• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Electivire or Magmortar?

Electivire or Magmortar?

• Electivire

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • Magmortar

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    Typos in the " " are intentional

Electivire is an overrated, underserving-of-OU piece of garbage. Magmotar is an awesome Pokemon and a threat to any team with it's huge, beautiful movepool coupled with a beastly SpA stat.

I know I'll probably be like a stick in the mud for asking this, but would you care to share your general opinion on their looks, as well, over their "z0mg, 1337 awsumness in Competitive Play!"? I personally think that this is one of the things that the thread creator also wished to find out from us...

That, and a fair number of people have also made discussion on their looks, over their "power".

Detox

Because Magmortar looks like majin buu from DBZ and Electrivire looks like.......well its just ugly.Lets leave it at that.....

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I know I'll probably be like a stick in the mud for asking this, but would you care to share your general opinion on their looks, as well, over their "z0mg, 1337 awsumness in Competitive Play!"? I personally think that this is one of the things that the thread creator also wished to find out from us...

That, and a fair number of people have also made discussion on their looks, over their "power".

This was in the D/P Battling Section, so this is an example of why should think before making a post. Or else you look clueless.

Electivire looks ugly, Magmortar actually looks pretty decent, albeit strange.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years

I don't care for looks. My love for Pokemon comes from their inner strength- something a trainer who judges on looks could never understand. >:(

jirachistar

Kirby Lover
    Years
    I prefer Magmortar but not for its looks or for battles! It's wonderful ability makes my eggs hatch faster, and I'm more of a breeder anyway.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    I choose Magmortar for several reasons.

You see lately I've been working on a tier list, just a fun, innocent little project kind of making fun of the current tier system in place. I made a new tier and here it is pasted from my wordpad file:

"RoD (Result of Dare) - This tier is comprised of pokemon that were created by some guy at Nintendo going "Hey Mike, I dare you to make a pokemon that my 4-year-old could beat in a pokemon battle!" and they followed through with those dares, and made sure to give us some of the worst pokemon ever. EVER. The tier name could also be interpreted as "These pokemon are so bad you can only catch them on an Old RoD."

Ditto
    Electivire
    Magikarp
    Sunkern
    Unown"

Yeah, Electivire is THAT bad. Walled by everything and overrated like never before.

The other reason is the Magmortar is a cool pokemon who is pretty decent. He didn't totally kill the pokemon that came before him, unlike Electivire who sucked all of the cool points out of Electabuzz just like that T_T

[/Electivire hate]

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2008
    There's a much easier way to settle the old "Electivire vs Magmar" debate.

It's simple. Pick a rock type pokemon, such as Golem. Ask yourself: "Will Electivire's Thunderpunch destroy it in one hit? Will Magmortar's Smokescreen send it flying?"

If the answer is "no" to any of these questions, then the winner is easily Huntail.

Kerotan

Gwo. Wuggo-wuggo.
    Years
    Electivires are sooo overrated...
    I booted Electivire off my Competetive team, because he wasn't what he was shaped up to be. I chose Him however, because I thought he looked better.
    I really regret not choosing 'neither' because I really don't favor either, and looks don't matter. And because both of their first evolutions annoyed the crap out of me in Mystery Dungeon. ^_^

Brawling Cookie, we don't really care about Huntail, because he has nothing to do with this thread.
    And just because they are Electric and Fire types, doesn't mean they only know moves of that type.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    There's a much easier way to settle the old "Electivire vs Magmar" debate.

It's simple. Pick a rock type pokemon, such as Golem. Ask yourself: "Will Electivire's Thunderpunch destroy it in one hit? Will Magmortar's Smokescreen send it flying?"

If the answer is "no" to any of these questions, then the winner is easily Huntail.

Uh...Golem is a ground type. So Thunderpunch won't even affect it. Secondly, why would Magmortar have Smokescreen as his default attack? More like Overheat, which can do a hefty chunk to Golem.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    This was in the D/P Battling Section, so this is an example of why should think before making a post. Or else you look clueless.

No, because there was no indication of where it had previously been, when I saw the thread. Seeing it in Pokemon General made me believe it to be a question with multiple answers; both for those who greatly care about competitive play and those otherwise. I'd normally apologise for my blunder, but I'll not bother, with the reaction it sparked from you. Fine; it used to be in D/P Battling. But if you'll notice, I rarely; if at all, go to that section. I saw it had been moved, but with that, I assumed it was from the main D/P/P section, which is usually where most of these threads end up coming from.

