• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Elements you DON'T want to see in the future Pokémon core games

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    First, this isn't limited to any Gen VI or Gen 7 games and second, this isn't a speculation thread either. I've created this thread as I've heard of people often complaining they don't want this and they don't want that. That's not to say I'm perfectly satisfied for every Pokémon game we've have so far, in fact I have my own too. Try not to make your post sound over-negative though. :P

Mine:
    Slow games/bad frame rate - I don't wanna see any laggy games or games with slow frame rate, it's just unacceptable for me. These stuff shouldn't be existing at this age already.

Lack of diversity in regional dex - No, just no. I might make an exception for the Kanto reboot/DPt remakes, if there's gonna be one anyway. But please no more of these kind of disappointing Pokédex.

Lack of new Pokémon - Over 70 Pokémon isn't acceptable in this era. It's understandable if we were still in the GB/GBC period because of the memory and size limitation of game paks. But everything's colored and 3D now, they can create a lot of Megas but why not get creative for more Pokémon? Fortunately, Gen VI Pokémon aren't really disappointing on the design aspect.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    1. I don't want a second region, if it doesn't bring something new to the table.
    2. A Follow-Me-Feature that doesn't have any relevance in the game, outside of letting a Pokemon follow you
    3. Serial Codes
    4. too many Pokemon for the sake of having a lot of new Pokemon
    5. a Regional Dex
    With Wondertrade being a feature, that's probably meant to stay, you can easily get Pokemon you're not supposed to get until way later in the game. But even if you obtain one, it's still considered unknown, which I think, is just stupid. Instead I'd like to see a dynamically growing Pokedex that can hold the data of all Pokemon that exist, but that has different sorting options, that put Pokemon in places that correspond to the relevance of you encountering said Pokemon just as a default. You are going to encounter Pokemon that you can find in the region way more than those outside of it, which means they are listed higher up in the Pokedex, but at the same time, you still have the option to switch to National Dex mode, which lists everything the traditional way.

Years
  • I'm with most of what Unapologetic said in the OP.

Slow frame rate and lag is annoying, and a huge reason why Diamond & Pearl (Platinum not as much) are unplayable for most of the time because everything is so darn slow. The frame rate has been solid for most games but 6th Gen's horde battles create obvious lag that is just annoying.

Also, the Pokedex diversity issues. As seen in some regional Dexes (looking at you, Hoenn and D/P Sinnoh) there is quite a huge lack in certain types and that really limits your options for teambuilding. B2/W2 and X/Y got regional Dexes right by having a huge variety of Pokemon and that allows for flexible team building options. Game Freak need to learn more from this and the fact they need to get it right in the future.

Reactions: Sun

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I think the 70 Pokemon were acceptable BECAUSE of size/time restraints. Think about the fact that X/Y was a complete overhaul of the entire series. They couldn't use sprites anymore, so they had to make a brand new model for -every single Pokemon- from the ground up. They also had to develop 3D for the entire region, work in a new type, and work in Megas as a new thing. Not to mention, if you count Megas, Generation VI has given us a really, really solid variety of new Pokemon. I don't entirely count them, but they DID apply to how many models they had to design for X/Y.

Would I prefer more than 70? Definitely, especially if they're going to space them out as much as they did, but given their reasoning... I think it's acceptable. And as mentioned, they had good designs for the most part, so it seems like they put more thought and time into each one, unlike certain generations. I'd rather have 90% of the new Pokemon be GOOD designs... than 50% of them be awful.

I can't think of any features I specifically want gone that aren't already gone, though, except for how HM's work. There's a million ways to make them suck less, and as a concept they're fine, I just hate how they're used. But for the most part, as long as a feature is optional I don't mind it existing; more options is always better. I just hate when they FORCE these things on you to 'make sure you learn them'... even if I just don't care. Most of them aren't exactly complicated, I'll figure it out later! At -least- give me the option to skip the tutorial on it if I choose... looking at you, B2/W2 and your movie making.

