• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Electric Shock Showdown" Episode Discussion

Years
  • Here is where you can discuss the Vermilion Gym's power unleashed in "Electric Shock Showdown."

My review to come forthwith.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Brilliant episode! I love this episode so much. IMO, it is THE best battle in Kanto (yup, better than Charizard vs Magmar) because Ash really has to think of a stragety to beat him for the first time. Team Roket were hilarious supprting Ash and Pikachu and a very convining win.

Of course, this had the infamous "goddamn" in Japanese

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Brilliant episode! I love this episode so much. IMO, it is THE best battle in Kanto (yup, better than Charizard vs Magmar) because Ash really has to think of a stragety to beat him for the first time. Team Roket were hilarious supprting Ash and Pikachu and a very convining win.

Err... I'm not exactly sure about that. I mean, yeah, sure, Ash utilized the fact that Raichu can't catch Pikachu to his advantage, but, then again, that wasn't actually HIS idea, that was Brock's idea alone. All Ash did was utilize the Idea.

Also, the win wasn't exactly "convincing". I mean, yes, he did tucker out Surge's Raichu, and drain it out of it's enegy, But Ash and Pikachu technically cheated in that match. I mean, Pikachu was kinda knocked out of the ring (In the scene where Pikachu was revealed to have grounded Raichu's thunderbolt, it was attached to a wall, which was outside of the ring.), which would disqualify Pikachu from the match, yet it re-entered anyways, so I really wouldn't label it as a terrific battle.

It's a good battle, no doubt, but still, not the overly-terrific battle that everyone seems to claim it as.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Also, the win wasn't exactly "convincing". I mean, yes, he did tucker out Surge's Raichu, and drain it out of it's enegy, But Ash and Pikachu technically cheated in that match. I mean, Pikachu was kinda knocked out of the ring (In the scene where Pikachu was revealed to have grounded Raichu's thunderbolt, it was attached to a wall, which was outside of the ring.), which would disqualify Pikachu from the match, yet it re-entered anyways, so I really wouldn't label it as a terrific battle.

I thought about that, too. Although, the semantics argument wouldn't be used until Blaine, as Jorah mentioned.

I think people liked the battle, as it was an actual battle -- not like the non-wins the previous two Gyms were. Plus, the use of tactics as that would be more useful in the anime world than in the games (to a degree). Agility makes you faster; it doesn't up the evasion factor.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Err... I'm not exactly sure about that. I mean, yeah, sure, Ash utilized the fact that Raichu can't catch Pikachu to his advantage, but, then again, that wasn't actually HIS idea, that was Brock's idea alone. All Ash did was utilize the Idea.

Ash used some kind of stragety (I can't spell that word, sorry), which is more than can be said for 98% of the rest of Kanto battles. Brilliant battle, whether he came up with it himself or not. Although, it can be use as more evidence as to why Ash did NOT deserve to get as far as he did his 1st league

Also, the win wasn't exactly "convincing". I mean, yes, he did tucker out Surge's Raichu, and drain it out of it's enegy, But Ash and Pikachu technically cheated in that match. I mean, Pikachu was kinda knocked out of the ring (In the scene where Pikachu was revealed to have grounded Raichu's thunderbolt, it was attached to a wall, which was outside of the ring.), which would disqualify Pikachu from the match, yet it re-entered anyways, so I really wouldn't label it as a terrific battle.

Pikachu never left the ring, it stood on it's tail.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Pikachu never left the ring, it stood on it's tail.

Yes, It did get knocked out of the ring. If you want proof, I'll give it to you (However, to find a good screencap that is both of good quality and is actually transferable to a forum will take some time.). until I can find a good website that has these images (NOT serebii.net, since I can't actually get episode pictures from there), all I can tell you is that the place Pikachu was at was a crater in the wall, it was on it, and the way they panned the shot made it seem as though it IS on the wall.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    It was on the floor, not a wall

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • This was one the better episodes in Kanto, certainly one of the better battles. But the remake in Sinnoh "Pika vs Goliath" was better IMO. But that takes nothing away from this episode. Plus, this the first, maybe only, time that one of the twerps saw through a Team Rocket get-up.

Rating: 8/10

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    This was one the better episodes in Kanto, certainly one of the better battles. But the remake in Sinnoh "Pika vs Goliath" was better IMO. But that takes nothing away from this episode. Plus, this the first, maybe only, time that one of the twerps saw through a Team Rocket get-up.

Rating: 8/10

It's not the only time the original twerps saw through the get-up. Misty saw through Jessie's disguise in "The Heartbreak of Brock", thus in effect foiling TR's attempt of scamming Temaku and her father of their pokemon.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Also the random people in Holy Matrimony when Meowth and Jessie were disguised.

Years
  • Alright, let's move on, as we can discuss the main characters' inability to discern disguises in other threads.

Anyone notice Surge's flunkies? I wonder what their story is. I'm particularly curious on the woman, as you don't normally see such a harsh-looking female Trainer, well, not for a while, anyway (unless she's not a Trainer, since she didn't speak, I believe).

I need caps. Heh. Off I go to the apt thread.

Back