• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) Discussion Thread

Years
  • I am still sceptical about the Wii U. I don't see how Nintendo can jump from a horrible, no support, console to one that will stand side by side with the big dogs. Though, the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft have to be around the corner; Microsoft first.​

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I am still sceptical about the Wii U. I don't see how Nintendo can jump from a horrible, no support, console to one that will stand side by side with the big dogs. Though, the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft have to be around the corner; Microsoft first.​

Ironically, the horrible console that can't get close to the big dogs has been the biggest seller and has produced the possibly two best games in the generation, so it's hard to think that Nintendo will just make another PS360-2 and lose the personality that has made them go back to the top after two disappointing generations in which, despite having some of the most powerful machines, were defeated by Sony's worse-but-multimedia systems. At this point, I see Nintendo and MicroSony as complements- one brand for their wonderful first games and either of the other two for their third party games. And that's the reason why Nintendo have outsold their rivals this time- they have managed to create an actual personality for their console instead of being the same thing their competitors are selling.

I personally would be happy with a decent online and HD graphics, I don't really need hyperrealistic 3D, 80-frames-per-second ones as long as the games are good enough. Wind Waker is one of the games whose graphics I still consider beautiful despite being 10 years old.

Either way, tonight at 11PM UK time, there is going to be a Nintendo Direct event unveiling the WiiU system. The games are in store for the Tuesday conference.

Last edited:
    Years

• Ironically, the horrible console that can't get close to the big dogs has been the biggest seller and has produced the possibly two best games in the generation, so it's hard to think that Nintendo will just make another PS360-2 and lose the personality that has made them go back to the top after two disappointing generations in which, despite having some of the most powerful machines, were defeated by Sony's worse-but-multimedia systems. At this point, I see Nintendo and MicroSony as complements- one brand for their wonderful first games and either of the other two for their third party games. And that's the reason why Nintendo have outsold their rivals this time- they have managed to create an actual personality for their console instead of being the same thing their competitors are selling.

I personally would be happy with a decent online and HD graphics, I don't really need hyperrealistic 3D, 80-frames-per-second ones as long as the games are good enough. Wind Waker is one of the games whose graphics I still consider beautiful despite being 10 years old.

Either way, tonight at 11PM UK time, there is going to be a Nintendo Direct event unveiling the WiiU system. The games are in store for the Tuesday conference.

Yeh, I know that; it appealed to a bigger audience, just not 'hardcore gamers'.

It will be interesting to see an official announcement. :3​

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I would think just by releasing an adequate console? That's what brings developers over. Nintendo is in the same boat now that Sony and Microsoft were when they were releasing the PS3 and 360. Developers didn't go "Well, your last system was horrible in comparison to this. We can't support it"

Years
  • Well that promo video was cringe worthy. If anyone didn't see it, search for it where this guy is trying to kill some zombie boss monster... dear God.

So far, nothing has impressed me about it but very early days yet.​

Years
  • So buying the Wii U at launch.

Really? Already you have decided that?

Maybe it is just me and having already given up on Nintendo, but I didn't see anything from that pre-show to make me want to buy it. But it is exactly that, a pre-show. They aren't going to show it off just yet. Anyway, I will wait and see what it is like in the actual show, but meh.​

Years
  • Really? Already you have decided that?

Maybe it is just me and having already given up on Nintendo, but I didn't see anything from that pre-show to make me want to buy it. But it is exactly that, a pre-show. They aren't going to show it off just yet. Anyway, I will wait and see what it is like in the actual show, but meh.​

Well I'm a huge Nintendo fan and sadly the PS3/PSP was a major disappoint for me. So doubt I'll get a Vita and the soon to come PS4.