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
    Years
  • When I first saw this I thought by "elements" you meant "Pokemon types".... but I guess that's relevant.
    I don't want to see any new Pokemon types. I really don't think there are anything they could add that would make sense, especially not "Light" or "Sound" types.

I agree with everything that's been said here, too. I think there needs to be a huge Pokedex like there was in X. I loved how the entire region was broken up into 3 sections each with 150 Pokemon each. For the next new game, I also think there needs to be about the standard 150 new Pokemon, if possible. Gen VI has a lot of great Pokemon and I hope they can keep up with that. I don't want more modern Pokemon. *looks at Unova*

I also kind of hated how they re-used a lot of the visual elements from X/Y in ORAS, because I wasn't really fond of them in the first place. I agree that the 3D does look really fantastic, but a lot of it looks... weird. I don't like how the borders of grassy areas are just big green masses?? That's just my opinion and I'm probably being too critical.

Also, I NEED more postgame content. Neither X/Y nor OR/AS had the amount I was used to in previous games. Sinnoh, Johto and Unova all had HUGE areas to explore after becoming the champion, and neither gen VI games had that. Completing the games is no longer the fun part.
    And please, PLEASE get rid of the Battle Maison. I like it, but not alone. I need the huge battle Frontier in Sinnoh and Johto. I also really loved Pokewood and the Pokeathlon and I'd love to see extras like that again.

OH, but the most important thing!!! DIFFICULTY SETTINGS. Pokemon used to be very difficult. I remember having a lot of trouble when I was a kid with gym leaders and whatnot and I miss that so much. I understand they make it easier for kids who just started playing, but what about the older fans that have been playing since gen 1 or 2???? Easy games are BORING. I need a challenge, and I find Gen VI games REALLY lacking in the challenge department. I think there should definitely be an option to make the game more difficult, such as increasing trainer's levels and stats, and maybe even add a few more. I really love the difficulty settings in ATLUS games and I'd love to see similar systems implemented in Pokemon.

another opinionated thing is... I don't really wanna see possible romantic relationships between the player and the rival?? I don't have a problem with shipping at all! It's just.. I don't play Pokemon to see 10 year olds having crushes on each other. You don't need romance to make a good game. Pokemon has been fantastic without it for over 15 years.

That's all I can think of. Also I want the original Nurse Joy back thank you very much​

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Hard to Grind/Lacking of wild pokemon that could level - Things like in HGSS would be proven bit difficult to level since the trainers out there are considerably higher than yours and wild pokemon doesn't have the right level to balance up it makes it harder to grind and battling trainers that exceed your level and only good source are chansey which I explained on HGSS disappointment. Adding this would counter the measure between the scales

The regional league are cake walk - Should gym leaders, champion and elite four should be more diverse and hard to overcome? It should be because XY pokemon league are so easy while other trainer class are more diverse and well balanced and in future core series it should be bring on the pressure and challenging rather not taking things seriously

Slowness/Low FP rating - Before Platinum. D/P have some serious lag spike and very slow save. I mean how much time needed to save the game? You need few seconds and no more than that

Regional Dex - All core series starts at regional dex where you begin with and certain pokemon may not appear on the dex because due to Wonder Trade or Trading with people over PSS. It won't record the trades until you get national dex which some mid-way progression. I hope new core series allow us to have national dex instead of regionized dex

Lack of Postgame Content - I don't mind having 2 regions to make it more fun and playable, but seriously after Looker on XY there's not much to do. ORAS postgame is twice much better than XY. Postgame keep us happy and occupied

TOO much pokemon - I'm looking at you gamefreak! While releasing new mons are fine (megas doesn't count). but too much is put the pokedex into weight to record all the new mons on either dexs

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • 1. Really easy Elite Four. The E4 in X and Y were way too easy to beat. I'm not even sure why they were so easy either. I'm tempted to say it was due to the level curve, but the E4 was considerably easier than even the gym leaders.

