• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Element 113, 115, 117, and 118's name proposals is up for public review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
  • Following earlier reports that the claims for discovery of these elements have been fulfilled [1, 2], the discoverers have been invited to propose names and the following are now disclosed for public review:

Nihonium and symbol Nh, for the element 113,
    Moscovium and symbol Mc, for the element 115,
    Tennessine and symbol Ts, for the element 117, and
    Oganesson and symbol Og, for the element 118.

The IUPAC Inorganic Chemistry Division has reviewed and considered these proposals and recommends these for acceptance. A five-month public review is now set, expiring 8 November 2016, prior to the formal approval by the IUPAC Council.

Source

What do you think of this news? Personally, I found these discoveries very interesting, like we've finally found all of the 7th row elements, and now we have names for it.

Now, researchers are now focused on finding the 8th row elements, and tbh this is all I have to say on the matter...

25fsqpf.jpg

Discuss!

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I thought element 115 was called Divinium?

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • This is a huge leap forward in chemistry, not to mention it's finally going to put names on the Ununs. xD It'll also be interesting to see what sort of periodicity they'll show, and if it's different from the normal trends.

Correct me if I'm wrong but none of the "8th row" elements have been found yet, right? o:

I thought element 115 was called Divinium?
    It was Ununpentium till now. xD

Years
  • This is a huge leap forward in chemistry, not to mention it's finally going to put names on the Ununs. xD It'll also be interesting to see what sort of periodicity they'll show, and if it's different from the normal trends.

Correct me if I'm wrong but none of the "8th row" elements have been found yet, right? o:

I don't even know if there's a certainty an eighth row exists.

As for these particular elements, it's exciting because we have to synthesise them ourselves but I'm curious to see what further scientific information they provide us and what uses we can put them too.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • Finally I've know about these elements for years under the sudoname UU but it's really interesting we have finally managed to create them. And considering how long we've know about these but unable to stabilise them, I doubt row 8 will be any time soon

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Tennessine is a lovely name :c.

I dunno about whether we'll achieve an 8th row. I suppose we can't rule out the possibility (or maybe we can, I'm no chemist :')).

tbh this is all I have to say on the matter...

0mKXcg1.gif

(I actually have used that joke in school before OH THE SHAME).

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I sorta liked the unun names, but I find these ones better. Can't wait to see what happens!

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I didn't mind the Unun names honestly, I thought most of them sounded pretty cool and I'm a bit sad to see them go. Oh well, it can't be worse than Livermorium.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Ew, place names. Where's muh Greek.

I just wonder what the elements on something like the 20th row are like.
    I look at the island of stability and wonder what's in that huge grey mass to the right...
    Island_of_Stability_derived_from_Zagrebaev.png

D-poke

Fairly Far Fetched
    Years
  • Do we have to get an Illinoisium before we get a Wisconsinium? I think we should do more analogies also, like use other planets (Pallas & Ceres were considered planets when they got elements) or other continents? I also can't wait for the G-block!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back