But I'll leave it at that.

@ aircon: Oh, I respect that people prefer looking at a Pokemon's strengths, over their looks. Its just that I had the feeling the thread wasn't just about how people liked them in competitive play. Whereas I do like good, strong Pokemon, I also like Pokemon that look good. The reality of my previous post was from me being such a nosey person. XD

@ jirachistar: Yeah; Flame Body and Magma Armor can be really handy abilities, when you're trying to hatch an egg, such as for a Happiny or Eevee. Those eggs take ridiculously long to hatch... x_x;; I personally have a little Slugma on standby, for when I have eggs to hatch. Just one I transferred from Sapphire. XD

@ ToasterKing2000: Elekid really annoyed me, in Mystery Dungeon, as well. XD They're in abundance in some of the dungeons, and I really hated having to wade through all the Elekid, to get to where I wanted to go... >>;; Couple that with Screech, and a really strong Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon, in a Monster House full of Screechers, isn't good. I got a little careless, and accidentally had that happen to me, once... ^^;; Though that time, it was Arbok, over Elekid.

I've never had trouble with Magby, though.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    No, because there was no indication of where it had previously been, when I saw the thread. Seeing it in Pokemon General made me believe it to be a question with multiple answers; both for those who greatly care about competitive play and those otherwise. I'd normally apologise for my blunder, but I'll not bother, with the reaction it sparked from you. Fine; it used to be in D/P Battling. But if you'll notice, I rarely; if at all, go to that section. I saw it had been moved, but with that, I assumed it was from the main D/P/P section, which is usually where most of these threads end up coming from.

But I'll leave it at that.

@ aircon: Oh, I respect that people prefer looking at a Pokemon's strengths, over their looks. Its just that I had the feeling the thread wasn't just about how people liked them in competitive play. Whereas I do like good, strong Pokemon, I also like Pokemon that look good. The reality of my previous post was from me being such a nosey person. XD

@ jirachistar: Yeah; Flame Body and Magma Armor can be really handy abilities, when you're trying to hatch an egg, such as for a Happiny or Eevee. Those eggs take ridiculously long to hatch... x_x;; I personally have a little Slugma on standby, for when I have eggs to hatch. Just one I transferred from Sapphire. XD

@ ToasterKing2000: Elekid really annoyed me, in Mystery Dungeon, as well. XD They're in abundance in some of the dungeons, and I really hated having to wade through all the Elekid, to get to where I wanted to go... >>;; Couple that with Screech, and a really strong Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon, in a Monster House full of Screechers, isn't good. I got a little careless, and accidentally had that happen to me, once... ^^;; Though that time, it was Arbok, over Elekid.

I've never had trouble with Magby, though.

You're attitute makes me laugh. I don't care if you apologize. I'm not here for that. You were wrong, and you called me out while being wrong. And I don't care if you don't go to that section; it has no relevance to the topic. If you aren't interested in competative Pokemon battling, fine by me. Just don't push you're own "rules" on me next time.

kazuya.

Ev'rybody Alright!
    Years
    I'm not good at competitive plays but this is my point of view.

Look-wise, no. I prefer none.

But when it comes to their stats distribution, I would rather pick Magmotar. It has high special attack stats to support its versatile special attack movepool (e.g. Psychic, STAB-bed Flamethrower, Thunderbolt), but Electivire basically gives up its special attack STAB (e.g. Thunderbolt) with Ice Punch, Karate Chop and Earthquake since it has higher attack stat. Just to compare, a max-ed EV modest Magmotar would yield a better damage with Flamethrower than a max-ed EV adamant Electivire with Thunderpunch.

Of course Electivire is a good choice for sweeping with super-effectiveness, but hey, a Magmotar with Hidden Power [Ice] would not be bad either, given that it has the correct nature and versatile movepool.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :D It's always nice to have someone points out my errors and makes me a better competitive player.

But to me, Electabuzz > Magmator > Electivire. XD

SilverLightning

The Lightning Beast.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2008
    Electivire because he can use all 4 punches and is OU and is more powerful than dumb Magmortar who has fat lips and a big belly that likes like.. well it's very inappropriate!

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2008
    I would pick Electivire...he is just very powerful and an excellent Electric Pokemon to have on a team.

Back