2. Linearity. Black & White are the most guilty in this regard. I didn't care much for how the whole game was essentially a straight line from Nuvema Town to the Elite Four, with very few side locations to stop and explore along the way. BW2 and later games fixed this though, so I don't think this is very likely to happen again :)

3. Overpowered legends. Not in terms of stats but in terms of story and the role they play in the Pokemon universe. This was most prevalent in Gen 4, where we got the Pokemon that's literally God. Not that I dislike the Sinnoh legendaries--I actually really like them. It just feels a little weird having the gods of time and space and the creator of the universe itself under the command of a 12 year old :P

1. I don't want a second region, if it doesn't bring something new to the table.
    2. A Follow-Me-Feature that doesn't have any relevance in the game, outside of letting a Pokemon follow you
    3. Serial Codes
    4. too many Pokemon for the sake of having a lot of new Pokemon
    5. a Regional Dex
    With Wondertrade being a feature, that's probably meant to stay, you can easily get Pokemon you're not supposed to get until way later in the game. But even if you obtain one, it's still considered unknown, which I think, is just stupid. Instead I'd like to see a dynamically growing Pokedex that can hold the data of all Pokemon that exist, but that has different sorting options, that put Pokemon in places that correspond to the relevance of you encountering said Pokemon just as a default. You are going to encounter Pokemon that you can find in the region way more than those outside of it, which means they are listed higher up in the Pokedex, but at the same time, you still have the option to switch to National Dex mode, which lists everything the traditional way.

Your #1 and #2 are actually the two biggest things I've wanted them to bring back haha. Though it would be even better if we got a game that introduced 2 new regions, rather than 1 new region and an old one. I loved the following Pokemon feature, but I guess it would be nice if they introduced the option to turn it on or off for the people who don't like it :)

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • The inability to nickname traded Pokemon - The amount of times I have had to release a Pokemon because of an insulting or nonsensical nickname is ridiculous. An option to reset to the default name would be a start.

Nicknaming legendaries -In Game there is only one of them. It seems silly that the likes of Mewtwo or Kyogre would have a cute or quirky nickname.

Years
  • The inability to nickname traded Pokemon - The amount of times I have had to release a Pokemon because of an insulting or nonsensical nickname is ridiculous. An option to reset to the default name would be a start.

It's so disturbing that even six generations into Pokemon we still cannot rename traded Pokemon all because of the stupid claim that the name "holds a bond with its original trainer" is just absolutely annoying. 7th Gen needs to fix this, so we don't have to endure the possibility of getting traded Pokemon with bad names.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • The only problem I want fixed are how the HMs are handled. I get why they're like that, but teaching Cut to anything other than an HM slave just seems like an enormous waste because it's such a crappy move. The fact that you need an HM slave on just about every play through just so you don't give up precious move slots on the pokemon you actually care about says a lot to me, and I really think the system should be overhauled. I'm not sure what they could do to make them different than TMs, but at least buff the power of Cut, because I die a little on the inside every time I use it, HM slave or not.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    The only problem I want fixed are how the HMs are handled. I get why they're like that, but teaching Cut to anything other than an HM slave just seems like an enormous waste because it's such a crappy move. The fact that you need an HM slave on just about every play through just so you don't give up precious move slots on the pokemon you actually care about says a lot to me, and I really think the system should be overhauled. I'm not sure what they could do to make them different than TMs, but at least buff the power of Cut, because I die a little on the inside every time I use it, HM slave or not.

An HM Helper is actually a waste of slot in the team. So I'd rather have some Key Item to clear our path, in a similar fashion to the Colress Machine from Black 2 and White 2. I recall I was laughed at when I mentioned a water motorbike though.

Surf, Waterfall, or perhaps Fly are the only worthy ones to remain as HM.

Back