Years
  • Fair enough! I wasn't having a go or shooting down your excitement, was just interested to see. I thought I might be missing something! XD

However, I am still interested to know about the hardware side and just more about it; so many rumors flying around.​

Years
  • Fair enough! I wasn't having a go or shooting down your excitement, was just interested to see. I thought I might be missing something! XD

However, I am still interested to know about the hardware side and just more about it; so many rumors flying around.​

TBH I think this past gen was not the best for home consoles. Sony,Wii and Microsoft seemed to only have only a handful of good games compared to other generations. However I loved the DS.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • That video in the Nintendo prE-3 conference was so painful to watch. I'm a big Nintendo apologist and even I couldn't rationalist the production values and the writing on that steaming pile of turd. It'll certainly be interesting to see the main conference on Tuesday to see how everything works on a semi-practical level with the Wii U.

Years
  • I had no idea it was E3 time of year again.

I was hoping for Nintendo's sake that they would drop their plans for the controller, but alas no luck. If this doesn't disappoint in sales like the 3DS, I'll be amazed.

This year has been pretty awful for game releases, so hopefully it'll be fixed with a few announcements.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Dear lord, I just saw the new WiiU controller.

Okay, um, this is practically an Xbox controller with the joysticks in different spots. It looks horribly uncomfortable.

I thought they were changing the name of the WiiU? Because honestly, that's quite a... well, a dumb name. Bleaugh, I don't like Nintendo anymore.

But I am looking forward to more 3DS games. More JRPGs pleases and thank-yous.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • If this doesn't disappoint in sales like the 3DS, I'll be amazed.
    You're talking about the 3DS that sold faster and more than the DS did in the same time span, right? And in a worse economic climate to boot? If it sells that well, I'd be amazed.

Their pro controller or whatever its called looked wonky. Some cross between a 360 controller and the Wii's Classic Controller Pro, but with the left stick in a weird spot. Nintendo generally designs their controllers for their own games, not third party developers. The N64 was a weird looking thing and awkward on a lot of games not made by Nintendo. The GameCube had a gigantic A button because Miyamoto wanted games to go in a direction of simplicity. The Wii is self-evident. On the GCN and with the Classic Controller on the Wii and heck even the afterthough the second stick for the 3DS... Nintendo generally does not use the second stick. So, if you ignore the second stick the buttons are where they think is best. The stick is there for third-parties to use if they want.

I was thinking the same thing when the tablet was first shown. "Why is the stick up there?" Heck, Nintendo probably just has it for left-handed accessibility. The buttons and D pad would easily be interchangeable.

What I think tonight's video event was was really just showing off the boring stuff now. Hopefully Tuesday ends up being just games, games, games. They showed today what gamers have been lamenting the most in their recent E3 presentations - the interactive gimmick. So, they showed it off today instead. Tuesday has to be about games.

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Dear lord, I just saw the new WiiU controller.

Okay, um, this is practically an Xbox controller with the joysticks in different spots. It looks horribly uncomfortable.

I thought they were changing the name of the WiiU? Because honestly, that's quite a... well, a dumb name. Bleaugh, I don't like Nintendo anymore.

But I am looking forward to more 3DS games. More JRPGs pleases and thank-yous.

That analog stick placement looks pretty ass, not gonna lie. It'll only be good for shooters, considering just about every other genre uses the face buttons.

This E3 is going to be crap, sans a few things. Konami's pre-show was just a taste of the mediocrity. The only thing that would redeem it would be Mr Caffeine.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • It's times like these that I wish that someone would come out with a controller with 6 face buttons besides the start/select nonsense (Sega Saturn!). Bah. I do like that controller, although I'm guessing it has that horrid shiny finish that the classic controllers had. Fingerprints!

But, I do like that they're doing more in the online sector. It'd be wonderfully surprised if they did something with online connectivity that Sony/MS would decide they want to emulate.

I hope that new games offer a choice between the traditional controller and the tablet.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    But, I do like that they're doing more in the online sector. It'd be wonderfully surprised if they did something with online connectivity that Sony/MS would decide they want to emulate..
    Haven't they already? Nintendo Network? I remember something about that a little while back in a Nintendo Magazine email. Hang on a sec, I'll find some wiki and some links.

EDIT: Here we go, here's a Wikipedia page. And I think whilst I was googling, I found some stuff about something called "Miiverse". So Nintendo are getting their fingers in those pies. About time, too. Friend codes = bleaugh.

Back