: her arachnophobia. She has trouble playing games with spiders in it, and this game is one of them. She found a mod online that replaces spiders, but her PS3 isn't hacked and can't apply that (yet). I recommend she kills them as soon as she sees them, but apparently, she can't even do that. Any ideas on helping an arachnophobic play?

Get a follower and use them to fight spiders. That, or, just kill those thing quick. They have possibly the least HP of all the monsters. Except, uh, that giant spider you encounter in the first dungeon.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
  • lol The Stormcloaks and Thieves Guild are good guys. Pretty sure the Companions are marked-essential (and therefore immortal) and getting 1000 gold bounty is pretty easy--just kill anyone in broad daylight.

Vampirism might be a fun play, though. You'll need to run Illusion (and probably be Imperial for the Voice of the Emperor) just so you can talk to NPCs without them attacking you on sight. Hold out on the Greybeards, though. They can one-shot you with their shout even at the higher levels.

I have a good reason to join Stormcloaks. This is the main reason why, Emperials tried to chop off my head! Alduin technically saved my life, soooo I owe him. And if I'm a full blown vampire and enter any city even without the bounty on my head, in broad day light. I'll be attack like Bin Laden. They want me dead at all cost !Trust me I tried, I had to use the thunder storm shout to push back the waves, of people who want to cut my face off.

And the Greybeard...that doesn't scare me. I'll kill the good dragon, save then attack the greybeards. But I need to be OP to do that -.-''

Years
  • Vampirism might be a fun play...

It... isn't! D:

I, unknowingly, contracted vampirism and only noticed when I was in stage one and stepped outside, to which my skin was burnt and nothing could regenerate. I raged SO HARD.

I found out you could cure it blah blah. So did all that and I was told I had to go to this place at dawn. Did that, went there at dawn and waited till the dude arrived. I spoke to him and as I was doing this, I became a full vampire. He finishes what he is saying and before he performs the ritual, HE ATTACKS ME! D:

I hate being a Vampire. I had to go back to auto saves and feed on someone to subdue it before I could complete the stupid quest.​

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • I have a good reason to join Stormcloaks. This is the main reason why, Emperials tried to chop off my head! Alduin technically saved my life, soooo I owe him. And if I'm a full blown vampire and enter any city even without the bounty on my head, in broad day light. I'll be attack like Bin Laden. They want me dead at all cost !Trust me I tried, I had to use the thunder storm shout to push back the waves, of people who want to cut my face off.

And the Greybeard...that doesn't scare me. I'll kill the good dragon, save then attack the greybeards. But I need to be OP to do that -.-''

But the Stormcloaks just want to use you! And you get no respect from them until the very end :(

Yeah, that's the part of Vampirism that's fun. It makes the game so difficult. You can only talk to NPCs if you cast Calm or Vampiric Seduction on them. That's why I suggested playing Imperial (not the Imperial Legion) for their racial ability for another calm effect.

On another note, guards are not even that strong trololo

It... isn't! D:

I, unknowingly, contracted vampirism and only noticed when I was in stage one and stepped outside, to which my skin was burnt and nothing could regenerate. I raged SO HARD.

I found out you could cure it blah blah. So did all that and I was told I had to go to this place at dawn. Did that, went there at dawn and waited till the dude arrived. I spoke to him and as I was doing this, I became a full vampire. He finishes what he is saying and before he performs the ritual, HE ATTACKS ME! D:

I hate being a Vampire. I had to go back to auto saves and feed on someone to subdue it before I could complete the stupid quest.​

Yeah, hahaha, that's exactly what I was talking about. It's like playing the game on Ultra-Master difficulty. You get a few cool spells and immunity to Frost, but you take double Fire damage, can't stand sunlight, and become instant kill target for anyone and everyone. You're forced to master Illusion spells and Sneak.

Years
  • Yeah, hahaha, that's exactly what I was talking about. It's like playing the game on Ultra-Master difficulty. You get a few cool spells and immunity to Frost, but you take double Fire damage, can't stand sunlight, and become instant kill target for anyone and everyone. You're forced to master Illusion spells and Sneak.

I already play it on master difficulty, I didn't need more people trying to kill me.

I think it is really rubbish, personally the cons crush the pros. However, everyone is different and the cons crush my characters abilities so...​

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • I already play it on master difficulty, I didn't need more people trying to kill me.

I think it is really rubbish, personally the cons crush the pros. However, everyone is different and the cons crush my characters abilities so...​

Oh, lol, there basically are no pros. You'll get grilled by the lowest level (fire) dragons and everything will be inconvenient to you. Plus, you need to decrease your game time just to prowl during the night and feed so you don't go insane. I think I'm going to try it next time, though lolol

Years
  • It is just annoying really. The fact your MAIN ENEMY BREATHS FIRE is just stupid.
    However, the anti-frost is good since getting hit by anything ice is just bloody annoying since it slows you down till you can't walk.​

Back