• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Elderly chap playing Pokemon Yellow

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Ran across this image today of an elderly chap playing Pokemon Yellow on his Gameboy Advance.

https://i.imgur.com/KkFsx.jpg

More commonly we are seeing adults, and even elderly people playing Pokemon games.

Is Pokemon being seen these days by more people as less a game for children and more a game that can be enjoyed by all? If so, why is this the case and what do you think drew the interest of older gamers to the series?

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • To me, Pokemon is and always has been a game that anyone can enjoy. It really is a universal. As long as it can put a smile on the face of the person playing it, age shouldn't even be a factor.

Elderly folks playing Pokemon is probably down to their own children and grandchildren having introduced them to it, thus resulting in them buying the older games from a second hand shop or a car boot sale when they recognise the Pokemon logo.

Years
  • I agree. To me, Pokemon is a game that can appeal to people of all age. It has all kinds of monsters, so everyone can choose the ones they like best. It has competitions, ingame and against other players. Younger children can enjoy just battling with their Pokemon, exploring the different regions and playing through the story and older people might have fun in raising their Pokemon with great care, giving them EV-training, playing with tactic.
    The Pokemon games have just so many different aspects in them that anyone can enjoy playing them.

(Though it does look a little strange seeing the picture. Probably because I just can't see my grandpa playing with a gameboy. ^^)

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • How can you be sure that the game wasn't Donkey Kong?

Well, games aren't really age restricted. Maybe that person is just a fan of games, and happened to replay one of his older Pokemon games.

soulavenger

A Keen Observer
    Years
  • The game offers different things to different people.Some may like to just fight their way through the game,while others employ strategies to win it all,some compete to completer d pokedex while others just want to raise a few pokemon of their liking and explore d world.

It is this versatility of the game that makes it a fun and exciting prospect for people f every agegroup.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • There's something you don't see every day! I like to think that the gaming side of Pokemon is more aimed at the older/adult generation rather than the younger generation in this modern day.

Back